Howling for coyotes

Rich Cronk

I receive a lot of questions in regard to calling coyotes with a howler. Here is a simple method that will work all year around. I like to begin my calling stand with two or three lonesome howls which are spaced several seconds apart. Using a high pitched howl like a younger coyote seems like a good idea. If the following link works, you can click on it and hear one example of a lonesome howl.

Last edited by a moderator:
After your series of lonesome howls, simply wait in silence for about three minutes. If you don't have a coyote show up or answer back with howl of his own, simply repeat your lonesome howl sequence. Wait another three minutes in silence. Still no customers? Give em some pup squeals.

During your first series of howls, you may well get a vocal answer from a resident coyote. Most times, that coyote is warning the stranger to get the heck out of town. I call this a challenge howl, and here are a couple of examples.

When you get a vocal answer to your howling, try to use your howler to say same thing that the real coyote just did. Coyote gets very upset when he is being mocked like that.

Hey Rich,
Great tips as usual! Do you ever throw in a rabbit distress after the lonesome howl or after a challenge howl has been returned?

Thanks for the tips!!! Just yesterday I was wondering about how to do what you just
discribed.

I still havent called one in yet but im still reading an learning from this forum... im sure my time is comming closer with every tip I learn from here...
Thanks /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

[/QUOTE] my time is comming closer with every tip I learn from here...
Thanks /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif Thanks from us newcomers in NC!!! working on ubb codes ,i'm getting there /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

BeaverMaster Here,
After establishing successful contact (Constant returned calling) with a pack of Coyote's have you ever had a problem getting them to move from a particular location or ridge top? I have had alot of success in pressured areas moving to them rather than having them come to you. Is this a typical technique you have used? Whats a strategy to get them to move to you? We have been playing the wind and crawling the last 75 yards to bring our position within 75yards to 100yards of the pack and then positioning a shooter around the caller so that when the pack does charge we have a man in position to intercept the pack before they move in or wind the caller (Safety position). The problem with this is its a time consuming (crawling the last 75 yards can take up to 1/2-1 hour while trying to maintain contact) and difficult strategy but it works to get the pack to charge our position. The problem is the risk of detection when moving within close range, especially during the charge by the pack they usually split and circle from both sides. So I was wondering if there is a technique that can entice them to move to us, rather us to them? We have packs come to us with success but in late season situations moving the pack in pressured areas is at times difficult. Moving in on a talkative pack really gets them to charge and leave their position, but I would like to have an option to try before having to crawl in . We have had a 90% success rate lately but would like to have other options (easier) if possible. Thanks TheBeaverMaster

Getting the pack closer. We had them coming in, but might have been set up wrong. A field was in between us and them. They would not cross the field. They were mad and wound up. While we were calling and switched to a rabbit in distress, A pick-up truck drove down the railroad tracks and quieted the whole situation.

Also, called one into the area and saw the eyes at night but did not shoot because I wanted to make sure it was not a deer. It did as they are known to and went down wind. He never looked back at the light. No barking at us but just left area?

BeaverMaster81,
I have had that happen a time or three alright. Sometimes it is because they are on the edge of their territorial border. Other times it is simply because they think something is wrong, and they ain't quite brave enough to come closer. You are correct in assuming that there are times when moving in on them is the only option. I almost always hunt alone, so waiting for another day and setting up in slightly different location is usually my choice. Does it always work? Nope, but a man has got to try don't he? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

my problem is i live and hunt in a populated area and when i start to howl i have every domestic dog in the neighborhood barking at me. So i find it difficult to use howls, however i would like to try more because nothing else seems to be working.

Vmax blaster. Howling is working for use and we too get the local dogs yapping. Just let them yap. Oh and getting out of the dogs yard helps /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif .

Skinner 2

Stumped,
You have my permission sir. Folks with new Loudmouth or Fox pro callers whould be able to load the sounds from the computer, and directly into the caller. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

When I try to open up any of the .wav files, they download in about 1min. (dialup), then when they have downloaded I get an "access to device path denied". What the heck is that?

The above links seem to be playing on "Quick time", at least they are on MY computer. Try downloading Quick time and try that.

Back