Cougars and coyote

Klicker

Found this today...coyote killed and almost entirely consumed by a pair of lions.
7db4ad6e.jpg

f7ff01bf.jpg

Even the head was eaten, this 5" piece of bone is the only large chunk left.
c1e42362.jpg

The track on the left is quite large, the knife is 3 7/8" long.
b92fe022.jpg

These pics were taken approx. 36 hours after the event.

Poor Cat,,,,,,,,,, I doubt that it'll ever get the taste out of it's mouth. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Seriously though,,, That's interesting. I never would have thought that a Cat would eat a Coyote.

Once you think about it. It probably happens now and again. We're just not aware of it. Protien's protien in the food chain.

Thanks for taking the time to post that. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif

No doubt lions will on occasion take a coyote. But a couple of things. That does not look like a typical lion kill as lion kills are for the most part very neat. I've seen and investigated a lot of lion kills that you would think someone with a fillet knife skinned and boned the animal out, they were so neat. An example, lions love porcupines and they will kill them, eat them and all that will be left is a caped out hide with the head and feet on it and just as neat as possibly could be. The second thing is that does not seem to me anyways to look like a lion track. I would say a big dog and depending on where you are located possibly a wolf.
I'm not saying your observation is wrong, and the above is based on my experience and my observation of your pictures.

Quote:
The second thing is that does not seem to me anyways to look like a lion track. I would say a big dog and depending on where you are located possibly a wolf.
I'm not saying your observation is wrong, and the above is based on my experience and my observation of your pictures.

itrap4u,,,,,,,, Since I have very little experience with Lion kill sites (I've found 2 old ones that were buried and had been worked over by other critters), I believe what you say about them. Plus it makes sence that a Cat being a Cat, that they would be pretty meticulous about things.
I do however see a few Lion tracks and ALOT of Wolf tracks each year and looking at the print on the right think that may well be a Cat track.

cat1.jpg

Here's a pretty good pic of a fresh Wolf track for comparison. They seem longer and narrower as well as the X and toe-nails that normally distinguish canine tracks.
Another thing that makes me doubt it was a Wolf is that the Wolves up here kill alot of Hounds each year protecting their territory, but I've yet to hear of them eating one. They normally kill it and thats it. I imagine the same goes for Coyotes.
It is kinda hard to tell about the tracks by just a photo so it could be large dogs like you suggested, since the poster said there were two perps.????????
I sure don't doubt your experience, nor am I looking for a fight. Just curious what yours and others opinions are.
Maybe some of the wildlife biologists on this site will chime in.

I'm moving, people where you guys hunt are dropping pocket knives and money everywhere. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Quote:
I'm moving, people where you guys hunt are dropping pocket knives and money everywhere. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

LOL good idea.

I see a smaller track,to the right of the one with the knife,laying in it.The one to the right,is most deffinitly a cat track.The track to the right,seems much clearer,and with better detail.I can see the pad clearer in the smaller track,and no sign of toe nails in the track. Do you have lynx in that area?

Quote:
Does that 0ne dollar bill have a picture of George Washington on the other side. If it does, it's the one I lost. Got my address?

WOW,,,,Small world!!! Turns out it does have a pic of George on the other side.
Fortunatly for you, I'm an honest person so I left it right there where you dropped it. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

I've seen where they do that to a deer too, well at least you know where to hunt for a cat now. Thanks for the story and the pics.

Repete, your avatar is hilarious! Nice photo of the wolf tracks. Regarding the cat tracks, the photo is not the best, however, I'm confident they are lion tracks. I was backtracking the smaller one and the tracks converged with the larger one. I then backtracked them both to the kill site. It is possible that the cats were not traveling together...that the tracks were made at different times. The coyote was killed a short ways away and then carried to the site under a fir tree and eaten there. You can't tell from the pics, but the coyote was consumed to the skin in a manner not inconsistent with a lion kill...the skin was in tatters but somewhat connected. What seems especially odd to me is that the coyote was eaten when deer are readily available at that location, with cover and terrain suited to cougar style hunting tactics. There was also a pile of recycled coyote or deer, complete with hair and bone fragments, about 100 yards away.

itrap4u, If you could see the overall context of the kill site, I'm sure you would agree it is a lion kill. The fact that the coyote was consumed so completely, feet, guts, etc., was what I found strange. I agree with your observation of porcupine kills. Porcupines have in fact become rather scarce around here.

Quote:
had one female with a documented 13 coyote kills here in arizona. til she got killed by a hunter.

Did the cat eat them or leave them lay?

Looks like cougar tracks to me. Being I know the area you live, I have no doubt you have multiple cats traveling together.

I've been told there have been 7 cougars taken in the last 2 1/2 weeks in this county. Not called but incidentals and damage control hound chased cats. I can't verify that but that's what I hear from reliable source. The snow has really pushed them low and has concentrated them.

When I trapped coyotes in the woods I had several coyotes killed in the trap by cougars.

Good hunting

Quote:
Quote:
had one female with a documented 13 coyote kills here in arizona. til she got killed by a hunter.

Did the cat eat them or leave them lay?

she ate them. cougars have no problem eating a coyote. a big tom, if he kills another cougar, which happens with regularity when cougars abound, will eat that cat as well. i read a study done in n.m. that ran over a decade and seems that when a big tom ran into a smaller tom or cubs it would kill them and eat them. couple of females got whacked and ate to but can't remember their particular situations.

Klicker...........I swiped that avitar off of the net. It was so funny I just couldn't help myself.
Dang it!!!! I shouldn't of said that. I just told Weasel that I was honest. Now when he goes back to pick his dollar up and finds it missing he's going to think I stole it.. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Sounds like a pretty good area to call Cats with all that sighn around.
Go get em /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif

I don't want to start a fire,but I think the track looks like a melted out canine track.I do agree that lions will kill yotes,but in these pics I'm not so sure its the case.
Wolves travel alot,and there nails get ground down,they are not always seen in a track.The toes in the pics to me look to pointed,and the rear part of the pad looks canine.Just what I see in the pic.
How warm was it prior to, and also when the pic was taken?

Back