Yup, its hard

sleddogg

East coast guys! - O.K., You can handcall like the Pros, you learned to Howl like Randy, you have a nice AR like Byron, maybe you have purchased a new E-caller. Yet you still have trouble calling any predators. What gives???

First off the obvious, our Predator population is small here in the East as compared to many Western states. You just won't get as many opportunities callers enjoy out West, so you have to learn to maximize the potential your given state has. If your potential for called 'yotes is 25 a year (thats mine), try to kill as many as posible by limiting your mistakes calling, and by exploring not only the way you call, but also stand site, and stand location. One of my biggest problems is I miss a lot of shots a year, so this year I have practiced to try to minimize that problem.

Probably the most overlooked aspect of predator hunting is where you hunt. You can find Predator sign almost anywhere, but most sign near civilization was made at night, and its hard to pull yotes out into the open in the daytime unless its remote here in the East.

Night hunting around more active farms, and areas of human interaction is the way to fly. Calling there in the daytime will only frustrate you. Been there done that!

Search out areas that are remote, where there is little or no Human scent or activity. Many guys struggle needlessly in the East simply because they don't realize they need to hit the Predators very remote and by surprise.

If you hunt a remote spot at first light you will have a good chance for success. It doesn't have to be miles from nowhere, just an area the Predators are not on Red alert, and feel confident coming to call.

Here is a perfect example: I live next to a nice gasline that has yielded up shots at many Predators for a lot of years. This gasline has a huge amount of human activity on the weekends, from hikers, Dirt bikes and quads, etc. Activity usually starts on Friday, and goes through Sunday afternoon. To go call there Saturday night a dark would be a joke as no Predators will show up with all the activity that has gone on all day. What do you do? Give it some time to calm down, and hunt it Thursday A.M. at first light. Predators will respond in a normal fashion now. Go before work, work late Weds. Night, whatever it takes, just be there Thurs. A.M.

I have hunted that same power line by getting dropped off in one town, and walking and calling every 1/2 mile or so until I reach the pick up point 8 miles away. Many times I'm pullin a 'yote when its over.

Example two – I have access to hunt a nice lumber yard/woodchip facility in a nearby town. The lumber yard is active until around Thanksgiving, and you can call your ass off every moning and maybe get a few responces, usually from Bobcats. Wait until the yard shuts down in November, and I will kill 4 or 5 'yotes in the exact same spot by the time our season ends in March.

Calling ability is not as high on the list as stand location for me, as a uneducated remote 'yote will answer most any call. In the East, hunt out spots where there are no people, as much as possible, hunt smart, and watch that wind!!

Think of remote spots for our Easterns, and you will get a few more shots every year!

Have fun, and good hunting, Sleddogg

Great Post and even better advice there Sleddog. I have traveled alot to hunt coyotes. Those guys out west sure have it made with the target/predator rich environment that they have, open terrain so sound travels farther, visibiltiy unlimited almost, ricochets not a concern.

When hunting West Texas, I was amazed at how far the coyote was expected to come and how far in fact he did come. Here where I am at in the hardwood forests, hills, hollers and mountainous areas it's possible to not be able to reach a predator a quarter or half mile from you with the sound. We all have our cross to bear, one just has to adapt and overcome as you recommended. But it does sure suck when one shows up and you miss, don't it! BTDT

i agree with you sleddog on stand location and knowing the wind. The remote areas sometimes i question...i have done well on very remote chunks of property with hardly any human activity and i have been busted quite a few times, due to wind changes or whatever mistake i've made.

My hunting partner and I have been doing alittle research starting last year and continuing this year with those "little urban pockets" of woods near industrial areas and along the outside edge of towns. It's usually the overlooked areas that we have found quite a few more coyotes than out in the middle of no where farmland.

For example we hunt a 25a piece just outside of the city limits of a major city and it is surrounded by factories and a few houses...there is always noise cars/machines and the ever present scent of humans. The coyotes seem to let there guard down alittle and seem to come in a lot closer than the deep woods yotes. Last year we took 4 off this chuck and lost one..which still makes me sick.

4 by no means is a lot but for this area seemed like it. We hunted all different times of the day and usually had better luck during the weekdays we the factories were in full gear, as opposed to the weekends when it was quieter.

I would love to hunt out west in the open areas like texas where it sounds like if ya blow a call they run and jump in the truck /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif do to the high density of animals.

