2nd Annual LBL hunt

Did someone say they're definitely bringing a laptop computer this year? If so, I have a set of DeLorme 3-D TopoQuad software that covers the LBL. It should install OK on most any laptop, would be fun to play with and is actually pretty danged useful. When you zero in on an area and then have the software pop it out in 3-D, you can see the ridges, draws and drainages plain as day. It's also a great help in teaching a beginner how to read a topo map, because you can look at a location in 2-D with the topo intervals and then pop that same area out in 3-D to see how well you've read the topo lines.

If someone IS bringing a laptop, drop me a note at KyFishrman@aol.com (note that there's no "e") and maybe we can coordinate a little.

I'm experimenting by sending some 3-D JPEGs to Jimmie. If he gets them and thinks they're helpful, I can generate similar maps for others. All I'd need are the GPS coordinates or a real good description based on the LBL North topo map.

i don't know about the rest of you but I ain't sure I want these two playing with a puter and fancy shmancy topo's. Kf IS JUST LIABLE TO CALL IN AN AIR STRIKE :eek: :eek: Jimmie /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Got some preplanned targets plotted, KeeKee. Whaddya think?

Mammoth3D.jpg

hey guys, I haven't been following all the posts about the LBL hunt due to I didn't think I would be able to attend due to work. But, thank the heavens, I believe I'll be able to come. So, my question is what is the actual dates. I know its sometime in early Feb. But can't remember the specifics.

It will be the 6,7 and 8th of febuary. Did some scouting in tenn. today with Plumbrich and his son. Those areas looked a lot better than some others I spent the afternoon looking at. Found a single track all afternoon.All kinds of deer if anyone is still hunting them. Jimmie

CF, I've got the mapping software and KeeKee said he's bringing his laptop. Since 1 plus 1 equals 2, you'd think the software plus the computer would mean we'll be in business. But if you've ever installed software, you know it usually doesn't work that way. We'll just have to see. In the meantime, if you have any specific spots you've scouted and you'd like me to generate a map of the area similar to the one I posted, all you need to do is give me GPS coordinates or a really good description so I can find it on the map.

If the software loads on KeeKees 'puter, we'll be able to view 3-D maps of anything in the Kentucky portion of the LBL. The software I bought only covers the state of Ky and maybe a few miles into Tennessee, so I'm afraid the guys hunting south of the border won't get much help from it.

Where it could really shine is if we have several guys with GPS units. If they punch in a waypoint every time they sight or kill a yote, we can plot those on this software and maybe get some clues. Of course we should be able to learn the same thing just by asking questions and listening real good, but sometimes plotting things on a map helps you think it out.

Hey KeeKee, what version of Windows does your machine use? I'm assuming (never safe) that it has a CD drive, cause that's what this software is on.

Kyfisherman,
I'll have my laptop along too, and have the same Delorme Topo USA program. In order to run that on another computer, you have to have the data disc in the CD-R drive, and it won't run without it.

Hey, KyTimberman. Great to find someone else using the DeLorme software. Maybe you can show me a thing or three about it. I learn something just about every time I fire it up.

As for that data disk, you're exactly right. But I did find out that I can copy those CDs on my CD/DVD burner. So I duped the installation disk and the one for Ky Region 1, which includes the LBL.

The main problem I'm having with my setup is trying to figure out how to upload/download from my Garmin 76 GPS. I can plot a route on the TopoQuads and then download it to the GPS, but I'm not having much luck going the other way. I'm sure it's something minor, but if you don't dot every I and cross every T, those things just don't work. Have you played around with a GPS and TopoQuads much?

KY Fisherman,

Im good to go! Drop the bomb, call in the air strike!!!! LOL

Im running windows xp. And Its good to go with a cd drive or floppy.

Thats some good looken maps. Can you pull up zone 8-9? I will print it off if you can. Or e-mail it to me. Thats the areas I hunted last year and will probly spend a lot of my time in there this year.

We should be good to go with the lap top and soft wear! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Jimmie....Did you hunt this weekend?

Kee

Good to go too! I'm also running XP. Have DVD-CD drive, no floppy. I'll be working with Critr to make any additional name badges we might need. Also digital photos of all the fur!

I have Delorme mapping so if anyone needs a route home we can map it out. SeeYa there, Nikonut /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

KYF, I use the Delorme program with my GPS 12XL all the time. I may live in BFK but I'm still a high tech red neck;-) In order to download to your computer from the GPS the GPS has to be in Garmin/Garmin mode, go to your setup menu and then Interface and see what it's set on. That could be it, if not I'll take a look at it when I see ya at LBL. The 76 is supposed to be a good one.

Hey, y'all talkin' AIRSTRIKES, why didn't I think of this before, Jimmy- my son is a crew chief on an A-10 (Warthog) with the USAF down on the gulf coast, maybe I can use my connections there...call in the GPS coords and order up a couple of seconds burst of them depleted uranium .30 cal, whoo boy, Jimmy, wouldn't THAT tear up some trees. Almost as much as you and that 12 ga...

Crew chief on a Warthog, OOORAH! Back when I was active in the Army Reserve we used to train at Fort Knox and frequently there would be A-10s there doing some kind of training as well. What always amazed me was that with all those hills and ridges, 9 times out of 10 you'd never hear a Warthog until he was right on top of you, and I'm not talking buttoned up in a tank, I'm talking standing out with uncovered ears. Those suckers are designed to fly low-n-slow and pack a whale of a punch. Definitely a superior ground support aircraft.

Maybe if we can't get close air support that weekend, we could get your son to send the brown truck to Jimmie's house with one of those A-10 gatling guns. He could sling that puppy and use it like Arnold did in "Predator." Maybe they'd let him keep it long enough to use against JetSkis during the spring crappie run. Danged JetSkis are thicker than mosquitoes on Kentucky and Barkley Lakes.

Glad to hear we'll have several laptops and guys who already have the DeLorme software. I'll burn a few extra CDs in case one of the computer jockeys doesn't have the disk covering the LBL. Sounds like we'll have a printer there, too. Now if the LBL folks would just let me bring my nice kerosene heater.

Hey KF,

The last time we came back through there from Georgia the wife said "We should come down here to the LBL with the Seadoo's and camp and swim."

Now...when is that crappie run? HeHe! SeeYa'll soon. Nikonut /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Back