High Rack Input

Murph

I'm in planning stage of making a high chair to go in the back of my truck which does not have a headache rack and i got the idea to maybe use my B&W removable gooseneck hitch as a sturdy anchor point....tell me what ya think

You could cut two pieces of angle to go across the bed, and build off that. I wouldnt trust the hitch, plus you need it to be sturdy.

I have built several racks over the years.

Several of the first ones were "removable" type racks that had free standing legs. These were secured to the truck with tie downs to the bed ancors. While they worked well, they all suffered from the stability standpoint. They work against the truck and over the years (expecially in rough country) they begin to squeek and become more unstable in the process.

The last rack I built was not from the ground up, but more from the bed rails up. I still wanted it to be removable, but alot more permanent if needed. I looked at it as a long term deal, and started off with heavy built bed rails running all the way to the tailgate. I then built the "base" of the stand to sit on top of this very sturdy platform. I used the same large angle iron as the bed rails as the base and built off of that. When doing this remember that all beds arent "sqaure" and you need to measure accordingly. I drilled holes through the bed rails and put sturdy bolts through the "base" and the bed rails to secure it(both from the top, and the inside of the rails). I used long strips of a round hay bail "bailer" rubber rollers as a buffer between the bed rails and the "base"(got it at tractors supply). Might not be the best way, but I used gorilla glue to secure the "strips". There are tons of ways to go from there, but I feel the base is what adds the support, you really cant go wrong if you get the base right. I have taken tons of ideas I have seen over the years on other racks and formed it into what works best for us. With all the pics on this sight it wont be hard for you to do the same.

As long as it turns out as a sturdy shooting rest and doesnt make too much noise you have done a good job.

Take care,

Todd

look at thread on predator hunting( high seat arm) under lone star field products. the arm is the key to your high rack.

Hey Murph, if your gooseneck hitch is the same as mine, I'd trust it to be a VERY sturdy tie-down point!! If your g-neck comes off the hitch, and safety chains are all you have left..you'd know for sure that hitch is plenty sturdy!! Trust me on that one.. I have two steel loops that can be raised for the safety chains and those will be used for mounting points, as well as any other available tie down I can use.

I do like the 'from the bedrails up' option though! I've also seen some high dollar modular pipe racks that would work quite well for a high rack with only a few mods. The rated weight for those is 1000lbs and over! But I digress...

here is mine I am about to make more changes to it will post pics when I do
Picture127.jpg

Picture122.jpg

0a73dbf6.jpg

Picture_249.jpg

P1010053.jpg

I feel kind of funny saying this to a guy, but.....

NICE RACK! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-006.gif

Keep us posted on how it does in the field.

Take care and God Bless,

Rusty

Quote:
I feel kind of funny saying this to a guy, but.....

NICE RACK! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-006.gif

That's down right funny! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif

Back