bobcat bait???

Get a feather for a attractor. I dip my feather is Perrrrfect lure. Hang in front of trap.

IMG_0121.jpg

I then will take some feathers and spread them around in front/ inside of cage.

IMG_0122.jpg

Then I will hang a decoy, squirrel, rabbit in back of cage. If all goes well this is what is there in the morning.

DSC01123.jpg

Check your state laws before you put feathers or part of a animal out for bait.

Quote:
nboost,
Do you stake your cage traps down??

No and I never had one turned over. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

the only animals i'v had turn traps over were coons; if that was my target i'd but a re-rod down thru one of the back corners of the trap or brace it from the sides.

I've never had anything turn over a box trap but I can see how they might. I like to use duck carcasses or pheasant carcasses. Hang them upside down and wire to the inside back of the trap.

well i did a stupid last night, caught a skunk so i used a stick to hold the cage door open, guess what, i got the skunk out without getting sprayed /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ooo.gif, reset the trap, came back today, bait gone, door half closed, stick still there doing what i had it in there for /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smiliesmack.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smiliesmack.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smiliesmack.gif, holding the door open far enough for whatever was in there to get back out /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif , good tip on the feather, my action has picked up a ton since i started doing that. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif

I just started trapping this year but the first day I set it I used tuna as bait and had a little bobcat in there the next day.The second one I caught off of a dead rabbit.I have been using rabbits lately but the only thing I have caught was a packrat and then I used it as bait.I went and checked my live trap today and the door was still open but it was turned completely over and the bait was gone.I dont know what could have turned my cage over but I would have to guess a raccoon.Do raccoons eat rabbits?

beaver is a good bait. use a bigger type of bait for visual. we have had them eat everything from a possum to a porupine we picked up off the road

We dont have any bears where Im from and I dont think it could have been stray dogs cause the closest house to my trap is about 9 miles.I know there are alot of raccoons and bobcats in the area and a ton of coyotes.I wouldnt think a coyote would attempt to stick his head in there after a rabbit but I dont have alot of knowledge about coyotes either.They seem alot more cautious than bobcats and raccoons and Im sure a bobcat wouldnt be able to get out of there even if he did flip it on its top.But raccoons on the other hand seem too smart for their own good sometimes.Do you think I could buy some tint stakes and stake my trap to the ground to prevent this from happening again?Thanks for all of your help.

went to check my oil wells tonight, found a cat that had been run over on the west side of the road, kinda stinks since trapping season and huntn season ended a week ago here,looked like a 4x4 was pretty good bait for that one

Back