BLACK Mountain Lion?

blinddog

I was doing some calling this eveningDown on the Breaks of the Cimmeron River (Ks Side) it has been real cold and overcast the last few nights so I thought I might have some luck. I didn't see any thing for a long while and was about to move, when I saw somthing in the brush along a gully it was real dark and larger than a yote. I thought it was sombodies dog at first so I whistled at it. It Jumped up over the bank of the gully 8 or 10 feet straight up! long tailed, BIG cat. Before I got my jaw shut and my rifle up it was GONE! I have heard from some of the old timers around here that there were, or used to be puma around here. Local FR&G says no there ain't but this was the same guy who swore up and down that we did not have any feral HOG till I showed him the one I had hanging. Now they got regulations covering them. Anyhow one real old guy I knew (he died a few years back told me that there used to be some big Black cats down on the river. I thought he was pulling my leg. I have lived in this area for almost twenty years I did get a glimps of a puma once fifteen or so years ago but was driveing and not armed at the time. Any how some of you guys tell me I was not seeing things please!
I have heard stories of Dark puma in Oklahoma and old stories of them around here years ago. Have any of you ever seen any such? Do I need to start keeping my camera with me when I go calling? Or do I need to get my head checked? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

Oh no not again. There was another thread a while back that had some good info might want to search for it.

I use to think it was just BS hunter stories until it started coming from more reliable people. Have I ever seen one no. Do I think their out there sure. I just wish someone would shoot one already because everyone is gonna call BS until ones dead.

On the show Monster Quest they just did A show about sightings of large "black" cats. ALot of reports of people seeing them as well as some film footage. Pretty interesting stuff, you should check that out.

Heck in our part of ND they told us for years that there werent any mountain lions, couldnt happen you people are nuts, well now we have a season on em, no limit, east of the misouri river /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

So save the money of getting a shrink and spend it on some hounds, maybe a new gun and a camera /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Dave

I'm in kentucky
I haven't personally seen one but I know of people that said they have.
One being a lady who is on the same sanity level as my buddy's dad that goes out looking for 'Bigfoot'.... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif
that's not saying much haha
but one or two of the people are, believe it or not, reliable sources

on the land I hunt, there have been three sightings in the last five years of normal mountain lions, one was of two at one time, probably a breeding pair

I saw and shot one on my granddads ranch in Tenessee. I rolled it with a .243 at about 175 yards it got to it's feet and made a 20 yard sprint to deep bowl of a briar thicket. I did not go after it into the thicket(I was a too askeered /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif) but I did follow the blood trail the short way to the edge of the thicket. Oh and by the way I was only 16 and my grandad had contacted the authorities about it as it had been killing calves and they did nothing about it, so he put a bounty on it to all of us grandkids and my uncle's(I got to keep the rifle I shot it with) I shot it the opening day of deer season. We believe that it was released into the wild by some irresponsible owner who could no longer take care of it. No body in my family thinks it was born in the wild.

Chupa

I walked right up on one about 15-16 years ago while looking for mushrooms in a little chunk of timber behind a housing edition. Luckily, there was another guy with me who saw it too. I have always kinda dismissed it as "somebody's pet" or something like that, but an incredible thing to see in the wild none the less. This was in the South Kansas City area.

Quote:
I'm in kentucky
I haven't personally seen one but I know of people that said they have.
One being a lady who is on the same sanity level as my buddy's dad that goes out looking for 'Bigfoot'.... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif
that's not saying much haha
but one or two of the people are, believe it or not, reliable sources

In Kentucky???????? Yeah riiiiiggggghttttttttttttt!!!!!!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Just kidding, I've got a lot of friends in Loovulle with the Kentucky Air Guard.

Quote:
I saw and shot one on my granddads ranch in Tenessee. I rolled it with a .243 at about 175 yards it got to it's feet and made a 20 yard sprint to deep bowl of a briar thicket. I did not go after it into the thicket(I was a too askeered /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif) but I did follow the blood trail the short way to the edge of the thicket. Oh and by the way I was only 16 and my grandad had contacted the authorities about it as it had been killing calves and they did nothing about it, so he put a bounty on it to all of us grandkids and my uncle's(I got to keep the rifle I shot it with) I shot it the opening day of deer season. We believe that it was released into the wild by some irresponsible owner who could no longer take care of it. No body in my family thinks it was born in the wild.

Chupa

Did you find it? Do you have any pictures?

Quote:
Panther??? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused1.gif

That was my first thought when I seen "something" driving the back roads where I hunt. I didn't say anything until a group of us that hunt together were shooting trap one night and it was brought up that 2 other guys had seen something also. I have seen this "cat" 3 times but have never had a gun or camera with me at the right time.

Quote:
Quote:

Chupa

Did you find it? Do you have any pictures?

