Calling Tactics and Sounds?

Status
Not open for further replies.
It would be interesting to know how many times this thread has been opened wouldn't it?

Jimmie from Kentucky and GC,
You two fellows have gone beyond the call of duty with all of the calling secrets and good information that you have brought to the readers of this forum. It is people like you who really help to keep Will Craig's dream alive. I want you guys to know that your contributions are greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Rich,
Thanks for the kind words. That means alot coming from you. I'm certainly not "expert" but I have made most of the mistakes I read about from other hunters here on the boards. In fact, I may have a corner on mistakes, probably even invented a few and they now bear my name! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Over the years you learn from those experiences and I really don't mind sharing those with others. Hopefully doing so helps them, and me, to shorten the learning curve somewhat.

I was wondering, is there a way to "sticky" this thread so it hangs at the top continually? On the site where I moderate, the software allows us to sticky a particular thread/post/note so that it's always on the top of the list. That way folks can easily check that or refer to it and not have to search the archives. Just a thought.

Super Thread!! Now for a different twist.... Any tips on doing this with a bow? :eek: I am a dedicated bowhunter and although I plan on getting a rifle to hunt predators with, I don't have one yet. I guess any ideas on how to get the coyote to focus off of my during my calling and his approach.

Russ

I've never been able to tag one with a bow. I'm always caught in the act of drawing.Of course I quit trying before all of these motorized decoys became so available. I would suggest e-callers and either the predator supreme decoy or the predator enticer decoy. Predators lock on these really well. Be sure you draw well in advance of the animals aproach, hopefully while it's deep in some cover but you can still hear it coming. It has been done using these tactics by one of our western board members.Jimmie

Jimmie, thanks for the ideas. I don't know about drawing ahead of time though. I shoot a recurve and don't think a hernia is worth it, but it might be. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Russ

heres some offbeat calling sounds that guys around here are trying.An old trapper told me that he uses a squirrel sqauller.its about the size of a 50cent piece and has a hole in the middle.It sounds like a squirrel in trouble,makes any squirrels that hear it go nuts.says coyotes will come right to it.Another guy I know hunts geese and says he's had coyotes run out and steal downed geese.He takes a goose decoy and places 15 to 20 feet from cover, sets up downwind and gives several loud greeting calls on his goose call.has killed 3 so far. We have alot of geese that winter around here and the coyotes have found them easy prey.Thanks for this great thread.Lots of great info for us new callers

I've killed a coyote while using the squirrel in distress. I was squirrel hunting at the time, a mature female came poking around, a .22 LR HV HP at the base of the ear at did the trick.

Think about it, small prey animal in distress. Faulks makes the best of these I've heard.

I am interested in purchaseing the squirel squealer that coyotehunter 1 was talking about in his post on 1-5-03. I have not been able to locate one.
Any help in locating this call is appreciated.

Darton,

Somewhere there was a post about "fox whistles" and a, British or Australian, guy who is a member here told us how to get them.

He went on to say how he was knockin' the foxes dead with it, wherever it was he's from.

Try searching for members from those countries, and give a shout to them.

Jeff

He's speaking of the "Mr. Squirrel Distress Whistle" that I think is currently being distributed by Lohman Calls of Missouri. I happen to like the Faulk's "Squirrel Distress" call best. The Faulk's is a small wooden barrel call that is easy to hold and blow (actually-you suck air through the call to get the sound), and gives a very realistic sound.

Years ago I clipped a young of the year grey squirrel with a .22 LR. in the spine. The shot knocked him out of the tree and disabled him in the rear end. As soon as he hit the ground he began squealling. The sound sort of startled me and I paused to listen to it a second before finishing the squirrel off. With the first few seconds of this, an unseen squirrel less than fifty yards away began chattering and ran out on a limb to cuss at the disturbance. I shot that one, then quickly finished the first one. Later I began buying squirrel distress whistles to help the squirrel hunting. The Faulk's is the one I think best imitated the sound I heard that morning. It's also proved useful more than once while squirrel hunting. I use this along with a Quaker Boy bulb type chatter call in combination, when the action is slow, to occasionally stimulate a response from quiet squirrels.

I did kill one coyote that came sneaking into this commotion once while I was squirrel hunting. A shot to the ear from my .22 took care of the youngish female. I've never really used this as a serious technique to call coyotes, but am not the least bit surprised that a predator comes to the call. As I said somewhere above, it's a critter in distress, and that's what it takes to turn on a inquisitive predator. I've had coyotes and foxes sneak into my hen turkey sounds in the spring while turkey hunting. I also know a couple of different guys who have had bobcats sneak on them while turkey hunting. Same story I guess, a prey animal making sound that allows a predator to get a fix on their location and put the sneak on.

Darton,
I have one of those callers they are talking about but it has been so long ago can't remember where I got it. You have to be careful as not to suck it down your windpipe!! LOL!! I have squirrel distress on my new foxpro. It does not sound like these calls but will see how it works out sooner or later.

Originally posted by ldhunter:
[qb]
Originally posted by Jimmie in Ky:
[qb]Idhunter, that's the reason for the poncho type of ghillie.I can darn near throw it in the air and stick my head through it. It comes off just as easy.It rolls up to about the size of a football and tucks under the arm easy enough or into a pack if you carry one.I too worry about others in the fields.Not all of them are legal or sane /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif Jimmie[/qb]
Ain't that the truth?... quick note- bi picked up one of the outhouse blinds today at a meijers store on clearance for 29.00, couldnt believe it,by the way this is a awesome thread-dean

I ran across www.ghilliesuits.com and these look very affordable and practical.

On the note of the portable pop up blind... I just ordered one from www.natchezss.com because they just lowered the price of the Ameristep Outhouse blind from $119 which is what everybody has been selling them for for years to $59 which is a steal.

I'll report back with my first impressions.

Supposedly setup is in 5 seconds and take down is in 10 seconds guaranteed. It looks like you just grab it in one particular place and shake it and it just springs into a full dome and takedown is just pressing in one place and it collapses into a "ring shape".

$bob$[/qb]

Jimmie in Ky
I just found this sight yesterday I love it. I live in Huntingdon Tn. I have been trying call up a coyote and kill one for 3-4 yrs. Called some up but no kill.
Tell more about the LBL hunt who hunts with who.Will there be a place and time to talk and share infro. This is answer to my prayers.

Hey Jimmie in KY,

I just found this site a few days ago and I saw your posts. I live in Hickman county next door to Mayfield and I was wondering if you would want to get together for a hunt in my neighborhood in the next few weeks. I'm a beginner but in the past week I've gone out 3 times and have managed (through a combination of luck and horrible calling) to call in 3 coyotes. We have yotes running around all over the place over here and no one to hunt them, if your interested let me know and I can show you around and give you some new territory to hunt.

Well now, this thread should keep me busy for a while...Thanks. Any possibility of having a Mod pin this one at the top?
Tominator

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back