Night problems...

We hunted the other night and had oppertunities at 3 yotes and a fox. The fox came into 40 yards before I saw him and when I dinged him with the light. He hauled tail before I could get my gun up. The coyotes all seemed to come in down wind and hang up at 150 yards.
My question is how do you guys set your caller up vs. where you are sitting to get the best use out of your light and have the best view of the field around you. Maybe its just Murphy's law for me but they always seem to come in opposite of where I think they should.
Also I have a nite lite wheat light with a spotlight sidearm. I noticed that they do not get as nervous around the wheat light as they do when I hit them with the spot light. So the question is do you guys use your spotlight or wheat light more and if it is the spot how do you hold the light on the critter.
The other night, My partner was sitting right next to me trying to find him in the scope and couldn't see him until I held the beam right on him. Ofcourse he buggered when I did that.
Thanks!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ooo.gif

I use a red lens lightforce to scan constantly, our set ups are realy dependent on the terrain. Somtimes have the caller right beside me or I use handcalls and somtimes I place the caller about 75 to 100 yards up wind so I can catch them circleing.

It sounds like you have answered your own questions.

"The coyotes all seemed to come in down wind and hang up at 150 yards." You just need to adjust your setups to they can't, a partner downwind will help too. I always check the wind before I go out and then plan on what stands for that night. Even doing that, I'll still get busted, easier said than done.

"but they always seem to come in opposite of where I think they should" Yep, I think we can all relate. Just remember you are hunting intelligent hunters and they will do everything they can do to come in unexpected.

"I noticed that they do not get as nervous around the wheat light as they do when I hit them with the spot light." Always use just enough light to catch their eyes coming in. A wheat light works for me, others will use a larger light dimmed down. When you flip on the big light or crank it up, get ready for the shot, they won't hang around long.

"My partner was sitting right next to me trying to find him in the scope and couldn't see him until I held the beam right on him." I have had this happen as well if a partner didn't have a light. Unless your sitting directly behind the light, many times you can't see the eyes. I took a new guy out one night and he never saw one set of eyes, even though he sat right next to me. I finally realized what was going on and that it wasn't his fault.

I find that each time out, I learn something new. It's what keeps it fun and interesting for me.

Back