No, no pictures. We never tried to retrieve it as far as I know. It would have required a machete to get in there and when I left to go back to my box blind I could still here it screaming from the thicket. When my uncle's got there I told them about it and they wanted to go get it I told them "It's in there, and I think it's still alive" so we didn't go in. But the predations stopped so I assume it died.

Chupa

In the early 70's, in northeastern okla, near tahleqah, I was sitting in a tree stand overlooking a field of winter wheat. Deep woods on 3 sides, the field was probably 100 yds wide across from my stand. It was archery season and the deer were using the field about 30 min before dark and on.I watched as 2 doe exited the woods on the opposite side of the field and slowly began to graze, cautiously watching their backtrail. By the time they were well into the field I glimpsed more movement right where they entered the field. Out stepped a huge black cat, well over 100-150 lbs, tracking the does. I had a pair of binoculars on him and he had the most beautiful yellow eyes.As he stepped out in the field the does turned on the afterburners and headed for the woods. I watched him trail them on in to the woods and then had to climb down in the dark and find my way back to the truck w/o a light. Man, whistled all the way, like walking by a graveyard at night,seemed to help, but it takes a while for the puckerstring to loosen up. I spoke to the fish and game dept the next day and they claimed no such thing existed.

Here in SD, we obviously have mountain lions, but for a long time stories circulated of seeing them in places where " there aren't any". I had one in my pasture, and saw it while mowing, but all I had with me was my .40, and it was almost 200 yds. away. Now, they admit that even females are moving out of the Black Hills, so there can and will be family units in new places. Some morning when I go to let my dog off the chain, there will just be a bone pile!

Along the same lines, years back, bowhunting in a somewhat popular area, the stories of an elk being seen around there were common. Pretty soon some local jokers were carrying elk bugles, just to have fun. Then they'd get an answer...another joker..? It was pretty silly for a while. Kind of comes back to the "if you haven't heard a good rumor, start one"!

I believe that some genetics test showed that panthers and mountain lions are genetically the same critter with color dominance differences. It was long ago that I read it so memory.... Also, melonism is not un heard of in many species. I shot a pure black pheasant in Iowa at my parents farm several years ago. It was a young rooster and not a released bird. My buddy has seen others in his hunts.

USA today on Friday had a story about mountain lions expanding their ranges out of the Black Hills where they are over populated. According to the story one was killed near Milwaukee and another in Nebraska in recent days.

Several years ago there were many being seen in central Iowa. The DNR said there was nothing to it until.....
4 or 5 were killed in a very short time in widely spread areas. Apparently a couple were wearing radio collars that were removed by DNR guys who did not speak. They came, took the collar and and left. My brother has seen the radio tracking trucks driving in an area with confirmed calf kills. The DNR denied that the cattle were killed by a cat (they said dogs) until a vet did measurements on the wounds that could only fit cat jaws. The fact that the carcasses of the calfs were found up in the trees did not make any difference to the DNR boys.

Quote:
Oh no not again.

I use to think it was just BS hunter stories until it started coming from more reliable people. Have I ever seen one no. Do I think their out there sure. I just wish someone would shoot one already because everyone is gonna call BS until ones dead.

I find it interesting that folks that live where there are (supposedly) no Big Cats, seem to see quite a few of them. While most people that live out west where there's no question of their presence, spend a whole lifetime of hunting without ever seeing even one????????????
I'm not calling anyone a liar, so please don't take it that way, but I'll bet that most of the sightings are some idiot's "PET" that either escaped or was abandoned.
Especially if they find the alleged Cat's kills in a tree. Mountain Lions bury their kills. They're not Leopards and there aren't any Lions or Hienas around to take it away from them.
I knew an old carpenter years ago that actually bought and sold Exotic Cats for pets. From what he told me, very few of them were legal to own. He was a real odd-ball and it would always make me chuckle when he would say "I just got a truck load of Hot Cats last nite"...

There is always an eye witness, be it uncle, grand father, or father....but no photo? At every personally accounted shooting, ther is never a retrieval of the carcass,and associated photo. There has never been a carcass found, nor a hide, or a photo....nothing.
I can't believe this urban myth continues, like bigfoot,Nessie and little green men. Im amazed grown men still ponder this stuff, much less claim to have seen it, heard it,or believe it, totally amusing.

Dang Chile, you beat me to it... If I remember correctly Chile, several years back you offered a crisp C-note to anyone coming up with some solid evidence of a black mtn. lion. I trust that $100 is still safely in your possession.

It is laughable how this topic comes up year after year and never a photo or any real evidence(like a dead black mountain lion) I live in the heart of lion country where hundreds of lions are killed yearly and never once has there been a black mtn. lion killed or photographed that I know of. The claims of black mtn. lions always come from places where they are dang few, if any lions to begin with, but yet the mystery continues...

Back