coyote hunting in Michigan

d2admin

Administrator
Last year was my first year hunting coyote, and needless to say I am addicted even though I have yet to see a coyote in the woods (EVER). /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif I am hunting in Midland county on both state and private land. ANyone out there hunt close to me? Can you give me any suggestions. I have read, listened, followed all the advice on here and other sites as far as setting up, calling, camo, wind...all the usual suspects, but I have yet to even see a coyote. Now I know they are around, we hear them, but I am at a lose of what to do next. Anyone hunt in Midland getting coyotes? Thanks in advance for the replies. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

howdy coyoteadddict,
i am from lapeer michigan, probably about an hour south of you or so. i hunt mostly red fox around my place. i have yet to shoot one but am also addicted to this crazy game of hunting the hunter. i tried some coyote hunting up in the tawas area and had no luck but i also didnt see any yote sign but tons of fox sign. i did call a fox in but it wasnt in season yet. i dont know how much scouting you do but i try to do almost as much scouting as hunting and learn everything i possibly can about the predators in that area before i make a stand and touch a call. you dont want to educate them. also i try to always have a partner with me to watch my back just because four eyes are better than two. they may have came in but just didnt show themselves to you. i had a pack of coyotes do this to me and a buddy last year at night. i was talking to them and they were talking back but we never got to see any. and they sounded real close. i have talked to a few people who have said there are tons of coyotes around your way. just dont give up and keep trying diferent things until you get it right. that is what i am doing. good hunting. later,dave

Hi friend, I'm from Jackson County and I've heard yotes from time to time at night and once in a great while seen yotes during the day. However here in the southern lower the yotes are mainly nocturnal. My suggestion is to scout during the day and hunt a spot that has a lot of yote sign. Hunt that spot the first hour of the morning when the wind is right. Also hunt at midday when night time lows are getting below zero and day-time highs are in the 20's However the best time to hunt them here is to hunt at night when you have a bright moon and snow. Hunt one spot after another after another. Sooner or later you'll score. By the way the next full moon is on or around Dec. 19th. Good luck!

Although not an expert by any means on this; I've called in a few since I became addicted to this sport.

The biggest difference between here and out west is cover; you will call in lots of coyotes you will never see, because they use the cover to circle down-wind and check the set.

The two biggest things I've learned are 1) Pick your stands to allow you to cover the down-wind approach. 2) Pull the trigger on them as soon as possible, don't wait for those "video close" shots, it just gives them more of an opportunity to bust the set.

It's tough calling here but there are plenty of coyotes to be had.

Keep the wind in your face.........

One little idea we came up with I'd like to share. For moonlight calling. If you are lacking snow cover for reflection, head for the gravel pits. The sand reflects well and the yotes like these areas as they are usually close to rivers. We busted one two weeks ago that way. Just couldn't wait for the snow cover. Nice big male dog. Sarted the year off right!!

I hunt in southwestern MI and started getting into it last year. I started out going at night and shot a nice red fox my first night out. The best advice i can give is you have to find out where they are, once you found them you can call them in within minutes. The first yote i shot was at night also and called for not even two minutes before he presented himself nineteen paces from me. I knew their was yotes there because my friend saw four during deer season, so just find them and it is easy, and fun!!!!!!!

Another idea for moonlight calling without snow is to work the bean fields and pastures. As long as there is a good frost coyotes show up real well.lmost as good as snow.Just be sure your in deep shadow yourself so they can't make you out and hang up. JImmie

Back