Taxidermist Problem!!!!!!!

d2admin

Administrator
I took a bobcat in last Jan. 14, after calling several times and being told 2 wks. repeatedly for tha last 6 mnths I went to see him , he said soon , that was 2 mnths. ago Now I cant get a answer on the phone or I get the same bull$$$$ , any suggestions what I can do ?????
Thanks, zapper /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/mad.gif

I dont have any answers to your problems, but can tell you this. With most taxidermists , first the must skin, fles and salt the hide. Then they usually wait till they have enough hides before they ship them to the tannery. Tannerys usually take between 30 -90 days and sometimes longer. An average wait for a complete mount is anywhere from 12 months up to a year and a half and sometimes longer. Your taxidermist should have been up front with you in the first place.

I agree crapshoot he should have been . The worst part of the whole deal is when I took it to him I asked if it would be 6 mnths or so and he said a big NO! it would be less than that , that he did his own tanning and would be more like 4 mnths. I gave him 6 before I even called , the rest is in my 1st. post.
zapper /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

well, im in the same boat with a taxidermist that has a coyote of mine. i took it to him on november 10, 2003. he still has it and has never called me on it. ive called him 3 times and he has his little girl answer the phone.he wont talk to me, he screens the calls. he told me about december that it would only take about 2-3 weeks to get it done. well i wouldnt be writing this post if it was done now would i. now i know he has taken deer from this years season and i wonder where my coyote is sitting. i understand that there is alot of detail in doing a full mount but at the same time he just called a friend of mine to let him know that his pelt was done that he had tanned for him. he took him the pelt the same day i took mine in for a full mount.so if it took him 14 months to tan a hide, im looking to get my mount back about september of 2006. not bad huh.

Your questions might be better answered by logging on to taxidermy.net.There they have a forum page anybody can post on. They also have list's of State Organazations with contact sources.Usualy the people there are very helpful and very professional.Sorry to here your your having problems.
My wifes uncle took a nice Elk a fews years ago,took it to his local taxidermist for a Euoroean mount.He is still waiting. Just a few weeks ago his Taxiderist informed him, "He Can't Find It".

If he loses my critters I'll be the one looking for somthing and it'll be my boot cause it'll be buried up his @@@
LOL zapper /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/mad.gif

That tend to burn my butt as well. I am a new taxidermist and dont see why any taxidermist wont atleast be honest or atleast call about the time frame. Yeah I avoid ppl I dont wanna talk to but never a customer only sales ppl lol.
Have you been to his shop by chance? Maybe a face to face visit will help speed it up or just see how far he has gotten with it if its not mounted tell him you would like it back and will pay for the tanning and prep work.
Also I do know some not all but some taxidermists that get more than one call from a customer about their mount if he or she dosent have it done might get ticked and set it off to the side. Thats sad but true with some ppl in the business. :eek: Any questions you might have feel free to email me andyswildlifecreations@yahoo.com.

I hope and pray my deer doesnt take that long...

The guy i go to wont start working on a project until at least half the cost is put down. Guys go in with twenty bucks and expect to have it done in a month, he'd never get anything done.

i had the same problem with my 1st deer. i payed half up front and it took almost a year before i ever got my deer back. finally i seen the guy at a hunting show and asked him about it and he called me a few weeks later and said that i could come pick it up.

Like I said, It all takes time and a year wait is not uncommon. Remember , your not the only one in line. But, the Taxidermist should be up front about this to begin with.

Alot of taxidermist around here do take about a year to get your mount done.Reason being they have alot of customers,and alot of them will do the skinning and get the hides sent out to tan,say they do all the deer capes right after deer season,then send them out,then mdo say fish the next couple months or birds,then a couple months on small game.Then when they start getting hides back for whatever species,they'll tackle them all,then on to the next thing when all there materials get in.Most have a system like this,there is alot of prep work involved.The smaller guys just starting out may beable to make the turn around sooner,but eventually they'll get bogged down to where they'll need to do some kind of system.When you have a guy that mounts 300 heads,along with the hundreds of fish,bears,smallgame,it takes awhile.Especially when you want quality.Around here turnaround is about a year for anything,there not trying to pull a fast one,there trying to do the quality work expected,thats why guys bring them stuff to do because they're good,so cut them some slack,if more would realize this and stop calling them if it's done,they might beable to get done faster,instead of trying to handle all the calls.Think about it,if you get a couple calls a day,and the guy wants to chat some,it cuts into your work,sure most would like to sit and chat,but they have mounts to get done,not just yours,but others as well. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

If ya'll would read what I said in my post you'd see that he was the one that told me it would be LESS THAN 6 months. I didn't tell him! And I didn't mention that friends of mine took critters to him AFTER I did and there's are done. All I ask for is a honest relationship with anyone I'm paying to perform a service for me, and I don't call until after (at least 2-3 weeks) he tells me it will be done which was 2 weeks 5-6 months ago. I've been nothing but straight up with him and expect the same in return!
zapper /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/mad.gif

Back