ipod and remote

mhoel

I am new to active predator hunting but have been a hunter since youth. Looking forward to this.

I am looking into building an e-caller and am wondering if anyone has any experience with Ipods for the mp3 player.

It looks like I could pick up previous generation Ipod for a fair price with memory between 512 and 4 Gig.

I found a remote for the Ipod (ABT iJet i-Jet Wireless RF Remote) which is supposed to have 50 yard range in a house thru walls. The remote, on ebay is running around $10 including shipping. One might pick up an Ipod for $20-30. Ipods have a 12 hr run time, but look like they have to be plugged into a USB port to charge up for a few hours. Easy enough to hook up a USB charging port on the e-caller.
Seems like a quality, cheaper way to go.

Mike

good to see you on predator masters...i havent been on here to lonng myself but have learned so much by just reading the expiriences of others....
i was wondering myself if an ipod would work...i am fifteen and have access to one...it sounds like a good way to go especially if i can get a cheap speaker for one...

Older iPods may have dead batteries and that's why they're so dirt cheap on eBay. Not trivial to replace an iPod battery.

iPods that don't have a hard drive but use flash memory instead will probably work better as they have better battery life in the cold, be less affected by cold weather and have greater shock/drop resistance. (Shuffle or Nano). Only one of these that the iJet will fit is the Nano. Couple of fellas have used the original iJet (with HDD iPods) and said it worked well enough for predator calling at the advertised range although IIRC they mentioned remote device for it was not very substantial.

I've personally used a 1st gen Nano 1GB model for a couple of years as the brains of my wireless predator caller for a couple of years now, and really like it. Only wish is that it worked for field recordings (there was a later generation of Nano with available 3rd party accessories that will.)

I built a gizmo from a $20 kit and an Altoids gum tin called a Minty Boost that fast charges my Nano in about 15 minutes using just a couple of rechargeable NiMH AA cells.

LionHo

Thanks,

I have been looking at the nano as it is one of the ones that the remote works with.

I am interested in details on the charger you built. Sounds like a good thing to have.

I just picked up the Predator Enticer and it looks like it will be awesome. Sad thing is, getting too late a start this year as bobcat and coon season end on 3/15 and don't start until Sept. Coyote season is year round, so once I get calling figured out can maybe have some fun there.

Back