Freezer prepping coyotes for competition!

d2admin

Administrator
Hello Leonard, I know that you call coyotes on a competitive level so I want to visit about something here.
As you know probably from various comments here on this board my pard and I happened to be lucky enough to win the Antelope eaters contest this year.
We did it in kind of a decisive fashion, our take of 10 coyotes was a first for this event.
I knew that this was going to draw some comments from a few less fortunate folks, yet they had not really materialized so far.

Well today they did, My pard called me and said that there were some hunters that were spreading some rumors that we had hunted a private ranch and had coyotes stockpiled before the event.
I guess that I had kind of let my guard down in the last little while and my first reaction was that I would kind of like to go visit with these fellas for just a few minutes.

But then my normal cool thinking returned..

What they don't realize is that if I had not been shooting like a drunk man the first day we would have had 10 the first day instead of just 6.
Now wouldn't that have given them something to squeal about!

So instead of getting mad I kind of decided to get even. I am going to give free coyote calling seminar geared towards beginning callers in this area. I am going to make it a two day affair. Day one is going to be friday evening from about 6 to 10. An hour of classroom and then a short hike to make a call. Followed by more discussion
Then Saturday morning I am thinking of a couple of calls followed by some other basics out in the field. But this is where I am thinking about tweeking some noses a tad.

I am intertaining the idea of whacking a coyote some days before and freezing him . Then when I get back from the call I can do a little skit on freezer prepping your dogs for competition!

I know that this should be beneath me , and by the time of the seminar it may very well be.
I don't know, what do you think?

I guarentee you though that I have a few certain places of biz in mind that are going to get a flyer posted in their window however.

I am sure that you have dealt with this sort of thing before, and probably the best way to handle it is to simply not lower myself to their standards. But dam it is hard sometimes someone is direly in need of a tuning.

I had already planned on a seminar to help some of the beginning callers that have been after me for advice around here, but the frozen yote seemed to fun to resist.

What ya think pard?

Craig.

[This message has been edited by Craig Hamilton (edited 05-01-2001).]

That might just be a stroke of genius, Craig. Dunno if it would backfire on you or not...

ROFLMAO
biggrin.gif

------------------
"When They turn the pages of history,
When these days have passed long ago.

Will they read about us in sorrow,
for the seeds that we let grow?" - RUSH, "A Farewell To Kings"

I would almost bet that if you did what you are thinking about a week later you will have wished you didn't. give it some more thought, hell everybody gets lucky this time it was your turn

Craig, we get the same crap down here when we win. It's human nature ..not accepting defeat very well.Or in other words..SORE LOSERS!!! Problem is, the guys runnin' their suckhole won't come to your course. They'll stand out there and look like a cow looking at a new gate, and wonder why they keep getting beat, then continue to whine. Funny thing is , they won't say that to your face. I think it's a great idea though.If it weren't so far , I'd come. See ya'...Randy

------------------
http://predatormasters.com/varmint_masters.html

Yes Craig. We have looked into the problem, and I have seen enough doctored animals that I know where to start looking. Some of us were not born yesterday, and don't like to be made fools of.

The harder thing to police is like what happened at one of the last events, this past season. How can you determine if method of take was legitimate? A far more difficult practice to uncover would be "pooling". Some think they know all the angles, but an inventive cheater is usually one step ahead of the preventive measures.

Anyway. Addressing the "credibility" factor. At one time, I had enough difficulty killing a handfull of animals on any given hunt. There is always talk among the "also rans" that the winners turned in an unbelievable kill.

To explain it in terms of being on the bottom, looking up; I can say that the concept of killing a half a dozen animals per day was unbelievable....to me. Then, I did it, and had to readjust my thinking. And, then it progresses until you can look at a kill, and honestly say to yourself; I could have done that, if I didn't miss those two,or four; or whatever little mistakes that you look back on, and can see where it might have resulted in a better score.

I have reached the point where I can believe anything, (in all modesty) because I've done it myself. So, it is not enough that all the competitors view the winning team as believable, that only addresses your personal level of skill. Now you have to look at the factors and the clues, and the personal integrity of the teams that placed above you in the event. Sometimes, nobody ever heard of them. This isn't a reason to disqualify, or even to cast aspersions. As you know, there is a certain amount of luck involved. You get into animals, and sometimes, you are in the wrong place. This happens.

Ten coyotes in two days? perfectly believable. Ten coyotes in a single day? Again, based on personal experience, yes that can be done; right area, no mistakes, etc. Personally, I have done twelve in a day, but I have no hope of doing it in an unfamiliar area, the locals always have a certain advantage.

I wouldn't worry about the character assassins. If you did it, don't let it distress you. Actually the best thing to do is laugh it off, and conduct yourself honorably. This is an activity that will always have some weasel causing trouble; goes with the territory.

Good hunting. LB

PS by the way, if I didn't do it before, congratulations on your hunt. Perhaps next year I can attend?

I agree with Leonard.I wouldn't give them the satisfaction of knowing it pissed you off.You know the truth and that's all that matters.One thing I know for sure is some people can't lose gracefully and that's a sad fact of the game,laugh it off and let them cry in there Beer....
smile.gif

Craig, as long as you're top dog, small dogs are going to yap at you. Ignoring them elevates you to an exalted position, yapping back diminishes your dignity. Success is the sweetest revenge, kick their a$$es again next year. Rich

Well guys, thank you all for the great advice. I have to admit it looks a little different to me even just a day later.

I am going to go foward with the seminar however, I still feel that there are ways that I could help the sport . Not to mention quite a few guys around here that are having trouble getting good hands on info.

I REALLY want to do this under the banner of Predator Masters. To help promote this site and its ideas.

Will I promise that I won't do anything so distasteful to your dream here as freeze a coyote.

The redneck just breaks out all over me sometimes.
And I know for a fact that Stu has a healthy dose of it his own self!
I have seen it first hand .

When I get together a clinic format I will post it to see what you all think.

Thanks again , Craig.

Sounds to me like you're hinting about a story you'd like to tell there, eh, Craig?
biggrin.gif

I'd still like to be on hand when you come trotting out with a whole, frozen yote and announce that this can be a winning tactic in calling competitions...

Probably come back to haunt you, but sure be good to raise a few beers over
biggrin.gif

------------------
"When They turn the pages of history,
When these days have passed long ago.

Will they read about us in sorrow,
for the seeds that we let grow?" - RUSH, "A Farewell To Kings"

Back