For the last two years i have been making a journal of my predator hunting, stating stand selection, time, weather conditions and so on i wish i could compare it to say a guy in texas or iowa and to a few guys out east..it would be pretty interesting.

sorry this is so long..your post just got me thinking :eek:

drewMIhunter - I said:
It doesn't have to be miles from nowhere, just an area the Predators are not on Red alert, and feel confident coming to call.
I'm sure nobody else shoots at them or otherwise harrases them in your urban setting. They are just uneducated and not call shy, its just that easy. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif Its nice you have a spot like that!!

Yotes' get shot or shot at all the time by the local farmers around here, and they get pretty jumpy.

I'm sure alot of guys in NH, CT,VT,NY,and Maine all have the same problem with sneaky farm 'yotes. They can be a handful to call!

Have fun, Sleddogg

I have always said that pressured coyotes are hard to kill here in the East. Like you said they are shot at by farmers, from the road, called to, not counting all the pressure in deer and small game seasons. Remote is good, I agree! But the problem coyotes I get calls on are either in the city limets or on a farm. These coyotes are already on red alert! Thats A hole other set of problems for us here in the east!

Its very hard here in Ohio or Ky to find areas that dont get some kind of pressure, from deer hunters to small game hunters. Alot of farmers are going out in the AM and PM and just seting at the field edges and bush wacken them. Makes it tought to go call coyotes that have been shot at over and over.

I agree remote is good but hard to come buy here. My best results have just been to change my calling set ups and sounds, calling times and diffrent things.

Good example: I change my set ups to were I am calling a cross wind, I keep my parner deep on the down wind side. This keeps me from geting back doored and busted. Not always but it helps.

Scouting: This is the #1 thing. If you know your coyotes and the area, it makes things alot easer! Just like those pressured areas you were talking about....They haft to go somewere when they are pushed out of that area.

Calling: I change up my calling, I use a howler alot, I like the high pitched bird sounds, and I like the pup dessress very well. I dont use the plain rabit sounds as much, they get call shy to it. Give them something diffrent. Pup desstress is one of my #1 sounds anymore. Bird destress on an open read is my #2 call.

Hunt the mid day, I kill alot od coyotes in the middle of the day here, and in Ky to. The last double I took last year was called up at 2:30 in the after noon.

Get in the brush! Alot of callers dont hunt the woods, they set up in the fields and sometimes you haft to get in the thick stuff to get them to respond! Dont be afraid to call the clear cuts and wood lots. They produce.

Most of all, you haft to go hunt, you cant kill them in the house...The more you hunt the better you odds.

I wish I had some areas that didnt get pressured but most every area I hunt gets some kind of pressure. You just haft to learn to hunt around it. Find the core areas, beding areas and watch everything as close as you can. Try to cover all you bases. Its tough here in the east but thats what makes it fun!

It does suck to miss after puting in all the hard work....I been there!

Just a few thoughts!

Kee

Yup, it can be tough. But it can be relaxing and fun too.

I've used this approach a few times and it has worked for me.

I go to an area that is close but not too close to where I know they have dens or bed. I keep the wind in my face approaching. If the wind is not right I go to a different area.

Once there, I set out my E caller, and then use my climbing tree stand to get up about 20 feet or so. I let everything get quiet, maybe have a cup of coffee, and then hit the remote on the caller. I'll call off and on for about 15 or 20 minutes, and then just sit there. Sometimes for a half an hour sometimes for an hour, and then call again. I have spent 4 hours in a tree stand calling. If I know they are in the area, I am counting on one of them either passing through or finally getting hungry enough to come to a call.

This really works, but you have to have an area that you know has coyotes either travling through it or close to where they are bedded during the day. Being up in the tree stand really increased the visability in the woods and I have NEVER been busted (that I know of) in the stand.

It's just a relaxing way to hunt coyotes. A little work carrying the stand in, but the advantage of being able to see a lot further in the woods makes up for it.

