calls for this time of year

oldwretched

Heading for the California high desert this saturday was just wondering what calls would be the most effective this time of year? I have a pup distress,coyote fight , jackrabbit and flicker distress and others any ideas. Thanks Oldwretched

If you have them, I'd bring along a lone howl, and a grey fox pup tape.

Good luck and please let us know how your trip went.

Sock it to 'em....
wink.gif

------------------
yotewalk.gif

Might want to use a challenge call,Went out this afternoon,did two stands, rabbit calls, no luck,heading back to the jeep,I heard two yotes challenging each other, so I got into the act, as a third party, both came in, wanting to fight, shot one at 20yds., the second one stayed close, never got a shot, before it got dark, still wanted to fight.

for got to mention, I don't know about the the high deserts of Cal. but in N.Mex. the rattlers are out, I recommend some snake proof gaiters, Just for peace of mind..

Why in the hell do you want to be out huntin those poor devils in the summer for??? This time of year they are busy breeding,denning, and having pups for you to murder next fall....give em a break buddy. Grab your fishing rod or camera, anything to kill time, but don;t be wacking coyotes this time of year.
Vic

Hey Vic, Did I say anything about killing coyotes all I asked was what calls would be effective this time of year.Your opinion is valid unless you are a rancher losing stock or a pet owner who loses their beloved pet.Besides that this weekend is one of the few I actually have time to get out with my son so wether or not I take any coyotes is actually beside the point but being that season on coyotes is year round here and my son has never taken one we will try to get him his first but my intent is for a good father son trip with hunting just being the basis for me to spend time with my son.The area is open range and the ranchers would be more than appreciative of us removing some of the "poor devils" so I hope my son gets his and if not the area is also loaded with jackrabbits so we will at least have some fun with the .22s Oldwretched

Well, I guess the annual p*ssing contest has started again. There are those who hunt wide open public lands that lay off hunting to "replenish the crop" during the summer and there are those that hunt cattle ranches year round at the encouragement of the ranchers. Let each hunt in their own way. We have enough outsiders taking pot shots at us without doing it in our own house.

Good Hunting,

Bob C.

------------------
“No man shall ever be debarred the use of arms. The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms, is as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government.”
Thomas Jefferson, June 1776

oldwretched
I wish you and your son GOOD luck.
Teach your kid's to hunt and more than likely you'll never have to go hunt for your kids
My first coyote hunt will be the first week of June and it's due to some problem's that they are causing so it's kind of a combo hunt I get a lesson and maybe the farmer keeps some of his domestic cats and chicken's

------------------

Since the hunting I do this time of year is to try and keep ole man coyote out of the sheep and goat herds, I use a baby goat call, a challenge call and a baby rabbit call. Usually one of them will work.

Pecos

------------------
pmcatsig.gif

hey vic, I understand your point, but here in N.M., we have more coyotes than deer, in the southwest part, and thats what holds the deer herds down,plus alot of lions.

Jeep...

Vic and I share the same conviction on when and when not to call critters, but this a strictly a matter of personal choice.

Nor do I hold anything against a caller that wishes to call all year long. Then there are situations where predation problems develop and must be controlled.

It’s all a matter of personal choice in the same fashion that some folks drive Fords and some Chevys.

Different stroke for different folks...
wink.gif

------------------
yotewalk.gif

Clyde,

For those who don't recognize the name; Vic carlson is certainly not any of those things that you are suggesting. He has paid his dues, and hunted all types of predators for many years.

A former Captain of the original Predator Posse, and one of the only two Coyote Gods, his credentials are rock solid.

You should understand that there is a segment of the predator hunting community that are strictly sport hunters. Some might say that, in his above post, he could have been a bit more tactful. The truth is that calling coyotes this time of year is not nearly as productive as later on this fall. Many people observe an informal "denning season", where they allow the coyote a brief respite from constant pursuit.

I am positive that the intent of his post, was to suggest that there are better times to hunt coyotes, than right now. And, for the most part, I agree with that assessment.

So, with that in mind, let's be careful with the names, and insinuations.
smile.gif
Thanks.

Good hunting. LB

(edited for punctuation, and spelling)

[This message has been edited by Leonard (edited 05-04-2001).]

Meanwhile...

all of the callers/hunters that DO hunt the year 'round get to have just that much more "peace and quiet to themselves" out in the field during the Summer months...

Its quite nice to not have the "extra traffic" in the hunting grounds... To be able to go down a two track and then return three weeks later to find my tire tracks undisturbed from the previous excursion... ahhhh...

so all you guys should definitely stay home this Summer !
cool.gif
haha.

Take it Easy,

Robb

------------------
"Happiness... is a Target-Rich Environment"

paws2.gif

On April 15, a year ago, I had two hunters out. Called in 8 coyotes for them that day. One of them busted a female dead center with a .308, and there were coyote pup embryos scattered all over the ground. Each embryo was a few inches long and very well developed. Sort of a sickening sight.

On the practical side, this is one of my favorite areas. I couldn't help but wonder how much impact a few kills like that would have on my hunting in that area.

Each person has the right to do as he wishes. It is legal to shoot them all year here.

I'd rather not.........

------------------
Critr
www.SaguaroSafaris.com
LW42144.jpg

http://www.predatormasters.com

FWIW....

According to the "guru's" in the Biology Forum and what I was taught in Wildlife Biology and Animal Damage Control, probably very little impact overall.

You get into dispersion, resource and space limitations, carrying capacity, population dynamics, mortality rates etc etc... The Predator Biology Forum covers the finer details pretty well if a person cares to dig deeper...

I'll admit that it would be a bit disturbing to see the fetus's if you weren't used to that kinda stuff...

I certainly agree 100%, its all a personal choice.

Robb

------------------
"Happiness... is a Target-Rich Environment"
(edit: spelling/grammar)
paws2.gif

[This message has been edited by Robb/Scottsdale/AZ (edited 05-04-2001).]

Back