Jan. moon calling reports:MN

Thanks for the posting the pic's Phil...

Me and my cuzin maid 5 sets on 1-23-08?? not sure if the date is right im a little be hind on storys /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smiliesmack.gif...

First 3 sets nothing...

Set:4 Heard some off in the distance..

Set:5 So we are driving by one of our feilds I look over and say to Greg there is one /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif KEEP DRIVEING DONT STOP till we get down the road..
So we turn around and drive by again it is gone /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif thinking its heading South I told Greg..I did not know but if I had a guess I thought it was a coyote..
Anyways we can hunt the other side I said were this thing is heading to drive fast we can call him or her in the the other side of the woods..
So we get there get and get out to the feild/tree line..
We get the guns up and start looking though our scopes and dont see this think anywere /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif..
So I said to Greg you sit on the East side of the wood line/Down wind side..I was thinking on this one hehehe /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif so I put the FoxPro just over the hill top thinking if somthing comes it going to run along the hill side to get its best look at the noise is and to see what it is hunting..We both have the same little hill side/ridge... I was thinking this thing is going to come on the down wind side like they do and that is were he went in or heading anyways..
Ok crunch time: I gong to turn the FoxPro with a new sound to that spot that I never tryed before thinking new sounds are a good thing /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Last edited:
Sounds like everyone is having some luck!!!

I am a little behind. My brother and I made four sets on Wed. night 1/23. First three were dry. About 17-19 below out there all night.
Set number 4 I start out with distress sound. Go through several sets of that. At about 35 minutes, do a couple of female invitations on the FoxPro then go to a group howl. We have what sounds like three or four light-up behind us about 1/2 mile away. After they finish, I give a few challenge howls on my hand call. A few minutes later I hear my brother fire once. He had two come in and bust him from behind. When he turned he left his shooting sticks and shot free-hand at about a hundred yards. Clean miss.

Did two sets tonight, 1/25 with my brother, LeRoy, again. With the cloud cover, it was not ideal.

1st set-I have a fox come in from my right. I did not see it til it was about 75 yards out. I try to turn when he is at about 40 yards and Mr. Fox busts me. He off back the way he came. I finally find him at over 300 yards and try a shot. Missed.

2nd set I take the shot gun instead of the 22-250 due to poor light. We have a coyote coming in and he sees something he does not like. He bugs out before LeRoy could get the cross hairs on him. He reaches the wood line and proceeds to let us know the gig is up. Warning bark for a couple minutes and we pack it up.

Wish the clouds had broken up so we could see better. Called it a night.

Good luck, -Ron

Had a pretty good night, And yeah, This was the cloud cover from h-e-l-l. It was dim but still huntable.

Took pop's and his budy out tonight. 1st set we get out of the truck and hear one howling from about 3/4 of a mile away. I decide to pack it back up and head to grandpa's cause the wind is perfect to call that yote in from the corner of his woods. Before we get back in the truck another yote answers it from the woods we were about to call /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smiliesmack.gif The reason I used this> /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smiliesmack.giflittle emoticon is cause the 2nd yote was howling about 100yds from where I was planning on sitting. If he would'nt have been right on the edge we coulda snuck in and had him at our feet within minutes I'm sure. So we go to grandpa's... Call in nothing and here nothing.

2nd set heard some far away.

3rd and 5th set nothing.

4th set /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif
Just get out of the truck and begin to walk out. I'm scanning everything like I always do while on the way out. It pays off again. I see a yote step out of a tree line. I drop the bi-pod and lay prone. The Ken's (Both their names are Ken) just stop in their tracks. The yote is broad side and stopped, probly looking at us. It's head looks funny. I hesitate for a second and touch it off. BANG-nothing. I see the yote take off. It hangs a youey to go back to the tree line but it disapears before it gets there. Shot felt good but none of us heard the bullet slap /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused1.gif. We walk down there and I see a figure in the snow. Scope it. I got it! Keep walking. See another figure in the snow. One that looks much more like a dead coyote. OK now I'm confused but am glad I scored a kill for the night. Turns out the yote had an owl in it's mouth and dropped it at the point of impact. Thats right. I said owl. Was one ugly dog and not picture worthy. This one didn't even make it to the truck. It was in bad shape. Mange. I'm always slightly offended when people post pics of mangey critters. So I did'nt take any. Kinda disgusting.

I'm gonna go back later today to laser range the yardage. If anyone -realy- wants to see the yote that bad I'll snap a pic. of the yote and the owl.