I AM SHORE THAT I GET BUSTED ALL THE TIME AND JUST NEVER KNOW IT

HERE WHAT HELPS ME MAYBE IT WILL WORK FOR YOU

TRICKS! Here they are.
1, respect them if you do not have it from the start they will make you earn it!
2, he will make his way to you but they know that at some point they should see the animal making the distress sounds and a coyote will stop for a minute to look and get his last bearings on his target be for running in and. and that's when they will bust you! A decoy will help this problem.
Try and remember that the animal you are trying to imitate lungs is not the size of yours so keep that in mind when calling. Try and call like a rabbit or a bird that some thing got a hold of. They will scream
loud, so start loud and get softer if the dog ant there in the first 15 20 minuets most likely he ant coming so move just out of calling range and try agent.
Trick 2, if you think they are holding up witch they will do most of the time I will put a hunter or hunters out in front of me 60 or 80 in tree stands at 3 and 9 o'clock about 20 feet high or as high as they need to see
And when he holds up it over.
Wind very in port in but you know this.
camo good , but sit real still and you know this to.
NIGHT WITH A LIGHT
Nighttime is the right times, get a hunting buddy and a pick up run the road and fields call move call move
Try a red lens they work the best for us. hunt right out of the truck if on property that you can do this.
1 hunter shoot the other work the light call and scan 360 degreases slowly there eyes will light rite up and if you see them don't put the light rite on them keep them just to the out side of the light and I don’t like to hold it on them to long go right bye to the shooter ready the put the light on him and dump him they will not stay around long so shoot, I have as much fun missing them some times as I do hitting them.
MOUTH CALLS VS ELEC. CALLS
My experience is in the east you can call told your batters run out and not see any thing.
But a mouth call will work wonders. You will kill them with the elec. caller but most of my coyotes called to one will turn out to be young ones. Some times a squeaker is all you will need.
TRICKS,
Be per pared to shoot long distances. I see them I shoot them!
First light and last light are great times to be calling, but you know this also.
Drive and cover as much land calling as possible.
I hunt them every chance i get some times 3 days a week and you know the more time you put in to it the better you get.
TRICK,
IF I can get a place on privet property like I have in sulleven co. this is how I bleed them.
This property has a nice size lake on it so I built a shack or blined in the woods witha heater so I can sit all day or night.
Then I go out on it when the ice comes and cut a hole in it 15 ‘’ in di. Then I put cow stumics in it and let it freeze and sit in my blind and wait a never set up closer the 150 to 200 yards from it I don’t call just wait
And the good thinges they cant get the bait out of the ice so they just work at it and get little peaces out and I will put a little Greece on the ice so they will leave and make a nice cent trail for all there friends and it get funny when they try to put it in high gear on the ice.
LIKE I SED I CAN GO ON AND ON AND ON, well i am headit to texas on the 19 for a coyote turnament hope to get good photos to post

I HOPE THIS HELPED A LITTLE
YOU FRIEND BIG GEROGE
PS, I DON'T THINK I KNOW EVERY THING ABOUT HUNTING COYOTE
BUT THESE TRICK'S WORK FOR ME IN PA

GOOD HUNTING

TheHuntedOne - I also hunt out of my archery treestands for predators many times, but never thought of making a morning out of it. When all the deer hunting pressure is over, and the woods calm done in January I will definately give that a try. Thats a great idea!

keekeeyelp wrote:
Get in the brush! Alot of callers dont hunt the woods, they set up in the fields and sometimes you haft to get in the thick stuff to get them to respond! Dont be afraid to call the clear cuts and wood lots. They produce.
Thats great advice for us east coast guys, and I have gotten out of my woods hunting as hard as I used to and I will refocus on it this year. I just love callin' the 'yote across an open field so much I have hunted the open areas a little too much last couple of years.

I also find it interesting that the bird distress has worked well for you, I am in the process of learning the bird distress right now. I too have found the pup in distress a good curve to throw them also.

drewMIhunter wrote -
For example we hunt a 25a piece just outside of the city limits of a major city and it is surrounded by factories and a few houses...there is always noise cars/machines and the ever present scent of humans. The coyotes seem to let there guard down alittle and seem to come in a lot closer than the deep woods yotes. Last year we took 4 off this chuck and lost one..which still makes me sick.
Some coyotes have been sighted in some more urban areas in Southwick Ma., and driving around I've found some smaller lots around a few small industrial parks. I'm gonna try to get some access and check them out! Good tip, and I'll keep you posted.

REM223PA - I'd love to do some night hunting, but all we can use here in Ma. is a 22lr, or a shotgun. that just doesn't interest me. ISay I go out callin' at night here, and call one of our 50 pounders and I'm holdin' a stinkin' 22lr in my hands. How bad would this suck? What a stupid law.

Hey Pruson, just to satisfy my curiosity, how far can you call them from out west? I'm sure your answer will make me jealous, but tell me anyway.

If anyone else has a couple of small tricks they use here in the East, I'd love to hear them.

Thanks guys, Sleddogg

Up here on the wide open flats I have stands where I set up on a hill overlooking a huge open area. The coyotes I've spotted comming in when calling from these stands were at least 3/4 mile away, and I'm sure some have come from farther.

They start out as white dots meandering through the sagebrush at a steady pace sometimes stopping every now and then to update the situation. From what I've seen in my limited experience, is that these rarely become close shots. Usually around 200 yds. After comming that far they seem to doubt the source. A good experienced caller could probably get them in closer, but I haven't mastered the art of reassureing a coyote yet.

