any of you hunt yotes in alabama or georgia,help

d2admin

Administrator
I was just wondering if any of you guys hunt in georgia or alabama,and if so,Do you change hunting tactics compared to hunting in other states? The land I hunt is small mountains mostly timber with a few small clear cuts.[public land] I am also new at this and have'nt been able to call a yote in yet,but if I just sit,I hear them howling 1 to 2 hours before dark almost every time i am in the woods.any tips or info would be appreciated,thanks

Jeffro,
I have hunted Ga and Al in the past. I change my tactic some but not because of the state im in but the area or terain I hunt. Same is true when I go to Ky. The only diffrence maybe the pressure or hunting pressure they get. The main reason for change is the kind of area im hunting, hardwoods,swamps,clearcuts,thickets,fields. I try to go into an area with a good map, take a look around and find the key areas that I think will hold coyotes. Food sorce, cover, hunting pressure and time of year, play a big part in this.

I will do my scouting first, if your hearing them howl then you go a good start. I try to find were they are feeding, beding, and spending there day time hrs. Find the travel lanes. Then look for areas to make your set ups, they like to travel fences, saddles, reviens, ect. I pick my set ups and return later to do my calling. Also note the wind derections and stand sights on your map.

If they get alot of pressure then change your calling tactics, use diffrent sounds, If you can find the scat then you can get some idea of what they are feeding on. This time of year I do alot of howling. I open my stands with two lone howls and wait. If I dont get a responce then I go to the destress pup sounds. Pup sounds are good right now. Or I may go with a high pitched destressed bird sound. I like the higher piched sounds better, but everyone is diffrent.

The main thing is do you homework and put all the pieces togeather. Scouting, locating, stand placement and calling. Figure out the travel lane and were they are is the main thing. You cant callem if they arent there at the same time you are. Cover alot of area and talk to as many land owners as you can, get as much access as you can and talk to as many people as you can, see were they hear them or see them. Hunt hard and hang in there it will all come togeather for you!

I hope this helps ya some.

Kee

Thank you Kee for the info,I'm very new at this and any info i can get is a big help.thanks and happy hunting! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

sorry to bring this up from the grave, but i just joined here and am new to predator hunting and was hoping to find some people fairly close to Prattville, AL(just outside of Montgomery) that could give me some pointers and show me the ropes.
Thanks

well i will take you up on that offer in a hurry...you let me know when you are going and how to get there and i will check my shedule and try to make it. i am going to scout a few places tomorrow around here if i don't get any offers from anyone else /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Back