R-15 PEE DEEIN' IT

JWG

Well I'm poor so my R-15 is going to be my prairie dog gun this year. To some of you it might not matter, but to most PD folk I think they will wonder. A .223 Rem w/.680 22" barrel is gonna get hot quick.Anyway, my question is how many times do I shoot the thing to keep it kinda cool and accurate. I will be taking my .17 HMR along but thats it. Any of you guys have any ideas?

I never take less than 3 rifles when I go PDing. Just because when the shooting gets good, the barrels will get hot. Remember how Mamma used to check the baby's milk by sprinkling a few drops on her wrist? Check your barrel the same way. If you can't leave it on the inside of your wrist, it's too hot. Put it in the shade to cool, and burn up some ammo with the HMR. If the shooting is soooo good that both barrels are too hot to shoot, then call me ASAP! I will come to your rescue with another rifle for you to shoot while the others cool down. Honest! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-006.gif

JWG, you shoot at least twice as much ammo when you are using an AR.

I encourage you to establish your extreme accuracy first on your reloads, then practice as much as you can at 200 yards on a p. dog sized target to answer your own question.

I hunted with an H-Bar, on a huge dog town that hardly if ever got shot. I probably killed 5 times as many as I did with a bolt gun. My poor hunting partner whimpered, "Keith, you are killing them all"! Hee Hee!

If it is 95* when you go dogg'en, don't expect your barrel to cool much.

I ran water right down the barrel on mine to cool it, using a proper fitting bore guide, bottle with a plastic tube to fit the opening in the end of the bore guide. Then dry patched out the barrel, dry chamber, back to shoot'en.

Good luck!

Hey thanks you two. I wish I could take more guns, I just don't have any.
ackleyman, I have atleast 200 pop and water bottles rangeing from 16oz to a liter. Most being the 16 though. If they shoot good, and I'm sure they will, I'll buy 1000rnds of BH 52 HP's, and shoot a quarter of them at bottles. By then, I better have some sort of a clue as to how to hit stuff. Provided this all falls together as easily as i would like it to.
Good hunting,
Judd

Their have been reports of American GI's in WWI urinating on their machine gun barrels to cool them. Scary thought, hot metal and "little willy", close together? Don't think so.

I have not tried that with my Coopers and probably won't.

It has been a very successful selling tool at my house, that another rifle was needed because of the need to keep barrel temperatures under control. After 20 times, it isn't working any more.

All kidding aside, in good PD country, in hot weather, you almost have to have four rifles working. It's a challenge to keep them cool. But, believe me, when that happens, I am not complaining!

I would caution you against using the 52 hp unless it is a speer 52g HP because if it is the Sierra or Hornady 52g hp, they are not worth a hoot on p. dogs.

I made the mistake of loading up 1000 Sierra 52's in my 22 PPC for a dog hunt, I was very disappointed because they did not expand. I had to shoot for the shoulder and head with no acrobatics.

Call Black Hills, they are great people and will be glad to give you the brand of bullet that is in the 52's.

Back