How many groundhogs for 2008?

I had the scope on the 243 on my AR and was occasionally hitting them in the 400's with the longest one being about 450yds. I had to range him in 2 segments since my rangefinder wouldn't reach that far. Problem was they almost always got back to the hole without giving me photo opportunities /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smiliesmack.gif . I recently missed one at an estimated 650-700 yds getting very close to him several times by just using hold over. The 6X-24X Burris Signature with fine duplex crosshairs makes it easier to see them way out there /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif. This rifle is a dedicated varminter, I have better suited deer rifles like my model 7 7mm08 Remington.

The dog days seem to be tough for groundhogs too. I only saw 5 Saturday with 1 kill each for me and my spotter. We swore a second went down at about 350 yds, but couldn't find a trace after watching him drop in the spotting scope. That makes 32 for me so far. I managed to get some low quality video of the one I did hit. My camcorder is a cheap one, but you can watch the impact and see him go horizontal at about 125 yds when the 243 cracked. Unfortunatley I don't have a way to post it /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smiliesmack.gif.

I got # 18 and 19 today. I go out for an hour or so in the afternoons about once a week. I didn't get out much during those hot days we had heree in eastern Pa. but today the weather great with low humidity.

Added #'s 28-30 this afternoon. Even the late beans are almost knee high, in a few more days it will be pasture and hay fields only /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/mad.gif Hogging has been tough so far this year around these parts, and will probably get worse until the first soybeans get harvested.
The big hogs have not been showing up either /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif
F1

Update, 8/11/08! No groundhogs seen, but we brought home the bacon /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif We checked out another place that a different farmer was complaining about pigs ruining his cornfield. Set up just like on a predator stand, even put out the FX5 /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif About the time I was thinking about playing some pig sounds, four hogs showed up at around 200 yards! They were in a narrow strip of disced field, about 25 yards wide, between standing corn and the woods line. We shot three of them, but only recovered two. About a minute later, still on stand, another pig comes out about 75 yards in front of us! I shot that one solo, as my partner was out of bullets /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smiliesmack.gif...he'd only taken three rounds with him to begin with! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked.gif He learned his lesson, I'm sure......ALWAYS take extra ammo!
P8110008.jpg

Three little piggies!
P8110015.jpg

These are going to make for some good barbecue, and sausage!
F1

The little groundhogs are getting harder to find! Between the farmers gassing them, the beans getting too tall, and the coyotes eating them, we're having to switch over to the bigger piggies /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif
F1

As fun as the big piggies are to hunt, I'm glad they aren't rootin' around here yet. Some places down south that I've been that had big populations were practically destroyed by wild hogs. They can be hard on livestock, crops, and other browse types of wildlife. Keep stacking them up, maybe they won't spread to Augusta or Rockingham counties, but that's what they said about coyotes too /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smiliesmack.gif.

I was only able to hunt 'chucks twice this year. Total ended up somewhere between 45 - 50.

- DAA

Corey,
The pigs are here to stay! We'll never be rid of them, and some farmer's crops are starting to really suffer! I hope this is what pulls the VAFB's heads out of their nether regions so they'll stop fighting us on allowing hunting of nuisance species on Sunsay! Right now the pigs seem to be migrating south and eastward....you're safe for several years!

Dave,
I wish we could shoot a third as many groundhogs here as you shoot rockchucks out west! I've seen some of your films, and you guys have it made! I havn't shot any rockchucks since I was a college kid living in Denver in 1968! I need to get back out west while I'm still healthy enough to enjoy it!
F1

Blueridgeboy and I went to one of my newly acquired properties this afternoon in search of some late season pasture poodles. There wasn't too much freshly cut area, but enough to scratch out a couple of hogs.
BRB shot the first one, and the largest of the year to date.
PasturepoodlesRRA015.jpg

This thing was a slob!
PasturepoodlesRRA024.jpg

The one on the right was one I killed. It was a typical adult 11-12 lb hog. Looks kinda puny next to the one BRB shot! I'm guessing his was easily 16-17 pounds!
That brings him to #28, and me to only 34, but when the beans come down, we're going to hurt 'em!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif
F1

I think I'm calling it quits for groundhogs for the year. I guess it ends with 32. Not bad considering the number of times I hunted and the amount of time spent in the field. I managed to take hogs with 2 different pistols and 3 different rifles. Next year should be great with the 243 coming into the picture late this summer, I have most of the bugs out of it and expect it to really shine next summer. Hopefully I'll have better health next year and be able to go more. Now my attention is focused on deer and predators, no room for chucks in that schedule. Good luck to the rest of you guys still chasing the pigs, no matter what king they are /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif.

Corey,
Good luck with the deer & dogs! I'm not quitting yet! The first couple days the beans come down should be a slaughter!
To be honest, right now, I havn't got the slightest itch to deer hunt. I've seen some dandy bucks while looking for pigs, a couple in the 150 class, one may be better! I'm still too psyched about killing wild pigs, and calling canine critters. I've got 2 new rifles that have yet to draw blood /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif I'm fixn' to change that in the next couple days!
F1

F1, Good luck with the hogs and dogs. Something tells me those rifles are about to get bloody /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smirk.gif. You and BlueridgeBoy should have quite a pile of chops and sausage by now /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ooo.gif. I just can't stay in the fields and out of the mountains this time of year. I may take a break and give it one last hoorah if a real hot Saturday rolls around and the treestand looks like a bad idea, but I doubt it. I've been known to whack'em and stack'em in 80 degree heat with my bow /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif. You just have to be quick with a knife and drink beer quicker to make room in the cooler /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smiliesmack.gif.

Back