2nd Annual LBL hunt

GEEZZ!!!!!!!you guys are going all technical on these dogs!!!! the better watch out next thing you know some one is gonna launch a satalite big enough to count the hairs on the dogs back!!!! this was supposed to be a friendy get together not world war 3 against the predators I LIKE IT!!!!!

AS for those jet ski's I already have permission to shoot every other one wiht a limit of ten when buzzing my favorite catfish hole /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Keekee, if you plan on zone 9 I've alredy eliminated colson hollow and red hollow. You want to concentrate efforts between colson and turkey bay rv area and in the blockhouse and jones creek areas.It was too windy the day I was in there, they were'nt talking. It's a nice hike from colson to redd hollow along the ridge that connects the two.

Gattling gun!! I don't need no stinking gattling gun. I have a 12 guage and BB's /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif Jimmie

Jimmie,

I gave the wrong info! Its zones 8 and 10. Most in zone 10 from Fords bay area back to Bacon creek area. Around the lick creek area, big creek bed in there, lots of sign.

Hunted alot of that area last year, figured it would be a good place to start. Would like to work down by the lake some this year to.

I will be rolling in on Thursday around 12:00 am or so, Im going to do some looking and at dark get out and about with the howler and see if I can locate some other areas as well. I will take good notes. To Share! You been in any of these areas Jimmie?

Im all for the air strike!!!!!!! But lets wait till Sunday!!! LOL

Kee

You can eliminate the areas there by Bethlehem cemetary on road 174 in zone 10. They've either been wiped out or forced to move. They may or may not be back by the time of the hunt.Those places look way to good to not have coyote's in them but I FOUND ONLY A SINGLE TRACK. I wanted to check out the bacon creek area while I was up there sunday but didn't get around to it.Jimmie

Jimmie,

I didnt hunt that far last year. I hunted between road 347 back to pleasant hill cem. And down to the lake area around lick creek. That area was full of coyotes last year, But you can never tell.

I had a look last year down that way some didnt see much sign then either. Found some tracks in the bottoms but not much sign, looked good though.

If you look at your map, see were the creek bed runs back up toward Wranglers camp. The lick creek area. Where the creek bed runs back there is a branch off that goes back to road 348, the wrangler trail runs right beside the lake. Thats the area I called the coyote in last year. There are some growed up fields and pine thickits in there. They were staying in there during the day. Also Back in the lick creek bottom there was lots of sign that ran along the ridge back towards the lake. There is a good pocket of woods between there and bacon creek, all of that area held coyotes last year. The bacon creek area is were we got busted. Between roads 346 and 345.

The area behind the camping grounds looks good to...arlt spring....winger hollow.

Pleasant hill cem had lots of sign to. I have several stand sights marked on the map from last year.

kee

Survey map has a group on the point there at 346. ALSO one at 348. Your adding some more pieces to the puzzle for me. I have this theory that they bed according to which way the wind blows.If you could see my scouting map, the survey map, and hear them you would see why I think this.Except for the drainages that have more than one group we may have this pattern figured out.

The winds last year during the hunt were southwest and northwest!!! Jimmie

Are you showing groups at: Pleasant hill cem around 166, Catholic cem area, between lick creek road and bacon creek, also fords bay road 352 at the watering hole. I have sign marked there and heard howling in these area's. There are stand sites marked in my notes.

Also fords cem area I have howling marked but didnt get to hunt it.

kee

Survey shows responses at all of the places you mention except the watering hole on 352. However, the junction of 354,353, and 174 to the south of it do show responses.

I feel like the responses at the catholic cemetary, pleasant hill, and road 346 are all the same group.You got busted out there near 346.

