Last day stand in Upstate NY

d2admin

Administrator
guys heres my story from the last day of the season:

I woke up Sunday morning around 9:30 and was surprised to see it was a beatiful day and the wind was not blowing like it was predicted. So i grabbed my calls, rifle, and camera and drove to my best spot. I got to the place around 11:00 and it was 55F out and the wind was out of the SE which was not a favorible wind. I decided to head to the fields where my hunting partner and I have missed a few yotes... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif As I was walking up i decided to try something different since i have called this place several times this year. So i headed up into the woods in the back bowl of the property. I found a spot where the wind was blowing from my right to left into a clear cut from the loggers (which was about 100 yards)last fall. i was setup looking down on a small stream which i figured the yotes would follow up to get downwind of me. I waited 15mins and hit my sly "sno" for about 15 seconds and waited. All of a sudden i see a flash of movement down in the bottom and realize it was a big blonde yote. The yote was about ~90 yards infront of me but was in a bunch of saplings so i had no shot. So i waited since i knew the yote was not close to downwind of me. It started to losing interest(about 10 mins it stood there looking for the rabbit) and started walking up the oppisite bank and then i hit the sly "sno" again. Then i noticed more movement to my right and when i finally got a good look at it...it was a black coyote crawling out from under a log pile. The black yote ran over near the other yote and started moving to my left. I still had no shot at either yotes since they were still in the brush and at that time movement caught my eye infront of me in the clear cut. Another coyote standing 10 yards away from me looking right at me and i was pinned down since i had my rifle on the other two yotes. Well that coyote was directly downwind of me and started to run and i barked but couldnt find it in my scope in time. When i barked the other two yotes ran away and i hadnt even taken a shot. To be honesty with you i was so happy that i got to watch the yotes for 20-25mins it was well worth not getting a shot. I think the black coyote has some kind of luck because i have missed him twice.. I guess theres always next year.

Darren

Its not always the shot but just being and seeing that makes the day....good luck.. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

That was an awesome story. It sounds like you had a blast, I felt like that I was there with you. Too bad you didnt get to lay the smack down on old blacky but I have a good feeling that you put him to eternal rest next season. Keep um comming

bhw,

I am finishing up my wildlife management degree now. I dont know if you have kept up to date with the college but they now have a BT program for wildlife.

Back