The CRP and stubble fields here and in North Dakota are the same way. The trouble is, with such an absence of cover, there's no where to hide. A stand consists of sitting right out in the open.

From what I've read here, the sounds used in the east and west are similar. I've got a bird distress mastered, but haven't had much luck with it yet. The rabbit distress is universal, but I think the best changeup might be the pup or coyote distress. Every variation of that sound I've tried has worked. From the extreme distress like a coyote being pulled apart to a simple lost pup type sound.

The problem with here is there's a whole lot of nothing, and when the coyotes are grouped up it can take a long time and many stands to find out where they are at that particular time, especially if the wind is wrong, or even blowing at all. Pre dawn locating sometimes helps.

How many of you guys locate at night in the east? How well does that work?

Brad

I havn't called in PA the last couple years, as most my coyote hunting is done in the west. Seems the only time I can manage some calling time, is when I take vacation anymore.

But over the years here in Pa. I don't always search out remote spots or uneducated coyotes. I pretty much go the opposite direction.

If I see a farmer cutting alfalfa fields or just making hay, you can bet I'll stop and ask if I can sit on that field and call. I have seen coyotes actually come out in midday to mouse 50yds behind the combine. I don't pass calling a field at night, that I see groundhog shooters in all day.

I don't know why, but coyotes around my area mainly feed on rodents. They like fresh gut piles in deer season until they freeze also. Come winter time, they will pass up frozen carrion, and just mouse the edges of roads and fields.

Hodgen, how you doing. Ain't seen you in a long time. I no longer live in the Cali desert, I moved to another desert in New Mexico. I hear it's good hunting but I have only seen two coyotes since I've been here. Must be my old age and bad eyes I guess lol.

I'm still around Danny.
I been trying to get all those jobs I neglected over the years done, before heading back out west again in the fall.

Nice Post Sleddog; We have huge areas that do not have coyotes in them around here,(the upper peninsula of Michigan). I locate the afternoon or evenng before, with either siren or howling. I want to know where they hang out, before they get out hunting for the night. We have a huge amount of ferns(about crotch high) that makes it difficult to see very far, from the sitting position, until a couple of frosts knocks them down. I could use my Grand Ol' Man climbing tree stand and go out earlier in the year, but I guess I am just too lazy. Plus we have a lot of flying critters around here that love flesh and blood. A couple of good frosts helps with those too. As a result I, normally, do not start calling until October something.

I do not hunt the edges of the farmlands during the day as I believe that almost all of the coyotes have retired to somewhere deep in the woods, some distance away, where they feel secure from intrusion from people; like us.

I go to the southwest during the winter and call down there a lot, so I cannot comment on calling in nose deep snow, as I do not do it. I leave that for the young and tough.
bcott

Brad,

I locate at night here all the time. I spent Fri and Sat night this week out locating on some new ground I got to hunt. Locating at night is a big help here, saves me alot of leg work, or ground work. I will locate the coyotes several times on a new piece of ground before I ever go in to scout or make the first stand. Locating them at diffrent times like at daylight,right at dark, and in the middle of the night, gives me a realy good place to start. Then I can go in do some scouting and pick out my stands. Haveing all my ducks in a row before I ever make the first destress call. Plus I dont haft to walk all over the property looking for all the pices to the puzzle. I keep good notes on all my outings. Times,dates,Number of respoces,there locaton,and weather.

This is also a big help in new areas. I can find out if the property is worth calling, and get a good idea of how many coyotes are in the area. Also if they are spending alot of time on someone elses land, I can see if I can get on there land to hunt. Locating at night works well for me here. It maybe worth a look for you to.

Also, have you tryed a gillie suit? I use one here in the strip mine fields during the day. They will respond from a long way and they can see for a long way to. There is no cover to use in the fields here, just cpr grass. I was having trouble geting them in close myself. I went to a gillie suit and just set down in the grass if I dont have any other cover. I have had them come in to 10-15 yards and not see me. As long as I dont move! I dont think its the camo as much as the shape. What I mean, I think they pick up the outline sometimes with just regular camo, with the gillie suit, its not a human shape. Just looks like a clump of grass there. It helped me. Once I pick them up or see them and as long as they are coming to me, I dont call. Not unless they stop and dont move. Then its just lip sweaks.

I agree on the pup destress. This has been a great sound for me as well. I use it alot here. Sometimes thats all I use on a stand. It works well on pressured areas. And seems to have worked everywere I have used it. The rabit destress kills coyotes for me here to, but the Bird destress has been hard to beat here the last few years.

Kee

Back