Last edited:
Quote:
Hey Tim the yote on the left looks a little over weight.It looks very round or is it just the picture?

It's the coyote. I havn't put it up yet but I willing to bet he has a belly full of pig meat. I shot him not too far from a pig farm that has a dead pile about 10'x10'. He's the second heavist I've shot this year.

Went out last night. Didn't get out until after 11pm. It was cloudy and foggy but I figured I better go.

1ST- Heard howling off a ways and decided to move to another farm kitty-corner from where I was. Get over there and set up. Start calling with a hand call and one just about runs me over. He gets down wind of me and hits the afterburners but not before I get the Benelli on him and sent a load of DeadCoyote Hevi-shot at him. I hit him across the back and the rump at about 25 yards and crumple him. I walk out to get him and another jumps up out of a CRP firld and runs down the edge. Of course I only have the shotgun, the rifle is back on the ground 25 yds from me. I watch him run away. Drag out the one. Heavy male that weighed just over 35#.

3RD- Long walk in. I get to a hill overlooking a large barren field and set-up. Call on and off for over 20 minutes before I see one running away from me across the field. He's over 300 yds and really moving but I let one fly and miss. Turns out he came in behind me. Walked within 15 yards of the truck and came all the way in down-wind of me. Wish I would have had someone watching the backdoor.

4TH-5TH sets- Heard howling on both but they never materialized. End up waking the neighbor's dog and the neighbor by howling. He come out the front door yells at the dog and goes back in. Several times. Finally I hear him screaming at the dog and BOOM, lets loose with a shotgun. Must have thought I was really a coyote and tried to scare me off. It worked. I had been there over 30 minutes and it was time to leave.

Could barely see anything so I decide to head home. Get about 1/2 way home and a fox runs across the road and stops in the ditch, Phil same field we saw the fox in before Bobcat hunting, I take a right and stop the truck. Get out and walk slowly to the back. Get out the gun and lay prone on the edge of the field just waiting. Here he comes down the edge. I wait until he's abotu 40 yards upwind of me and stop him. BANG-SLAP. Totally diembowled him. I brought him home but if I can save the hide it will take a lot of sewing.

Picture_802.jpg

Just got the camera from the wife and took this pic of the coyote. The fox was not acceptable to put on here.

This is probably the last night of hunting during this moon for me. I could barely see anything. Guess it's back to the shotgun and a the LightForce. I wish we could use rifles with lights. I'm just glad we have the option of lights at all.

Time to get some sleep and then off to the Winter Carnival.

Tim

Last edited:
I went out at 3am this morning. Called 3 spots and no takers. Seen a few freash tracks crossing the roads. There was a coating of snow here last nite those tracks could not of been very old.

Got up this morning at 3:30 hoping to get out with the moon overhead. Looked outside and saw it was cloudy and decided to wait until daylight. Drank a pot of coffee and watched infomercials on our one channel. Couldn't take it anymore and went out about 6:30 and got set up an waited for shooting light. I just started predator hunting a week ago and had no luck on my first 3 sets last weekend using mouth calls so this time I borrowed a buddy's Preymaster. Started this morning with rabbit distress a few times and followed with coy/wolf howls. Nothing. Decided to go ahead and try the howler I bought from Bearmanric. Did my best to do a female invitation howl per TT's instructions. Much to my amazement what sounded to be a male answered me (howled)not once but twice from the tamarac swamp about 200 yards up wind! Howled again, nothing. Waited maybe 2 minutes and tried rabbit distress again and nothing. Waited another 15 minutes and called it quits. Made another set about 1/4 away on the other end of the swamp but nothing. Still it was really exciting to get a response from my calling for the first time.

Last night was unbelievable. Two kids shot their first coyotes and we set a new high with 5 coyotes in a night. Last week I stopped to get permission from a farmer and after talking to him he asked if I would take his 16 year old son Jake out who had never shot a coyote and he would let us hunt on over 1000 acres of farms he rents so a plan was made for my son Mitchell and myself to pick up him up at midnight last night.
1ST set. We stop at a vacant farm he rents and just start calling when a car pulls into the driveway and hits the spotlight. A neibor called the sheriff,thought we were looting the place,no harm,I'd hope a neibor would watch my place if I was gone. We picked up and left for another of his spots.

