Calling Tactics and Sounds?

Status
Not open for further replies.
This has been some great reading.A couple questions for you men.I do fairly good using the distress calls but when it comes to the howls and puppy calls I get confused on how frequent to howl and how much calling I should do when on stand using these techniques.So if you guys could go into this to see what we can learn I would appreciate it.Todd

Knobbhunter,
Take a look at the thread entitled "howling coyotes method". It is just above this topic right now. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Hey guys! I have been winded 3 times in the last week. I see pics posted of calling sights and setups but I dont think they respond well here to "out in the open" calling.Its much safer for them to stay in the thick till they are close enough to wind you or see you. I called in the same spot 3 times in a week. It snowed lightly while I was there. It covered all older tracks, even mine.
I heard some rustling arround behind me and there he was. He was staring at me for several minutes.I had actually brushed the noise off to squirrels. My rifle was pointed in a oppasite direction. I didnt bother trying to swing it arround. As I turned my head to get a better look, he must have made positive ID and was gone in a blink LOL. I think I might need to set up in the woods a couple hundred yards. Fence lines apply here in In. As do natural clearings.
They will take game trails, but these game trails are within deep woods. Bottoms work well here also, everywhere you look is an old creekbed.
I just read last week that I need to keep just as sharp an eye out for my downwind side.
I was winded 3 times in the same spot. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/mad.gif
Should I set up and face downwind this time?
Thanks, I learn more from you guys than collective reading. Is there a limit or usual yardage they will circle downwind? I seen his tracks when I left,so I know it was a coyote,and I know my calling like a wildman worked. Just wasnt facing the right direction.
Any advice is apprecialted. thanks, Jerryboy

From that post it sounds like you were watching the open field instead of the woods and was backdoored through the woods.Believing our eastern animals will trot across open areas is the biggest mistake most make. Coyotes use any and all cover available to make the aproach. Use as large an open area as possible at your back down wind of you, htey are less likely to go out there to wind you. Face upwind into the woods whenever possible or use those fencerows to call the woods from.

If you absolutely must go into the woods for a set up use a ridgeline in place of the open field behind you.Setting up just below the crest allows your scent to be placed higher above the ridge and drop into the next hollow, at least that is my theory. I belive that winds flow over the ground much like water. Obstacles cause major flow changes just like in a stream or river creating eddies and whirlpools of scent.Setting up near the ridgeline also gives you a better view of your surroundings and allows you to see before being seen.Jimmmie

Anyone try using scents to lure in a coyote? I was thinking of trying some smoke sticks made for bear.

Using scents such as strange coyote urine is soemtoimes used to keep their attention on a certain area for a while. This makes it easier to locate them since they want to catch the interloper and run it off or kill it. Jimmie

Originally posted by singing dog:
[qb]
Originally posted by Rich Cronk:
[qb]Most of the terrain here in western Iowa consists of corn or soybean fields tucked in to the valleys and hillsides. The farms are small 200-400 acre parcels (approx.), so a caller needs permission on a lot of dofferent farms in order to expect to call many coyotes. The hills that are too steep to farm are covered with trees and brush, which is where I concentrate most of my calling efforts. Calling must wait until the crops are harvested because you just can't see a coyote through all of that cover. Oh sure, you CAN lure a coyote out of a cornfield and in to a rather small pasture or small clearing now and then but I like to kill the coyotes that I call.[/qb]
[/qb]

I am hunting a large crop field (cut corn) with a pasture and about 40 acres of woods in the southeast corner. There is an old railroad bed that is ridged on both sides where I have seen alot of coyote sign on my drive down the railroad bed which is broken by a lane that goes east to the pasture. The pasture and woods is surrounded by fencing. I have seen six yotes in the woods while bowhunting for deer, but have failed to call any in since. Any help would be appreciated.

I have tried to read most of the post under this subject, and there is certainly loads of info here. But it seems everyone that is calling has fields or pastures all around. How do you call when it's all woods with oilwell roads and township rds. It seems bedding areas are whereever the coyotes want them to be. Generally the farthest I can see is 100yds and a clear shot at half that distance. Is there a different technique that works better? what do you guys think?

Your all woods areas are they flat land or rolling hills?? Hunting the woods is a different ballgame in respect to bringing them in to me. When callin this type of area, I like to use my FoxPro with remote and a decoy. When using a mouth call in thick cover, it is easy for the critters to wind you or come in and leave without being seen. What I like to do is setup the decoy with my Foxpro to bing the critter where I want them to come. I try to set it out as far as I can but still be able to see it. This way the critter can come in, circle for wind if it wants too, and still come out in front of me for a shot without knowing I am there.

I have wooded areas NW of me with loggin roads and such. Scout the area looking for travel routes to get some idea of where they are or going. Checking the area at night for howling can give you an idea of location too. Jim of KY and GC can shed more light on this. I generally try to set up off the roads with the wind in my favor. Most yotes in this area for me are just like the deer in they like to travel the path of least resistance,loggin roads, and present some pretty open shots looking for that crying rabbit! Hopefully, these guys will get back on here shortly and lend you a hand.

Hi steve, I wish it was flat land /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif . The elevation changes from about 650ft at the bottom of the hollows and 1000ft on the ridge tops. Most of it is fairly steep. Most has been timbered in the last 50yrs so it's not extremely open land. I have often thought of using a tree stand for calling so I could see better. what do ya think?

He gave you some good tips, distancing yourself from the FoxPro&path of least resistance approach has worked good for me. He is right GC and Jimmie in Kntky hunt the same style of terrain and they will have some more tips once they spot this post. I'm anxiously waiting their inputs as well.

SRS 1, you might want to go back through this and look for GC'S post's.That's his type of country. Mine isn't quite as steep.WHere I have no fields I work the ridges and points sticking out into the bottoms.Wooded country is the toughest calling there is.Jimmie

SRS, that is what I figured on the lay of the land. That is more in GC's line. The wooded areas that I talked about are more rollin hills than what you have. The lay of my area is more like Jim-in-KY.

A tree stand would be a good move in my opinion. We hunt predators just like deer anyway except for the callin aspect. Wind, noise, and stealth goes along way. The decoy method talked about using a FoxPro would give you alot better vison from a treestand. What I wonder about in treestand callin with a mouth call is the critter gettin close enough without you seeing it and wondering why that rabbit sound is coming from 20ft up a tree!!! LOL!!

Is that a sound that can be made with a hand call or is an e-caller the way to go? And is there anyway to call a coyote that has been called before? I think that people call some of these areas quite a bit. But it only takes one bad setup to educate the locals, right?

SRS 1,
You can make a bird distress sound by trilling your tounge against roof of your mouth while blowing on a predator call. If you played cops and robbers as a kid, you probably remember how to make that machine gun sound. Tounge action is the same for making bird distress. Coyote won't care if it is a woodpecker or a dang swan, cause it is just lunch to him. Calling coyotes that have been called before is best done with a howler, at least I think so. Take a look at the thread "howling coyotes method". /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back