Savage Model 12 Varminter Low Profile

BWB

Any one out there have one of these in the .243 caliber? I want a .243 for 55 - 62 grain bullets and with the 1:9.25 twist in the 26" barrel I thought this might be the way to go? There aren't too many manufacturers out there making a .243 with a stainless bull barrel, anyone have any advice on this?
Here's the link for those who want a peek - http://www.savagearms.com/12Varminter.htm

Got this one in 25-06. Shoots great, Heavy as He!!.
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

DSC_0053.JPG

I got the 22-250 1 in 9 twist. It shoots like a dream!! By far the best shooting rifle out of the box i ever shot.

Quote:
Got this one in 25-06. Shoots great, Heavy as He!!.
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

DSC_0053.JPG

does it have a fluted barrel looks sweet need range report please I have a vls in 243.win but like the stainless /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif

243VLS

They are fluted but not very deep (for looks). I shoot .5 at 100 usually. i have shot .3s a number of times. I do reload for this and it has never seen factory ammo but even my first reloads shot sub-moa

You will not go wrong with a Savage. I have a 12FVSS in 22-250 and 223, and also a 116BGH 25-06. All three will put 5 shots in a cloverleaf at 100yrd if I do my part. My shooting buddy has a VLP in 223 and a 12FV in 243 and they are just as accurate.

Jason

I have that same 243 vlp savage and it is shooting 1" groups at 400yds with 87gr v-max's and about the same with 95gr bergers, but still looking for something better (Its a sickness)... never shot light bullets because it does not make sense. There like firecrackers at longer ranges instead of artillary shells.

Quote:
I have that same 243 vlp savage and it is shooting 1" groups at 400yds with 87gr v-max's and about the same with 95gr bergers, but still looking for something better (Its a sickness)... never shot light bullets because it does not make sense. There like firecrackers at longer ranges instead of artillary shells.

Let me get this straight.....You are trying to get better than 1/4 MOA at 400 yards? For what reason?

Chupa

This build is strictly for the use of thinning some prairie dogs, I don't need heavy bullets to accomplish this task. I want to go with the lighter bullets for speed and a flatter trajectory, so to me it DOES make sense and for the simple fact that they don't make Varmint Grenades in anything heavier than a 62 grain for a .243 (that I've seen yet) /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

I'm having trouble finding a 12 vlp in 243. Would the model 12 fv(synthetic stock, blued barrel) shoot as well as the stainless wood stock model?

Thanks

easy_money,

I just got my 12 FV in .223, 2 weeks ago. I started the whole barrel break in. Halfway through 1 box of Remington factory loads and 55 grn PSP, it was shooting sub .5 groups at 100 yards. I was really impressed. Stock is a bit rough it was touching the left side of the barrel out of the box, but the dremel tool took care of it. Will be replacing the stock with a B&C Duramaxx stock in the near future.

I'm sure you can expect the same performance from the .243. Savage is the way to go!

I have a Savage 12FV in a 243 Cal. Shoots great as dose the 22-250, 223, & the 204 all Savage brand the 22-250 & the 223 are stainless. Later J.J.

I just love to read all the positive feedback on the Savages! I guess thats because I am a Savage fan! I am getting the opportunity to buy back a Savage I sold a few years back that I regretted doing. Wont be letting that one go again!

Well it's ordered and should be here tomorrow,I'm going to work up some loads with some Combined Technology 55 grain silver ballistic tips and some Barnes 62 grain Varmint Grenades and see what happens when I get a chance to shoot them?? Thanks for all of the replies!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif

Quote:

1" groups at 400 yards ok yotes at 300 with a 17 hmr to ha /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Thanks guys, they sound like awesome guns. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif
I'll get one coming my way.Still haven't decided stainless or blued, leaning stainless. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Quote:

Are you on the competition circuit, you should be!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smiliesmack.gif

Your name isn't Tony by chance is it? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused1.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused1.gif

It is a sickness, its called "mythomania"!!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Back