2ND set. Mitchell and Jake set up together overlooking the lone howler and the foxpro and I went further downwind overlooking a large bean field. Start with rabbitt,2 min. break,Int. howl and the woods light up. 2 sets on our side of the road and 2 on the other. Switch from Int. to Female invitation a few times then silence. I look left and see three coming right at me,I let them come hoping they'll swing to the kids but they head at me I shoot the first one at 60 yards and he takes off and then kiyi to stop another at 250 and drop that one. Found the first after 80 yard jaunt. First double.

3RD set. Went to one of our spots and set the boys up with shotguns watching a tree line and I'm over a cow pasture with buildings. Start with rabbitt, pause 2 min. start howls and 3 groups lit up. One set is 300 yards sw of me. For the next 40 min I play with this group howling back and forth trying everything I can,and watching them run back and forth chasing each other down wind of me. Finally I switch to pup distress and practically get run over. First comes in and runs right by, two more come in and I'm on the bigger one, thats not a coyote ,it's a dog! so I get on the other one and drop it. The dog runs back home.

4TH set, Go to one of ours, Mitchell is using my 17 REM with lighted reticle and Jake is using Mitchells 223 with lit reticle, I've got shotgun duty. Call for 30 min with no answers,I get up walk to the caller pick it and the decoy up and a pack lights up 200 yards south of me. Set the decoy,run back to the set with the caller and get set,call for 20 minutes with no takers,must have seen me, so Mitch and I stand up and I look back across the field and there she is, stareing right at us. We freeze and she heads west toward Jake,boom, and she runs 150 yards with a shot right behind the shoulder. His first coyote.
IMG_0188.jpg

5TH set, Head to another of ours. Set up on a septic mound,Mitchell is by me with my gun agian and Jake is 15 yards to my right with Mitchells. I'm gunless as I want Mitchell to get one bad. Call for 35 minutes,no answers. Put remote away and look up and theres two standing 100 yards from us. I tell Mitchell to look to the left and he gets into position and I lip squeek to get Jake to look to the left. Mitchell shoots and drops one, his first ever, and the other takes off and Jake fires a shot and doesn't connect. Mitchell's finds an 18 inch culvert and it takes us another 30 minutes to get it out.
IMG_0190.jpg

We get back to Jakes house at 8 AM and after telling his dad our stories he takes Mitchell and I around for the next 3 hours showing us more properties and asking permission for us with all his local buddies, what a guy. Heading to bed, gonna give er a whirl agian tonight. Thanks for reading.

IMG_0193.jpg

Ya know Tim thats my worst fear anytime I'm calling in view of any house. I'm always thinking in the back of my head.... What if joe blow rips a 30-06 outa the closet and thinks he's about to be the new town hero just before he pulls the trigger on that strange movment in his scope just after hearing some "coyotes" howl.

It's funny. Some Coyote callers dont understand coyotes at all and are affraid they might call in a "pack and compromise their own saftey. I'm more affraid of getting shot by some idiot person. Thats my #1 fear when calling coyotes.

Rob424- Great story and pics. Nice job getting two kids thier first coyotes.

Phil-
I was shot at during a daytime spot and stalk a few years ago. I was about 400yds off the road and crawling toward a bedded coyote. I was wearing Carhart jeans and a jacket. Some Yahoo pulls up next to my truck so I turn around to watch him only to see him get out with a rifle and shoot. The round went over my head. I jumped up and scream "What the F***!!!!!" He hightailed it to his truck and sped off. I thought about running back to the truck and chasing him but I'm sure no good would have come of a confrontation between me and him and the coyote was still bedded down so I resumed the stalk and added a nice coyote to the day. I'm not sure if he was shooting at me thinking I was game or was shooting at the coyote (which was almost 1000yds) and I was between him and the coyote.

On a better note. Saw a double and then a single coyote out in a couple fields on the way home from the Winter Carnival. I'll be out tomorrow asking permission and then get after killing them.

By the way Phil, I dream about packs of coyotes charging in and trying to compromise my safety. Both Shorty and my Bushmaster would have a thing or two to say about that.

Tim

Rob424- What area of WI are you calling? I'm just south of Hwy 70 on the MN side. I've called a few across the ice from WI and they ended up at a MN Furbuyer.

Tim

Quote:
Phil,I notice on all your pictures.... Looks like you got a nasty scratch on your chin. Run into a tree in the dark?????

Heeeey. It took me 28 years to earn that scratch /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif. I knew if I kept puting horse radish on my hot dogs I'd eventually grow hair somwhere /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

I was wondering if you were going to let that slide.

