Howling for coyotes

One of the things that no one has spoke of is if two or three guys hunt together, and all of them howl. This technique works really well.

The key I found is to sound like immature males, and when you challenge, sound like an immature male.

When a pack of coyotes think that a group of immature males has moved in on their territory, they come in multiples.

Be sure that you have the wounded pup call handy for when you shoot, it just gets them to pour on the steam to get there faster.

I may make a 45 minute to an hour stand when I have a group working like this.

Good luck, and find a hunting partner that would love to learn to howl.

It may help that various kind of howlers be used by different guys. I avoid the deep soundiing howlers unless I am challengiing a boss dog to come in and fight.

would anyone have any idea on what howls to use, i think it is breeding season and would like to know wich howling sounds to use at this time of year
TT

Check out Carvercalls.com,he makes gorgeous and great sounding howlers,his calls are exceptional,i'm not saying other callers don't make better sounding,ask around.

I have 2 cocobolo howlers from him i orederd by accident,they both are alike,grain a bit differant,really gorgeous,i can sell you one for $30,i can send a pic,PM me if interested.Free shipping.

Oiler, ordered 2 howlers by accident? Funny, you can buy a top grade cocobolo howler from the Carver website for $24.95. Shipping included. Not $30.00.

I once set up and started calling, starting out with a lone howl, I repeated this in 5 minutes waited 5 more and went into a rabbit distress. I scaned slowly around and saw a bobcat in the 10lb catagory 80 yards looking at me. I dont know how tuff he thought he was, but I know how tuff he would need to be to steal a rabbit from one of these big eastern coyotes. I let this cat walk do to size and a one cat limit in lower Michigan. This took place in January with a heavy snow falling, little to no wind at 2:00 in the afternoon. I have never before or since called a cat with howling involved, and almost always hunt in good cat areas. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused1.gif

Hey guys, im a noobie kinda to howling anyway and I know that the yotes are breeding now so I have some questions reguarding the "female invitaion howl".

How much do you use it at a stand. Do you let it run for 2-3 "howls" or do you let it run for a "set" amout of time, say 5 min?
When a yote replies to the female invite what should you do? Howl back using the inve again or start up with a distress sound? Or would you do a male challenge howl or a lonsome howl or what? Im open for everyones info.
thanks
carl

Quote:
I've tried 3 0r 4 howler calls and have found them all very hard to use. Can you recommend a good easy to use call?

Jerry Hunsley's Wiley One Howler is extra easy to learn to use. KO Predator Solution's Black Coyote Howler is an excellent howler and easy to blow.

Quote:
Oiler, ordered 2 howlers by accident? Funny, you can buy a top grade cocobolo howler from the Carver website for $24.95. Shipping included. Not $30.00.

Sorry,i thought i paid $30,it was a gift anyway buy him,so i need to keep it,sorry for the error.

I have some Info for the hunters of PA, The female invitations are made from christmas till jan 15th. and then theres a lul in vocalizations till mid to late feb. Then they seem to start talking again.

Great post Rich,i been howling eveynight when i get home and had not one cote respond,within the last month or so.could they be quite this time of year since they are starting to drop there pups,or most likely i am howling wrong,howling takes alot of practice,really any open reed,i try to practice as much as possible.If they do respond all the domestic dogs in my area start going bersrk and can't hear if a cote is singing,LOL.

When out locateing at nite the coyotes are not going to answer you every time. I usually have my best luck when the sky is clear and no moon and very little wind.. I also found out my hearing is'nt the greastest so i take my 10 year old son along when out locateing and he can hear them over 3/4 of a mile away. Once located then i move around and get closer so i can hear them and then I can tell how many there are and if there are any young ones in the bunch..
Howling is a usefull tool but it can also ruin youre stands. dureing the summer and early fall the pups will tend to shy away from howling. Most are still trying to establish there own territorie or maybe still with mom and pop and they are'nt looking to get there butts kicked yet..
The howling will work to get in the older coyotes but animal distress sounds would be best to use if you are after the yoy and then you may also get an adult to respond also...
I like to use rabbit distress on my stands first and as a last resort go to a howl.. but if i'm targeting older coyotes then i use just coyote vocals and this is done later in the year...T/[beeep]

that happened to me the other night, that coyote was mad, but wouldn't come in to range. next time i'll have the rifle not the shotgun.

I would sure like to hear those sounds in the first three threads of this post by Rich Cronk, but when I try to open any of them I get a white screen saying "DNS ERROR." Anyone know how I can get to listen to these?? Sure would appreciate any help.

Jim

Back