Winter prairie dogs

skb2706

I seems like everytime I tried to get out and shoot this winter there was a problem. Between weather, work, wind and family illnesses my trips out to the farm have been limited to once in Jan/Feb that didn't provide enough activity for my liking. Well with any luck (I need luck) I am getting away again tomorrow for a long weekend to shoota few pds maybe call in a few coyotes. Weather is supposed to cooperate and I have all my stuff packed so we'll try it again. I even talked my son into coming out there with me (it seems girls have kept him more interested than shootin with dad)....could be a good weekend 'tater.
Word is that between poison and new wind farms going in that pd shooting may drop way off in the coming years and its too dam bad.

Hey SKB, the weather may cooperate. Have a good time.

Not to worry about future PD shooting, we'll just vacuum up all the extras in Aurora and Boulder, and move them out to our new "PD Preserve". There all of us, being the great conservationists we are, will "manage" the population.

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Good luck Steve.

At least you will get to spend some time with the boy, regardless of the hunting conditions. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif

Got back last night. My son and my step son were my shooters. I was more of a spotter but got in a few shots when they'd let me. It was a very good weekend considering the weather challenges, Saturday was breezy and sometimes cold when the clouds rolled thru. We shot most of the day Saturday and a good part of it yesterday but it required jackets and warm clothes. I think we used about 300 rds. and considering we were working with one newbie shooter our hit percentage was decent. I think we left well over 200 dogs in the field for the hawks. Only used two rifles - the Savage 22-250 AI and my sons TC .204 carbine both of which are wicked on little dogs to way out there.
We shot at only two places because I want lots of shooting available for warmer weather and didn't want to stir them up too much.
Didn't have alot of time to hunt coyotes but we made a couple of setups....no luck.

Sounds like you had fun, and most of all spent some valuable time with the boys.

Way to go, Dad. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif

Long shot of the day was my sons 418 yds. center mass hit using the 22-250 AI and a Nosler 52 gr. HP (second). He lit that one up, to say the least. Wind didn't allow for much beyond that. Most shots ranged between 200-300 yd. with only a few closer than that which is typical for this time of year as the dogs are all 'of age' by now.

Quote:
Long shot of the day was my sons 418 yds. center mass hit using the 22-250 AI and a Nosler 52 gr. HP (second). He lit that one up, to say the least. Wind didn't allow for much beyond that. Most shots ranged between 200-300 yd. with only a few closer than that which is typical for this time of year as the dogs are all 'of age' by now.

Hey Steve, Sounds like you guys had fun and about time huh? I am glad you are saving some for the warmer weather. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ooo.gif

I finally got to shoot the 6BR and it should be ready for the PD's. I have a target posted in the reloading section to show how it shoots so far.

Did Marcie get over the flu? I hope she did.

Jimmy

Yep - shes much better and they did finally get away to make it as far as Taos. Basically we had the farm for the weekend, good thing we didn't have to 'farm' anything lol.

I'll sure be glad when the winter cold is gone and shirt sleeves and sunscreen are back in style. There were times this last weekend that the sun would go behind clouds and it would get cold fast.

I'm still saving all the best places for late spring. This time of year we hit the little pastures and corners. Leave the big fields for another day. Definitely no competition out there and we didn't even see another vehicle for two days.

Quote:
Yep - shes much better and they did finally get away to make it as far as Taos. Basically we had the farm for the weekend, good thing we didn't have to 'farm' anything lol.

I'll sure be glad when the winter cold is gone and shirt sleeves and sunscreen are back in style. There were times this last weekend that the sun would go behind clouds and it would get cold fast.

I'm still saving all the best places for late spring. This time of year we hit the little pastures and corners. Leave the big fields for another day. Definitely no competition out there and we didn't even see another vehicle for two days.

I am glad they got to go somewhere for some R&R. I am also glad you are saving some good spots for spring. I can hardly wait. I already have many rounds of .204 loaded will load up some 6BR's soon.

Jimmy

Back