My theory is they are bedding downwind from the most likely human accesses to their territories. You check this yourself and I think you'll get what I'm talking about. They are setting us up for the bust!! Jimmie

When I contacted the LBL last year about the hunt they put me in contact with the chief biologist there. He was kind enough tto send me a map of the population survey done in the winter of 98 and 99 nov through march of those years.Right now I have the only copy available outside of the office that I know of. Although if I remember right KEEKEE and a few other copied it off onto their topos. If my theory continues to prove itself you can bet I will have that copy with me. You will all need it. Jimmie

Jimmie,

What do you mean by "IF"? You had better bring that survey!...hehe. Although if you keep blowing all the shade trees in half there probably will be a mass migration to cooler climates...again, hehe. Nikonut /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

I notice you guys are concentrateing on the east side but did anyone hunt the west side last year???Another ? did you guys mainly use hand calls or e-callers?

has either one of you guys been looking at zone 7 & 8 theres alot of land and few roads in those areas from what i can see.....9 also looks likea decent area... I hope i can be down there thrusday and do alot of scouting but the way its looking i may not be able to get there until friday, if so i plan on doing alot of driveing around an glassing....

Drago, check my first post on page five. I discuss what I found in zone 9 there.

Keekee and I were discussing zone's 8 and 10. Figuring out which drainages have two groups working them is going to take some work and there are several that do.The turkey bay area group I think beds in zone eight at the head of turkey creek, it gets them away from the 4 wheelers.

Last year we threw everything but the kitchen sink at them, e-calls and hand calls. Every sound I know how to make with a mouth call I tried! We made the mistake of hunting the sign we found, and it was everywhere.We didn't take the time to figure out the where to and from.It all looks so good and if you go on what you know about coyote behavior you get your butt kicked but good.

This year we are going to take a smarter aproach to things.There's a diferent set of circumstances driving these dogs. Something that happens nowhere else motivates their behaviors. We talked last year at the hunt about sight see-ers busting setups and just driving the roads.People everywhere during one of the worst weekends weather wise we had last winter. This place is a public day use area. Hikers,cyclist,bird watchers, hunters of all kinds, folks looking for ancestors , you name it. There are a lot of people in and out of there during any day of the week. This goes on year around!!! The coyotes have figured out a way to get around all of this without being bothered.

I haven't used the bunny blues on them yet but they have responded to everything I've used so far this fall during my scouting and hunting. These animals have NOT heard it all yet and it shows in the way they respond to the call.

Ky timberman and I will be checking zones six and seven tommorrow (thursday) afternoon. I intend to know if my theories are right well before the hunt.This ground is as rugged as it gets without being in the mountains and I don't think many hunters have tried this aproach. Jimmie

Man, I don't like the sound of that last sentence, Jimmie. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif I did lose 4-5 pounds last week, though, and am gonna keep starving myself so I can keep up with you when the time comes. I'd hate to get left behind and be eaten by the yotes. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Jimmie,

I didnt copy much of the serv map you had. I wished I had though. I did talk with a bio man down there last year that helped us out some. Zone 8 has some big woods, not mant roads, what are you showing back towards dixon cem?

Drago,

I spent just about all my time in zone 8 and zone 10 last year. That area had lots of sign and with help from last years notes and what jimmie had found I hope to be able to put the pieces of zone 8-10 togeather, But I wouldnt count on it. I did spend a little time in zone 9 last year also. I have been looking at the area right behind Wranglers camp ground. The Wienger hollow area around neeble cem. That area look good to. The Gordon Hollow area had good sign as well.

He made a stop right on bacon creek in the hollow and shows responses on the lake access point and another up the hollow due north of pleasant hill cemetary.

Hey Kf, caddylowrider says you can fall behind and feed the coyotes anytime as long as you bring that 788 carbine like dads. It seems he's become quite fond of mine :rolleyes: Jimmie

Caddylowrider? Would that be Jack? If so, where the heck did he come up with a monicker like that? :rolleyes: He still hasn't killed one yet, has he? I'd be happy to let him use my gun, but I already know he has one of his own and that he's plenty proficient with it.

So, is ol' Jack a killer or is he gonna be a lover? If he left me behind, would he have enough moxie to come back and hunt over my carcass? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Back