how many pellets to kill a turkey?

22cat

i was just wondering about how many pellets of
#6 shot
#5 shot and
#4 shot
it takes to kill a turkey. and also if it takes more at greater distences.
i have only killed one turkey my whole life and it was only 5 steps away from where i was setting.( it snuck in silently from behind and started makeing that loud pecking noise and that is when i turned around to see him and nocked his head off.) /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif
thanks guys

im thinking the targets want around 10 pellets in the kill zones..

from what I have read, the size of the shot becomes important beyond 40 yards. It takes 2 1/2lbs of pressure to break a turkeys neck and beyond 40 yards, it is said 6 shot does not carry the weight.

technically, it should only take one pellet to the brain, but the more the better. I rely more on the pellets to the base of the neck than the head.

It all depends on distance and shot size. I have killed them with 7-1/2's. My favorite load is #5 shot. It has enough shot to pattern well and they are heavy enough to penetrate when shot to the head neck region. I aim for the feather line on the neck, not the head.

Just remember, if you break his neck it will knock his pecker in the dirt.

Quote:
It all depends on distance and shot size. I have killed them with 7-1/2's. My favorite load is #5 shot. It has enough shot to pattern well and they are heavy enough to penetrate when shot to the head neck region. I aim for the feather line on the neck, not the head.

Just remember, if you break his neck it will knock his pecker in the dirt.

I have yet to see a turkey pecker... of course I dont look for them /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

They eat with their pecker.

peck·er (pkr)
n.
1. One that pecks, as a bird's bill.
2. Chiefly British Slang Courage; pluck.

Winchester did a test years ago shooting live turkeys and determined that 5 - 7 pellets were the least amount needed IN THE BONE STRUCTURE OF THE NECK AND SKULL, actual bone - not just the meaty portions, to reliably kill turkeys. Over 40 yards lead #6's weren't reliably able to break the bones. I've cleanly killed gobblers at 50 yards with plated lead #5's, but I'm still getting a dozen pellets in the neck/skull at that range.

Well one pellet in the right spot will kill one but I wouldn't count on that. Best to use a 10 inch circle to compare your loads. 100 hits in a 10 inch circle at 40 yards is the bare minimum that I'd use.

Too few pellets for a full pattern at extended ranges, and, it is illegal in many states. Largest shot you can use for turkeys in many states is #4's. You want to break the neck/skull of the gobbler, not shoot one in the body. Body shots fail with small shot.

Back