Help!!! Im doing somthing wrong but dont know what

d2admin

Administrator
hey guys im from north cenral MN and im new to this sport. i have currently been hunting with my shotgun until i decide what kind of rifle to get, but Im obviosly doing somthing wrong. I have been out just about every day for over 2 weeks and i havent even seen a fox or coyote. I dont know what im doing wrong. i know that there are a quite a few around because there are tracks all over the places ive been calling. of course ive been facing into the wind when i walk into an area and then facing into it when i call so that cant be it. i have been focusing on fox because ive seen more tracks and i have heard that they are easier to call in. I usually sit for at least 15 minuets and stay as still and quiet as i can. i have been using a Johnny Stewart elect. call with young cottontail distress, fox and cottontail and yellowhammer. I have been calling in the morning evening and at night. like i said i dont know what im doing wrong. Thank you very much for any help you can give me.
-kyle kjm16_99@yahoo.com

Kyle:

They are there, you just have to be patient and keep at it. Earlier in another thread someone asked "When do you have the best luck- mornings or evenings?" and the given answer was "When I go"...and believe me that is the truth.

Last Saturday I got two yotes near Walker, so I know that they are all around you.....keep at it!

Kyle,
Like Shotgun says, be patient and don't give up. You didn't say how you use the caller, but I like to start very softly so as not to scare any close animals. Then, gradually build up the sound to entice any critters far away. Remember too, that if there is alot of snow on the ground, it may take awhile for a fox to traverse a long distance. Keep at it. I probably called 20 times before I got my first response. Took another 20 to get him within range /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif .
John

hi Kyle
I myself dont hunt the fox because we have few around.But you say your alway's facing the wind?
That's very helpful in getting to your spot.And you call facing the wind.Try the wind right to left,And watch your down wind side.That's most likely where there coming into you from.If you have a partner set him down wind. Your chances will double for incomeing fox ,or the yote.

good luck /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

HC..

When walking in to your setups avoid all human sounding noises. Sneak in as quietly as possible. Make sure you are hidden well, they may be seeing you before you see them. Just throwing out some thoughts.

sounds like you are doing the right things, but like it was said it may take a while to get that first one to come in. just a sugjestion but you may want to sit longer than 15 min. where i call fox it seams to me that it takes them a little longer to come in, sometimes i sit for 45min. before i get a fox to come into the call. also try a rodent call,seams to work for me when the rabbit wont get them to come in.good luck

Back