Custom 220 Swift

Landrum

Well, I finally decided to scrap my project and just order a Cooper Phoenix in 220 Swift. For what I want to do, the 1-14" twist barrel of the Phoenix will be fine and who can argue with the accuracy claims of Cooper? Another sticking point was that I wanted a repeater but, hell, I have other varmint/predator rifles so that's no big deal.

I am pumped about the new rifle and I cannot wait to take possession of it and put some glass on top. Hmmm, what new scope to buy? I have my own thoughts on that but what do you guys suggest?

Landrum

Being a swift it's not going to be a bench rest gun so what will it be for? Targets, PD's or coyotes? Making a glass decision really depends on what the ultimate use is.

Mainly targets and coyotes on occasion. I do not live in pd country so that is not a part of the agenda. However, it would make a nice pd rifle, no?

Landrum

You will find the swift to be a awesome rifle caliber
It has near the trajectory of a 204 rug /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smiliesmack.gif
No seriously all kidding a side
You made a great choice and you will be amazed at its accuracy
Congrats

Quote:
Mainly targets and coyotes on occasion. I do not live in pd country so that is not a part of the agenda. However, it would make a nice pd rifle, no?

Landrum

It certainly would make a dandy PD Rifle. I shot a Swift for a few years, but mostly a 22-250 then a 243 and now I shoot a 204 Ruger.

Something you might consider actually is two scopes. For spring and summer ground squirrel use here in Idaho I use an old Tasco 8 by 32 target scope and for coyotes a 3 by 9 or a 2.8 to 10 Simmons AETEC. Any low power variable that gives a wide field of view on the bottom end.

My old hunting partner just put a Burris 4.5 to 14 on his new CZ 527 204 Ruger, but I like the higher power scope for plinking and ground diggers. Also having an inexpensive high power scope can be used for testing ultimate accuracy on any new rifle purchase. This one has been on everything I own when working up accuracy loads. I picked it up years ago at a pawn shop for 75 bucks.

Good for you Landrum!

I adore the Swift. Mine has a tuned M700 action with a 28" Krieger barrel and a Vais muzzle break. I too opted for the 1-14" twist because all that I ever wanted to shoot were the 40 to 55 grain bullets thru it. I like the explosive effect of the lighter pills moving at very high speeds. Ground squirrels just explode when hit. Prairie dogs not as much being bigger, but still quite colorful to be sure.

I have Bushnell 4200 6-24X on mine with the mildot crosshairs. I sure did like the higher power when shooting at targets out past 400 yards or so. Even though I have two 6-20 Leupolds and a 6-20 Zeiss Conquest as well, the 4200 is as clear as gin and is very close to the Zeiss in overall clarity. I hope that you will give them a good look (no pun intended) before you make your decision.

And welcome to the world of the Swift. Likely, you will be here a long long while! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ooo.gif

You will like the cooper. Mine is a 6.5-284 very accurate.I shot a 4 shot group at 130 yards that was under .125. As for the swift, I have two, one is regular chamber the other is Ackley Improved both will shot in the .5 inch range. They are Remington 700's. I have 6-18 nikon buckmasters on all three of these rifles.

man gotta love those coopers, quality through and through. A rifle like that deserves some good glass. I have a phoenix in 22-250 with a zeiss conquest 4.5-14x44. Have not been disappointed.

Landrum,

You've got a dandy caliber there. I purchased an old FN Herstal(mauser 98)/Browning Safari at an estate sale this summer chambered in the SWIFT. BBL was smoked and rebuilt w/ a Lilja #5 1:12. I put a Burris 4.5-14 w/ Ballistic plex on mine. Really happy with the glass thus far. Good luck with that Swift. If you reload, be sure to try some IMR 4064.

Don't skimp on the glass. I've got a nice custom built swift. Like a dips**t I started out with some Simmons p.o.s. Finally grew a brain, parted with a few fun tokens and put a Burris Black Diamond 8-32x50 on top. Now I have a complete package that shoots like you wouldn't believe.

Back