stereo sounds

love2hunt

Are the sounds from fox pro in stereo. Like yhe coyote killing the rabbit. Can you play that on both speakers on the scorpion. If not how do you get stereo sounds on the scorpion.thanks

Good question? I'm not sure how to format them to stereo but when I ordered mine I was told you can play two differnt sounds. I have heard that the FX5 will play the stereo sounds but all sounds come from both speakers.

You can play two different sounds out of each speaker (External & Internal or two Externals) on the Scorpion, but the soundfile must be a stereo file. The FoxPro sounds are mono, but I would assume if you want some of them in a stereo format, they could put them into that type of file for you.

My question is wouldn't that create larger sound files & reduce the number of sounds on the caller?

That doesn't matter to me but it might to some folks.

Yes, the sound file size is doubled. No, it doesn't reduce the number of sounds thanks to lots of cheap memory in modern callers.

Pertinent out of context quotes from Mike Dillon.

Quote:
Your right we may mix sounds in stereo if that is what our customers want.

Quote:
We wouldn't consider making a stereo unit without giving you the ability to remotely control the speakers. It is very easy to make a unit stereo--a little more difficult to control those speakers from a remote.

So it would appear that both remote stereo balance and stereo sounds are coming in the near future for the FoxPro.

Quote:

So it would appear that both remote stereo balance and stereo sounds are coming in the near future for the FoxPro.

With the Scorpion and the PB you already have stereo and yes you can control each speaker, as you can turn each on off independently from the transmitter.

How much stereo helps is the real question?

Now that you made the switch to stereo, you'll never know until you put together an 8-pack and give it to the guys with a PB or a Scorpion/SP55.

For sure, the stereo callers are a big improvement standing around the tailgate after the stand playing Moody Blues or Dire Straits. That's where jukebox mode comes in handy.

Quote:
Now that you made the switch to stereo, you'll never know until you put together an 8-pack and give it to the guys with a PB or a Scorpion/SP55.

For sure, the stereo callers are a big improvement standing around the tailgate after the stand playing Moody Blues or Dire Straits. That's where jukebox mode comes in handy.

agreed... but how can one be certain those critters could not have be called with mono sounds? For 50 years now mono was king in this industry with lots of critters to show for it.

even you liked mono sounds...

http://www.predatormastersforums.com/ubb...part=1&vc=1

Quote:

The guy with a commercial ecaller needs a 44.1 Khz 16-bit sound encoded as a 320 Kbps MP3. No offense, but in a perfect world, where even the rabbit cooperates, I like a 55 second loop with 2.5 seconds of silence at each end so I can count the one-minute loops on each stand without having to move and look at my watch. I'd make the sound mono, not stereo or two-channel (now that would be actually 160 Kbps) so it takes up half the space on the flash memory and half the time for the download.

and...

http://www.predatormastersforums.com/ubb...ue#Post52171638

Quote:

All speakers are not created equal either. I tend to like monaural sound, single channel amps, and one single speaker on my rat squeak broadcaster, but that's just me. Stereo-style is fine too and a jillion critters have died coming to converted car stereos and boom boxes. But when I rigged the caller on the truck using a TOA CA-130 p.a., I tested several speakers in a very unscientific fashion. The ear test. For some reason that TOA speaker is ))LOUDER(( than the JBL's, the Panasonic, and the Radio Shack speakers I tried and it didn't matter if I used one speaker, or two, wired in series or parallel. The TOA won hands down. Two coyotes showed up during the test. From the barking out on the back 40, even they picked the TOA! I suppose that gets me back to my original speaker sensitivity question. And that's why I said all speakers aren't created equal.

I have never fooled with making any stereo sounds with Goldwave, but don't think it would be much trouble. That being said, if I did make stereo sounds, I wouldn't make the sequence any longer than the ones I make now in mono; I would just move the sound parts from one channel to another. I have posted before that I think it makes very little difference if the speakers are together. If I was inclined to play that game, I'd use the Scorpion, and put my extra SP-55 from 3 feet to 10 feet apart, and control each speaker with my remote or arrange the sequence where the stereo configuration of the sound would automatically make it come out of the proper speaker. There are so many angles to discuss on this subject that we could be talking from now until hell freezes over and still not see eye to eye. When you think how many coyotes have been called in by hunters using hand/mouth calls, I doubt any of them were calling in stereo mode.

No doubt about it, mono is king.

Jack2.jpg

The Jack Rabbits I have seen have one mouth!

If our customers want stereo sounds thats fine but I'm hesitent to tout them as "all that" as it reeks of snake oil salesmanship.

Were you using MID/SIDE in that clip? It looks like the top channel's element was closer to the mouth.

How far were the elements from each other? Were they both on axis?

