2nd Annual LBL hunt

Sorry to here you cant make it Chet, /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif we will miss ya this year!! We will think about you though, Well we will try! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif LOL! No, we will! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif Wish you could be there.

Critr you coming this year???

Hey guys..what about hunting the Peabody area? It has alot more open areas and best of all you can shoot fox, bobcat or coyotes.

At LBL you can't shoot a fox or bobcat with a centerfire correct?

I did some coyote hunting there this last week. We saw lots and lots of coyote sign. After dark the coyotes were all around us howling.

We also saw lots of bobcat tracks but never saw one during the day.

The peabody area is located a little farther north and east of the LBL. It is entirely in the state of Ky.This makes the price for out of state tags higher for those coming from elsewhere. The hunt would have to be made in December or January for all those critters to be legal.December is too short a notice with the holidays and all coming up. Lodging would have to be done in local motels and hotels.

The Lbl is larger and hunters from both Ky and Tenn. can hunt in thier home states with only an LBL hunters permit. All hunters would have a choice of whichever state they wish too hunt and bobcat would be legal at the chosen time in Tenn.The hunt can be moved to an earlier date in January and have all species legal unless Ky closes the bobcat season early this year, but there would be firearms restrictions that limit us too shotgun or rimfire.A cabin can be rennted for a headquarters there in the LBL for the weekend without having to locate a restaraunt or lodge elswhere.The coyote population is definately higher within the LBL than the peabody.Cabins are very reasonably priced for those wishing to stay in the LBL at Wranglers. Camping areas are available for those that would just as soon rough it. Jimmie

LBL really has a coyote population higher than Peabody? I was amazed at how much coyote sign we saw. We hunted the Vogue area and it was covered with coyote sign and droppings. We saw tracks from large coyote and small pups.

Last year at LBL we just didn't see that much sign. I'm not as experienced as you guys at this predator hunting so I could have been looking in the wrong spots at LBL.

Anyone interested in doing a weekend at Peabody in addition to the weekend at LBL? If we could decide on a date I'd splurge for the cabin for the weekend.

I'm looking to get some pointers from you guys and maybe going out on a few stands with a more experienced coyote hunter. I've seen coyote and I can get them to answer me back with a howler but can't seem to get them out of the woods.

As long as you have a non resident lic all you will need is a LBL permit. You can pick then up at any of the sporting good stores and some of the gas stations when you get down to the LBL area.

I don't know about Peabody but I can personally verify LBL has a large coyote population.. The thing is most... if not all of them are well educated! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif Smartest coyotes anywhere. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif If you want a challenge hunt LBL. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Go get 'em!

Jimmie in KY,

Can you please shoot me your e-mail address? I want to ask you some questions and get some advice from you.

My e-mail address is in my profile.

Thanks,

i just checked into it and its what i thought and as Keekee said all i need is the LBL permit...

And finaly i might be able to meet up with Keekee

I will be there Drago. Unless something drastic happens.

I will also agree that the LBL has a very high count on the coyotes but they are very educated!! And will test the very best callers and hunters. Thats what makes it fun!!!!

Are the LBL coyote's more educated than elsewhere or is the type of terrain and other land features something we don't understand?

My first stand last year on sunday morning is very memorable. I followed a hot set of fresh tracks a half mile into a hollow. We set up on a point near a brushy area where the tracks dissapeared.After the set and no takers I lit a ciggarette and stuck my arm straight out to the right toward the next hollow which was mere feet away.Where my face and body were the wind was in my face. Where my hand was the wind was blowing into the hollow we were trying to work. Now what do you think happened to the setup?

As for numbers. The LBL is land locked and the animals are protected all but four months of the year. People who have been hunting the area for deer tell me they have never seen or heard so many as they have this year. In fact one fellow walking back to his truck shot at one twice with a bow and almost got off a thrid shot before the coyote left for parts unknown.Another thing that makes this hunter think the population is higher this year is he's actually seen them chasing squirrels on a regular basis, a behavior he has seen only rarely in years past.Coyotes are being seen well up into the morning and early afternoon crossing the major roads in the area, an unusual habit.

