Howling for coyotes

Hobbes,
Sometimes we can do everything right and still get skunked. I don't see anything in your post that tells me you screwed up. Sounds like I would have handled the situation in same way you did. We all have questions about coyotes. Keep after em, you are doing good.

have an area i dear hunted this past year for the first time.was walking in , in the dark with my buddy and the howling let lose out in front of us a few hundred yards, went on for a couple minuates, then went silent for a good 10 min. and it was still dark in the am , after the ten min silence a pack let loose several hundred yards south for a bit. across the road behind us. would this other group be the same pack messin with us, or another group mouthin off to the first one? the sound was weird like several of them all at the same time. was pretty cool. not the first time ive had that happen in that area in the predawn darkness. are they vocal like that cause were in they're territory, or just a case of the right time right place? and how would you hunt that area, several hundred acres of mountain laural swamp surrounded by a stone quarry, and wooded hills with looging trails, and the quarry not in use from fall to spring?

nightrider82664,
Night hunting is likely best where legal and you are properly set up for it. We can't use lights for night hunting here in Iowa. I like early morning as first choice, with late afternoon being a close second.

broknaero,
What you heard was group/yip howls. It sounds like you heard a second family group answer with their own group/yip howl. How I would hunt it would be to scout the area for good calling locations. I prefer calling from high points where I can look down into the area where I expect coyotes to be holed up for the day.

What does a young coyote howl sound like? I've been practicing blowing on the calls trying to get a feel of how to make different types of coyote vocalizations. I think I could make a female interagation howl or a puppy howl.....but I'm not sure of the cadence, pitch, rythm, etc.

Thanks,

Perri

Thanks Mr Cronk.
I actually saw that version in another thread and have used it to practice with. :)
Am I on line in thinking that the young howls are higher pitched and not raspy?
Perri

can you explain kiyis to me rich or link one for me to listen too! i went hunting yotes for the first time saturday, and i was the best sounding caller of the 2, and would like to pick up on this some more! i do know how to do the lonesome call, and the challenge. but i keep seeing everyone talking about kiying and i am not sure of what it is. thanks ps.. not sure of the group/yip howls either! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused1.gif

Last edited:
Not to still Riches Thunder but the ki YI is a sound a coyote or dog make when its in pain or suffering so to speak and is a sound often used when more than 2 coyote are called in to a stand after one dog has been shot or killed callers will use this sound to get the other coyotes to stop by making them think there mate or companion has been hurt or needs help
I first herd this sound when I used a shock coller on my dog (I am still sorry BUD) he is a Chocolate Lab and my son was playing with the remote for it in the truck on the way Pheasant Hunting and little did I know it was on 10 power
anyway in the field hunting and up pops a doe deer and Bud was hot on its tail so i did the dirty deed and let him have it after i about went horse trying to call him back
it was a RRRUUUURRRT RRRUUUURRRT sound over and over
I am positive every one has herd this sound when a dog makes it
But back to the coyotes I called in a pair one morning in a pasture I was facing the wind and they where headed strait for me after lip sqeaking them in from about 75 yards to about 20 I let out the old wooooof woooof they stoped and I wounded one in the leg and it was doing the something bit me spins so I let out another shot and hit it right in the hind end while its mate was about 50yds away on a dead run
the other way, after the coyote hit the ground it started yelping kind of like my dog did but with a little higher pitch KKKKIIIIIYYYYYYTT KKKKIIIIIIYYYYYYTT over and over
But I noticed the other coyote had stoped and was tured looking back at its mate to see what was going on the was the worst mistake of its life at about 70yds it droped in its traks with a little help from the .223
so you see a KI YI is a dog or yote indistress in a way but its a great way to get a got away yote to stop or can be used just to get there mind wondering what is going on over there and I have seen them come to check it out or i gess to them see why there is a coyote in distress

Last edited:
In the situation you just described , I have had luck moving closer and using pup distress. Don't overdue it just enough for them to hear it. If you got in there without out them detecting you, there is a good chance they will come.

I just found this thread. Lots of helpful information in here for a newbie like me. Thanks guys! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif

I have got my new foxpro fx3 loaded with coyote sounds, The bad news is my arm is in a sling if there is anyone wanting to go out this weekend I just need someone to be the shooter I am In crawford county Ohio If so email me @ killallcats@hotmail.com Tony

Tony, Some of us are meeting Saturday morning in Coshocton, Ohio to do some scouting and a little hunting. We are scouting in prepartion for a group hunt on the 10th. I'm a newbie myself but some experienced callers are running this show. Your more than welcome to join us. We are meeting at 8:30am at the Mcdonalds on the corner of 2nd street and 541 in Coshocton. We will be heading over to the Woodbury Wildlife Area. Something like 20,000 acres. Check out the Woodbury hunt thread.

I used a cow horn howler to make all sounds used in the demo links. I no longer advocate the use of barks while calling. Younger and more timid coyotes might be intimidated by the barks, and therefor less likely to approach. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

Back