My first shot at this? info needed

Tom

This will be my first Coyote hunt and it'll be in N.E. Kentucky I just found out that nights are illegal now I would like to no what you folks would use to get started time will be limited as our main reason up there is to construct a cook shed and do some repairs
should we buy a rabbit or two as bait
The farmer is losing chickens so we thought of that also but he says they get the chicken's at night and we see the rabbits show before sundown?? is trying to make a decoy chicken out of plucked feathers crazy or are the coyotes to smart for thing's like thatI know I read some where about stuffed animal's but don't no if that was a joke or not
how bout call's or tape's don't want to spend a fortune till I get addicted so any help appreciated
Tom

------------------
B/safe

Tom:

Using feathers, hides, tails, and even stuffed toys is not a joke. There are many forms of decoys or at least distractants used to keep the attention off of you. The use is to establish a field of fire that you control and have the critter focus on that point. Combined with scent attractants and good calling, it can be extremely deadly.

As for your situation. It sounds like either coyotes, fox, or something has a taste for chickens. If that is the case, using a chicken wing decoy with a chicken distress tape out and away from the usual "feed" spot should work during daylight. They will know that it is their dinner and it is in their "neck of the woods" so I would think that it would work.

Of course I assumed that you have an electric caller.

Good luck and let us know how it works out.....

------------------
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
one shot~one kill

Tom,

I would invest in a hand call and a couple of tapes. One tape would be a chicken in distress and the other would be a rabbit in distress of some kind. Listen to the rabbit tape and use the sound to practice with the hand call. When you call, concentrate on the early mornings and the evenings. A coyote may respond at any time of day, but those will be the best so make them count. Using the hand call and the tapes in either a tape player or an electronic call should give you enough sounds to be able to call in plenty of critters. For that matter all I use is a couple of hand calls but the tapes will give a beginner more confidence sometimes.
Good luck and post us a pic!
Daryl

------------------
yotewalk.gif

Back