I seriously believe the lack of knowledge about such terrain is what kicked our butt last year. We just have to learn to work it. Jimmie

The area I hunt here in Ohio is kind of like what we hunted down to the LBL last year. I hunt strip mines here and the wind is the same way. It will be hiting you in the face were your set up and you can move five feet and it will be hiting you in the side of the head. All you can do is learn the area the best you can and change your set up to allow for the wind the best you can. It gets flustrating at times but that seems to be were the best hunting is. And seems like the lower you get in the hollows the more wind troubles you have. Here the ridges are higher than down at the LBL so that helps out alot. Were the hills just seem to roll down there it makes a diffrence. The lake effect there makes a diffrence with the wind to. It was fun hunting there and there are alot of coyotes in the LBL. Its had been along time since I had seen as much sign as I did down there. There was fresh snow when we got there and that helped out alot. Fresh tracks and sign were easy to see. I still have my map marked out and my notes from last year so Im ready to give it another shot!

I talked with a couple of friends of mine today, they just got back from over there deer hunting last Friday. Jason to me they seen coyotes everywhere they turned. He thought there were more this year than ever before and he has been hunting out there every year for a long time. I can't wait.

Ronnie

Something to think about, by February almost every coyote on LBL has survived by becoming smart to humans. Last year, I learned a couple of things….
(1) A day and a half is not enough time to learn the coyotes of LBL. Some of the property I hunt here on Watts Bar Reservoir is almost like LBL but the same methods I have used successfully here simply did not seem to work in LBL.
(2) Being public land, LBL gets lots of traffic year round… on the roads and in the woods. When we were getting our permits, the lady at Golden Pond told of a bow hunt only days before our get together, not good. When calling, we tried to get as far away from the main roads as possible but with accesses roads almost everywhere we still had an assortment of drive by traffic. That’s just part of hunting public property we can‘t avoid.

May I make a suggestion… since I’m not going to be able to hunt this year, my meager observations from last year may help someone. Popping coyotes at LBL can be done, that has been proven. Coyote sign in the sections we hunted was abundant. Looking back, I gave my best effort last year but having little experience hunting on public land I would do it a little differently next time. Still our little army of four got close once or twice. On our first stand, Bopeye and I saw two crossing a ridge about 400 yards away, as they headed for thick cover. This was moments after a guy drove down the road with a howler tape blasting from his stereo. On another stand, as we entered a large field, again close to a road, coyotes started barking at the other end of the field…busted again! To gain entry we had to park on the main roads and walk in or drive down the access roads to find a likely spot. With limited parking areas, I’ll bet almost every hunter there must park in the same areas and do the same thing. See a pattern here? Those coyotes may have become quite wise to this. I told Bopeye last year we should have rented a boat. When I hunt there again, I’ll concentrate more on areas far away from roads, closer to the lake. Driving in as far as possible, park and walk the shore line, calling the hollows coming down towards the lake. If anyone did this last year let me know, if anyone decides to give it a try this year….. good luck!

CH1 me keekee and biggun made a couple stands near the lake last year with no luck....every one we had come in was with in 1-200 yards of the road granted it was only 2 and they all busted us who knows those things are just smart down there

We made several stands around the lake last year I went back threw my notes and there were several stands around the lake at the mouth of the hollows. The wind was realy changing down near the lake. One coyote that came in was a good distance from the road it was in the back of a growed up field next to a dried up creek bed, it got down wind of us before anyone could get a shot off. the other was right next to a accesses road. I think I agree with ch1. Im going to get as far from the main road as I can. I have been going over some of my maps and areas that I had found lots of sign in are the areas that I think I will hunt, only im going to try to get back away from the roads and into some of the thick brush. One coyote that came in last year came out of a thicket and crossed an open area (at a trot) and didnt stop till he reached thick cover. Then took a look in my derection and started moving to get down wind.
I have several notes on the area around the lake and there was alot of sign. But I had high lighted the wind changes. I think Ch1 is on to something, I was thinking on the same lines. Staying off the roads and not calling from the areas that would be easy accesses. Put on your walking boots boys there could be some all day hikes in store for us this year. I think I will call from some heavy cover this year also.

Back