9mm ar for hunting coyotes

emsemt911

I have a 9mm RRA with 16 inch barrel. I am shooting standard 9mm rounds and know the ballistics to 100 yds.
Now the questions: How far is its effectiveness for a clean kill?
I ask this question because I would like to use the gun for hunting coyotes and simular sized animals. Also the possibility of using it on 125-150 lb exotic rams in Texas.

I suppose it would work, but i wouldn't do it. At close range with HP bullets, maybe. Otherwise the 9mm is a poor killer. Years ago I tried a 357 Mag on jacks with 125gr. HP's. Once again, it was OK but did not provide the quick-stop kills I wanted. There just isn't enough bullet weight X velocity(squared) working for you. Just my opinion. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused1.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused1.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused1.gif

The 9mm when fired from a carbine has velocity almost 2-300ft/sec faster than it's pistol. If you load for the carbine you can get an additional 200 ft/sec over those velocities.

Most of these velocities are equal to the 357 magnum and is very adequate under 100 yards on yotes.....of course shot placement with a 22lr will work.

If you want even more out of a 9mm carbine there is sub-machine gun ammo specificlly for 9mm carbines that will give you even more velocity surpassing and handgun 357 magnum.

If you shoot a 357 magnum loaded for a carbine like a Winny, Marlin or Puma etc. you can gain almost 800ft/sec.

On a side note....I have a 9mm carbine AR and a few coyotes have already fallen to it. It's amazing how accurate and how little bullet drop there is out of a 16" carbine .... they are nothing like their handgun counterpart.

There is a fellow over on AR15.com that uses a silenced 9mm carbine with a 16in barrel to hunt hogs with.

His said at first he didn't know if it would be enough, but it worked so great the first few times he used it, that's all he carries now.

I shot a large dog that kept knocking over my trash can and dragging garbage all over the yard this last summer with my 9mm AR.

It made one yelp and it was dead.

I recommend Winchester Rangers in the 127 gr. +P+. Although the guy that hunts hogs says all he every uses is the cheap 115 gr. FMJs.

Back