A couple of boars

in africa we make a cut about two hands above their hoofs.(allmost around their legs) this is something we were taught by those who came before us.(the story goes that this stops the flow/functionality of certain glands that cause the bad taste) if this works i don't know, although i have never ate a wart-hog that tasted bad and i have never had the guts not to make the cuts. i have never seen this not done. we make smoked sausages and cheese sausages. a big male boar will never taste the same as a wheener.that is just nature. a 6 month old piglet on a open slow fire basted with honey,mustard,lemon and apricot jam, is the best. guess, do you know what they weigh? i want to compare them to wart-hogs. in the pictures they seem larger. i have just returned from a hog hunt and two of the guns used were.243 and a 7mm. personaly i use a .308 180grn. i use this gun none scoped as this comes in handy when they come for you at close range. however i have never seen a more competend calibre for hog than a 375h&h.it stops a charging wart-hog in its tracks(250grn)

Nice to see the new Icon bringing home the bacon! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ooo.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/bowingsmilie.gif

I have heard that some hog hunters beleive in cutting the testicles off the hog as soon as it is down and out to avoid the bad taste.

Quote:
I have heard that some hog hunters beleive in cutting the testicles off the hog as soon as it is down and out to avoid the bad taste.

I don't do it, but I don't plan on eating the testicles anyway. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Quote:

Cut 'em off right after he's born and you're on to something. I don't see how it can make a difference once he's dead. I do however take great pains not to squeeze the "secret sauce" from the penile sheath when removing it along with the hide. That's some nasty smelling stuff!

It's kind of like the old tradition of throat cutting. Once that heart stops beating cutting the testicles or throat is NOT going to change the flavor.

Back