Calling Tactics and Sounds?

Status
Not open for further replies.
SteveM, I mostly hunt the wayne national forest. There's not much in the way of fields here, and what few there are are right along roads and houses. I went out the other night and just sat down at the edge of a field and howled, a few coyotes answered from about 200yds. I got excited and moved to face them and apparently they saw me cause I never seen or heard them again. I realize the biggest part is locating them, but when they won't talk, I just have to take a guess and setup whereever I can. I think I am bumping some on my setup, but have done everything I know of to avoid it. My vehicle and the woods are only sooo quiet. Anyways, I have taken the yotes to school around here, and they have graduated before me /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Hunting the forests can be a tough job. I find it much easier using a FoxPro with a decoy. Good Luck.

Hey guys
I thought this thread would never end.
I need to learn how to call I've never called one in. I need to know how many blows in each series and how often to blow the series. I think I do to much blowing then too little.
Thanks
AMfoxhunter

Am,
The best thing to do is get some instruction tapes from some of the good callers. Randy Anderson's Videos are really good too. Listen to the sounds and then make your calls into a pocket recorder. Play your sounds on top of their sounds and see how close you are. keep goin until you get them exact.

Major has some good tapes here too.

www.critrcall.com

Good luck.

Fox, depends on how much callin area you have. I generally don't call an area again for a couple of weeks after making kills, maybe even longer but I have lots of hunting area here. If a small area and don't call up anything after a couple of trys, don't usually go back. It may not be a good area for yotes may not be there the times of day or night I am hunting. Think about those areas, they may not be productive.

It has been my own experience that calling the same area as little as only once or twice a year can have an effect on the resident coyotes. Seem like those buggers learn real quick and have very long memory concerning bad experience with a screaming rabbit. This fact is just one of the reasons that we have to be constantly improving our hunting ability, and constantly striving to find new ways to fool the wiley coyote.

It is much harder for a coyote to become wise to his own voice than it is to the sound of enclosed reed predator calls. The constant repetition that electronic callers emit, are probably even easier for coyotes to wise up to than enclosed reed hand calls. The E mails that I have received this past winter, and some of the posts that I have seen on the PM forums have hammered home the truth in my belief that howlers are worth their weight in gold for the serious coyote caller.

What about areas where a howl is NEVER heard. We hunt an area that is loaded with coyotes. Every trip shows tons of new sign. However, howling has never been responded to, either vocally, or by a visit (that we are aware). We have only had them come in to a rabbit distress call. (The area also has a very healthy snowshoe population)

They are plenty quiet here in my area too. That is not to say they won't come in to a howl. I do very little howling here but did have one come in. As Rich says, I believe you have to keep changin up and working to be successful unless you are in areas like out West! I hunt all over the country and it is a whole new ballgame when hunting around here compared to out West.

Amatuerfoxhunter,
You can get bipods that have a swivel built into them. This gives you "some" ability to swing for a shot. I do believe it would be difficult to swing very far one way or the other though, that is what is keeping me from putting one on my rifle. Hopefully, some folks with experience using one will reply.

hey
For the bipod, what options should be on it? What way should it fold? how long for the sitting position and how long for the prone position? also any other options will help. Same thing for the shooting sticks. How long?
Thanks for the help?
Am

Depends on how tall you are. Check the Harris bipods and Stoney Point shooting sticks. I use the Pole-Cat and love them.

JDB,
A good .223 Remington with 50-55 grain bullets will make a dandy calling rifle. Back in the thick stuff, a twelve gauge shotgun loaded with BB's or #4 BUCK will fill the bill very nicely.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back