Sorry, that wasn't nice but I just couldn't help it! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Me and Greg did 3 sets lastnight.

Set#1 Had some howl about 1 mile away then some more started about 2 miles away and one male all by his self about 1+ miles away..I tryed everthing.. The thing that set them off was the howls I let out..I did not get one but man was it nice to here all of them howling all over heck /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif...

So we leave that spot get about 8+ miles down the road and there goes a coyote right across the road about 1 block out of town AWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused1.gif!!! I drove by this yote 3 times it was only 30 to 50 yards off the road AWWWWWWWWWWW /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused1.gif!!! Well all I can say is that the cops park there cars about a half of block from were the yote was DANGITTTTTT /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif!!!!

NOPE the fun dont stop there get about 5 miles from there just cruisen down the road looking out in the feilds..
OOOO -HIT /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked.gif!!!!!!!!!!!!!! DEER!!!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked.gif Hit the brakes hard 5 deer on my right 2 on my left sure as -HIT "SLAP" got one first deer I ever hit thank god....Well it was like this could not turn right could not turn left could not stop road were a little snowy so I went down the middle and got one OOOPPSSS /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smiliesmack.gif!!
DAM them DAM them all /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/angry-smiley-055.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/angry-smiley-055.gif...
Did not hurt my big truck one bit nothing at all just dusted off my bumper and some plastic for me thanks for my big tires and my little frame lift..Thanks for dusting my truck off deer bet you it wont do that again /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Set:2 Heard more but again no takers /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif..And again I heard more then one pack howling it was sweet to listen to them talk all over /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif..

On our way to set 3 seen a Fox crossing the road heading in the big corn feild slowed way down to check it out get a great look at him or her and sure as -HIT here come a cop coming right at us /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/angry-smiley-055.gif..So I start driving away the cop slows way down and the Fox takes off like a rocket..DAMIT AGAIN /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/angry-smiley-055.gif!!

Set:3 Same as set 1&2 lots of howling but no takers /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/angry-smiley-055.gif...

DTOM,we have permission on the Minnesota side from Scandia north to North Branch and Wisconsin from Hudson north to Danbury. Sister in law has property just north of 70 near Pine City and has been asking us to come up for a while now but haven't made the time to knock on the doors to get more permission, maybe next year.

Attended a going away party last night for a budy who's going to Iraq. Was bright as hhell last night on the way home at 3am. I hope Todd gets on here to post his story of last nights hunt. I'm hunting tonight. Will be the last night of enough moon to see.

Well looks like everyone has had some good luck hunting this month. Unfortunately I was in Las Vegas from tue-thur, so I missed out on some action I'm sure. Harker and I got out friday and saturday night. Fri we saw a yote in an open field on our way out to our first spot, couldn't get on him. While on our walk out to our first spot Harker whispered to me that we had incoming to our left, so we knelt down and I told Harker to lay down and get ready. There was two yotes making there way towards us, they were making it downwind of us in a hurry, so I stopped them around 200yds. Bang-nothing. They made it into the cover and began warning barking at us on our way out. They won! That was it for Fri. Sat the wind was switching directions on us it seemed like every set, so this made it difficult. We walked out to an area I just got permission for, the wind was right at SW. Started with a lonesome howl, waited 5 min, then hit with estrous chirps. Now the wind shifted to NE. So I after 5 min I was gong to call it, so I thought I better look behind me to see if there was something coming where we didn't expect it, sure as $%^@, he stood at about 100yds. Let him come to 80yds Bang--Slap!! Nice looking male he should get good dollar.
todd027.jpg

Great point Phil! I always try to let the landowner know in advance i will be out making funny noises in the dark on their property so that nobody sends rounds my direction. That is easier for me since I only have 7 or 8 private properties i can hunt on. Can't control what someone does on a neighboring property though. I also stop calling if a vehicle drives by so nobody gets any dumb ideas from the road.

I guess I'm gonna pass on hunting tonight. What a great moon hunt though. We got 12 animals in 11 straight nights of hunting. I've also never seen any of the monthly moon calling reports reach 9 pages long. There's some great reading in those 9 pages. Just about everyone had a good story to tell about a good hunt or three. I'm thankfull the moon fell on a stretch of subzero temps that had the animals on the move and lookin for food.

The highlight for me was 4 predators killed in one night.

Back