Decoys Pros/Cons

The police are using decoys on Minneapolis streets- seems to work for them..... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif...I have used one before- homemade paper mache red fox- worked pretty good till it got wet one day.

I'm not sure I'm totaly sold on the decoy thing. In the video's I've watched and even on hunts I've used decoy's on,,,,The coyotes always seem to figure out that it's fake. They still circle down wind, or will stop in their tracks and stand there till they realize it's fake and turn around and leave. Same as a hunt without the decoy, If you move too fast or are too loud they're gonna pick you off, decoy or no decoy.
I dont use a decoy cause I have enough to carry and I dont carry anything but the gun.

The small motion decoys are the cat's meow for getting those critters into shotgun range on a full moon night. I've used a full size fox decoy for coyotes and have had mixed results.

I used a wiener dog quite a bit a few years ago. That seemed to work the best.

Last edited:
Ive used the fawn decoy by flambeau , in conjunction with foxpro fawn calls many times. Absolutely love it! I've had multiples running over each other to get there first. It even has teeth marks on it. Its hilarious to see the look on their face when they get there and it doesnt run or when they taste it. It is extremely difficult to have the crosshair on one and then wait to see what happens when it gets to the decoy. It works regardless of the time of year. I just received my second one from allpredatorcalls today, the old one is a little ragged, the new one will get broke in tomorrow!

Thanks for your thought on this.I would think with the mating (using a lifesize yote) season it would work pretty good. I might have to give it a try.Like Phil said extra equipment,but then again it can't hurt to try. So far nothings worked! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused1.gif

I have had coyotes walk past my motion decoy (3ft)and not even take a look. They acted as if it wasn't even there. I use the decoy occasionally, but have yet to have a good response to it.

KH

I'm going to use my 8 week old catahoula/lab mix as soon as I get my rifle together /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Quote:
will stop in their tracks and stand there till they realize it's fake

That's exactly why I use one and that's the instant I send a little missile their direction. I use a predator extreme decoy that is light weight & uses one AA battery. The only negative thing about it is the cheap little wooden stake that comes with it. I built a little concrete base for mine to use on frozen ground. I don't leave home without mine...

Like Turkey hunting decoys can work both ways.. It may cause them to hang-up out of range and try to figure out what the heck it is, or it can confirm that there is an actual prey animal there or competitor.
I will sometimes use a stuffed dog-bear thing hanging from a branch with a string for movement.. Not sure if it helps or hurts much, but at least it's easy to bring along and i don't care if i lose it /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif
coyote-decoy-05.jpg

I bought a decoy two years ago, used it a bunch and saw no higher response rate. It may help distract the coyote but seems to distract the hunter too. If you are hand calling it requires more steps to place it and if you are e calling it is another thing to carry around. I have found that sticking to the basics and doing them well produces the most dead yotes.

I've been thinking of using my neighbors cat. I figure if I tie it to a stake in the field and send out cat-in-distress calls (if the cat isn't already doing it) it should be relatively effective. I would probably wait and see what the coyote would do to it to evaluate the effectiveness before I shoot. I will file a report as soon as I can catch the darn thing.

Fast Ed

Back