Please help a rookie!

tmb

I have quite a few coyotes running around my deer hunting property so I want to get rid of them. I will probably only hunt 10x per year. I would like to use an electronic call but don't want to pay an arm and a leg. Most of my hunting will be done over 200x100 yd fields using a .223. I will only be using it for coyote hunting. Is there a big difference between the cheap (under $50) call and the expensive calls? I like the idea of a remote caller. Can I get a good one for under $150? Any recommendations? Thanks for all your input.

My thoughts are.. watch the classifieds... pick up a used Foxpro..I think you will be $$'s ahead. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif

yes there is a big difference between some of the cheap e-callers and the higher end ones. I would suggest that regardless of which caller you use, your not going "to get rid of them". If you concerned about not spending much cash, why not a couple of nicely made hand calls?

I understand I can't get "rid" of them but I would like to thin the herd. There is a large blonde one that has chased deer multiple times while I've been hunting. I also think I would really enjoy coyote hunting. 10x a year would be due to not having time to go more.

If thinning the "herd" of coyotes (pack would be a better term) is really the consideration, learn to trap. Calling 10X a year won't do it. If you won't do that then buy some handcalls and really learn how to make a well thought out set-up, a "stand." Hunting over fields may not be the most productive strategy. Learn the habits of the coyote and respect him and you'll come a lot closer to actually calling and killing one now and then. Otherwise you stand a really good chance of simply educating the coyotes and making them considerably harder to kill.

good point on pack vs herd. I saw coyotes 75% of the time while deer hunting over 1 particular field that is 150yds long and 100yds wide. They are constantly stopping in 1 area looking for mice. I keep a handcall with me and called 1 in but missed the shot at 40yds with a bow. I got a grey fox the week prior using the same rabbit in distress call.

I don't want to trap. I want to call them in and shoot them. I would like a wireless remote caller just for coyote hunting. Would it be better to spend the xtra money on a foxpro, drop down to a preymaster, or really drop down and buy a cass?

for the really cheap ones, they put out too much "hiss" in the sounds and if we humans can hear it out 50-75 yds from speaker, I'm sure the yotes can too. Behind the speaker is a different sound. I'll share that experience with you so you won't have to....waste of time and $$ on putting one together at Radio Shack with plans that someone put out on the internet for < $25. Get at least a disc player or digital caller, they make a difference when it matters.
Also, your area sounds small enough that when you start your stand, try a few lip squeaks or really low volume sounds first because you don't want to blast them with a high volume sound that actually scares them instead of attracts them, and then gradually increase volume as needed or per conditions. You'll be surprised how close they might be hidden in the brush sometimes and a lip squeak might be all it takes.

Well that old analogy, "you get what you pay for", is true.

If on a fixed budget then the JS preymaster is a great caller.. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif

But as another member said you might watch the classifieds and pick up a foxpro unit for a little more than the preymaster.

Gool luck either way, welcome to PM!!!!!!!!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif

I have used Cass creek calls and various hand calls and called in yotes just as well as tape callers. Not used the expensive e-calleers yet. My advice is buy what you can afford and shoot straight.

Back