Youth Turkey Hunting

Mossy535

Hey all

My son is going to Turkey Hunt this spring. He is 10. He passed hunters safety last March and got his first deer in the fall. He shot this deer with my 25-06. My question is, what would you recommend for a load for this guy? My 3" magnum turkey loads are out of the question. BTW, he shoots skeet with my 12G and 2 3/4" target loads and the recoil doesn't bother him at all.

Thanks for helping out.

20guage 2 3/4 6 shot out of a full choke, 15-20yard head shot, no further than 20yds. IMO, keep it tward the 15 yrd mark. Have him practice at the range on the turkey head targets.
If he's a good sized boy jump it up to a 3inch 20guage and you might get a few more yards.
When I was 12yrs old, I was skin and bones lol, maybe 65lbs wet and thats what I used, done jellied some heads with duck/pheasant loads. Still have my 20guage Ithaca mod 37.

I shot my first when I was 13. I shot it with a 3 1/2 #5 but i wasnt a small boy. i weighed around 200 lbs. I could handle it out of a mossburg 835. Theres several brands of 2 3/4 #5 out there. id give them a try. dont rule out the 20ga in a 3in.

Ryan /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif

i have used remingtons 2 3/4 inch 4x6 and have killed alot of turkey and fox with them. they have good knockdown power without the kick of the bigger loads.

Get him some 2 3/4 inch turkey loads or heavy pheasant load. Use 6's or even 7.5's. When he can not longer get 100 hits in a 10 inch circle he is at his max. Less will kill a turkey but this will take out the inconsistencys of shotguns. 7.5's will kill a turkey at 40 yards if the head is hit 6's will kill a big farther but I wouldn't let him shoot farther than that no matter how the gun shoots.

Back