Looking at the zoomed out portion at the bottom of your picture you can clearly see who ever recorded this was very heavily realying on the limiter, or the AGC, or the ALC, etc. of the recorder or they simply did lots of compression in post. This will make it appear louder but this is not an accurate reproduction as you have destroyed the natural dynamic range of the animals vocalization.

Stereo is fun agreed. Mono still has 50 years of empirical data to lend to its credibility.

Edited to add:

More on the death of dynamic range:

http://www.mindspring.com/~mrichter/dynamics/dynamics.htm

Last edited:
Have any of your customers asked for them yet? Maybe people will start messing with them in the off-season? I've been trying various things infrequently for almost two years. Not snake oil or a magic bullet. I usually save these for the end of the day when I don't mine burning the battery on 2 speakers. I'm almost convinced the crow sounds work better in stereo. Tom & Jerry.

TJ2.jpg

Very few have asked but we will oblige. Even with the low number of requests for stereo sounds we get it is still more then the total number of people who sent their TX-200 into be upgraded to the large print mode.

Edited to add:

The more I think about why do you care what Foxpro does? You are not on our Field Staff. You have your own sound mixes that you use in your Minaska. IF you had one of our stereo callers you could put YOUR mixes in it. Are you doing this for the benefit of our customers?

If we oblige will someone say touché we copied someone else?

You practically shamed us into other products that angered many. I know you hate the "ridiculous" scrolling as you affectionately call it.

What is your REAL angle in your posts that refer to us?

Last edited:
I'm a customer too. I own several FoxPro products and so do most of the guys in PCOC. Thanks for the large font upgrade and the red backlight. I use them and think those are both great features, but a lot of guys don't know about them. They don't read the forums.

Sorry, page scrolling with the small font is still tough for some folks. It takes good eyes and practice. Twice I lent out the FX5 and twice others couldn't figure out the remote. My FX3 is a better lender. Gerry had a tough time with his 5 when he was here. I loaded a few sounds and set his presets for him, a bird, a rabbit, a coaxer, and a ki-yi. It may have been too complicated for him to use.

You're smart to keep it simple. Less is probably more. If you're convinced mono is king, whose idea was it to go stereo? I never wrote a word about it until the end of October, after the Scorpion was way beyond a concept.

Gary,

Your Foxpro FX5 is MONO. How do you like the SP-55. We have alot of Field Staff and customers that have them mounted under the hood and love them.

Since your taking the i'm a customer to angle...

Is turnabout fair play?

Since we are Minaska customers as well can you see if we get the free sounds? Can we also get logged on to the Forums to ask questions?

Why don't they allow the general public on thier forums? It would allow potential customers the ability to go right to the source for information.

They could easily move the sounds to another site to keep them safe. We have a secure site for our Field Staff and Platinum Dealers to get our sounds.

When will they have previews so that we the current customers or potential new customers can hear their library before purchase?

Are they doing wavs yet? I think that could be as important as stereo.

Remember my angle is simple... we are a customer of thiers as well.

PS...
Are you convinced stereo is king? Since Stereo is a recent like of yours something must have changed your mind. SHOW YOUR DATA.

I can't help you there. Your angles are never that simple.

Other than being a satisfied Big Country Bandit owner, and swapping some pics for swag last summer, I have no inside information on the operation of Minaska's business or website. I've always been pleased with their customer service. If you think they owe you a justification of their business plan or you've got a complaint based on your caller purchase, you might want to call Minaska directly. One of the owners usually picks up the phone.

The SP55? It's small, fits in a pack, and it works well, but it's not as tough, light, or versatile as the TOA. I run my TOAs through the dirt, mud, and gravel every day and they survived both washing at the carwash and with the garden hose many times.

TOAunderTruck2.jpg

SHOW MY DATA? next you'll want my best hunt spots.

You're the guy with the million-dollar cash flow, three stereo callers for sale, and a jillion field associates. Respectfully, I suggest you design a test, send them callers and sounds, and put those guys to work.

Trust me, They'll hold up.
Mounted under the front bumper , right in front of the right side tire. The fender well has been cut short to accomodate the large tires so it gets it from the front as well as the back. It has been subjected to some serious air time, harsh landings, water, snow ,mud, dirt, rocks, dust, and even submerged a time or two. Been there for about 3 yrs now and still ticking. Can you tell me what versatile about a speaker? Either it plays or it don't. Is the freq. response range better on the TOA than the SP55? Is the max volume better and if so, with what amp? Does any of this even matter to the coyotes?
Dsc00481.jpg

Dsc00482.jpg

That's a great spot to mount a speaker. That picture makes it look like the speaker is completely surrounded by the truck and not exposed much to anything. I don't have that luxury.

I still prefer the aluminum speaker and stainless mounting bracket. The SC110 is $38.50.

I'll leave it to you to compare the frequency response, sensitivity, and direcitivity. The spec sheet is available for all to see at toaelectronics.com. I haven't seen the SP55 specs posted.

Back