Calling Tactics and Sounds?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey Rich, How about a really good education in how to use a howler? Best sounds to use and why? Your bound to have some secrets I don't know tucked away somewhere /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif Jimmie

Well Jimmie, I will start with all around coyote calling when using a howler. This includes fall and winter calling, and works any time of year. Coyotes are always curious about any stranger in their territory, and much of the time will come to investigate the sound of a howl. I like to use a medium pitched howl, sort of like a young coyote and I want the howl to sound lonesome or mournful. I try not to sound aggressive this time of the year unless I get a challenge howl in response to my lonesome howl.

I start my stand with two or three lonesome howls, followed by a couple of minutes of silence. If I see or hear no response, I will give out a minute or so of puppy squeals. I continue with a minute or so of puppy squeals every couple of minutes or so. If coyote does not show withing 15-20 minutes, I will try a few more howls.

If there are any questions so far, readers should ask them now. Please feel free to jump in here and ask questions or give opinions. I will write more on this subject a little later.

Rich when you howl what % of the time do coyotes answer you?

I get a answer maybe 15 % of the time depending on the time of the year but the coyotes will come to my stand anyway.It seems out west coyotes are more vocal it may also be a higher population.

Terry,
These Iowa coyotes are pretty shutmouthed in daytime. They often howl back on my first stand in the morning, right at first light but do not give vocal response very often after that. They will answer me again just before dark, but that doesn't help me much. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif The lack of vocal response is one reason why I tell folks not to howl until they are ready to call the coyotes in and shoot them. Now if I am locating coyotes for a springtime den search, then I will howl at night in hopes of finding out where the den is. I also would like to point out that while hunting in north texas and Arizona, the coyotes would often howl back at me in middle of the day. Here in Iowa, just because I don't get a vocal answer does not mean that a coyote or three isn't already headed in to check out my howling efforts.

Sometimes I think that I have to be hit in the head with a shovel before I will believe that it sure does smart to get smacked with a heavy blunt object. Here is a little true story that happened to me many years ago. It was mid September and I was bowhunting mule deer west of Norden, Nebraska. I had one of my first cow horn howlers in my pack, and I believed that howling was for LOCATING coyotes. It never once crossed my mind that the dang horn would call em in. Well I had two coleman lanterns burning outside my tent one night after supper and decided to blow on the new howler a bit. I howled, a few coyotes howled back so I howled again and even more coyotes answered back. I was having great fun listening to those howling coyotes when all of a sudden one of em came to within 80 yards of camp and barked at me! It still didn't sink in for a long time afterward that coyotes can be called with nothing but a howler. Yep!

I've located a livestock buyer who also runs a few feed lots. This combination equals dead livestock and the rodents going for the feed as an attraction. I know there a more than a few coyote's working this location. Terrain is right and a fair amount of good bedding areas. What sounds would be best under these circumstances?Jimmie

Rich-If after your series of howls and puppy squeals and a coyote doesn't come in is there a point where you switch to distress sounds or do you not use them on this particular stand? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif Wishbone

Jimmie,
In my area, the coyotes don't seem to work the dead livestock much at this time of the year. Later in winter time I have called coyotes off from dead livestock with nothing but a rabbit call. I am betting that you have done the same. If the coyotes are not call wise then they will come.

Here is another time that a howler can make the difference on call wise or spooky coyotes. The lonesome sounding howl that I mentioned earlier acts as a suspicion remover, very similar as urine at a trap set. Try starting your set with the rabbit distress and if no response after about five minutes or so, try a lonesome howl followed by a few seconds of silence and then hit em with a different distress cry like maybe a hurt pup or a bird distress.

If you get a vocal answer to your howls, try to howl back as quick as you can and imitate the coyote that answered you just as closely as you can manage. Talking back to a coyote and saying same thing he does, really makes em angry at times. They sometimes come in on the run with hair standing on end and their mouth open and spoiling for a fight.

Wishbone,
Guess what a puppy squeal is? A distressed little critter. Using a rabbit, bird, fox or other distress sounds intermixed with howling also works well. One thing I am careful not to do is give the coyotes all of the sounds in my arsenal on one stand. I feel that doing so can educate a lot of coyotes.

Here is another method of howling. Most of the old time predator control folks use it (or a variation of it) in the spring when they are after the old livestock killers. I just happen to be one of a FEW who use it all year long. OK, take two howlers with you to your chosen stand. Some of the open reed howlers will allow you to pull this trick with just ONE howler. What we are gonna do is try to sound like TWO or more coyotes instead of just one. I have trained my voice to do a decent coyote howl so that along with my howler I can sound like a whole dang family of coyotes (not really, but almost). Start the stand with a low pitched howl, give em a medium pitched howl a few seconds later, and follow up with an even higher pitched howl. After a couple of minutes or so of silence, I will go in to my pup squeal routine. My howler makes some of the loudest pup squals you can imagine. This method works in fall and winter too, but you will probably call mostly the older and more agressive animals. A howler is not a magical wand or anything like that. It is just another tool in a serious caller's bag of tricks.

Thanks for clearing the pup squeals up for me.Didn't think of them as being in distress but-you're right. (can ya tell I'm new? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif ) Seems like you use them at all times of the year also from reading some of your other posts. Sitting here trying to take it all in and see how much sticks! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Wishbone,
I think it was in late 1980's when I went on a four day calling safari with Murray Burnham. I had a Burnham "coyote Pups" tape, and I asked him if he thought it would work well during spring and summer calling. "It will work all year around too" said Murray. "It is same thing as a rabbit" Murray continued, "It is a critter in distress ain't it?". When Murray Burnham speaks, I listen. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Rich, What I'm thinking is using the howler mostly at the feed lot situation. Pup squeals and the lone howl for the most part. Maybe throw the fox sounds in for flavor /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif Mainly territorial sounds. I believe they are most likely feeding on the rat population. The feed will draw rats by the hundreds.

Ky still allows night hunting wihtout lights so these coyote's will be in for a weeee bit of trouble if I can get the permission to them. Aint but a half dozen of these feed lots scattered over a couple of miles /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif I'd better practice some more wiht my new toys, mouth calls only.Jimmie

Canine puppies and coyote pups are as much a food sound as they are a territorial sound.Either of these sounds will tick off the dominant pair.Nothing other than their group is allowed within the home territory.That's why this sound is a year around sound just like the bunny blues.Mimicking a lost puppie or litter of pups with a diaphram call is fairly easy. Use the single reed.The critter call, pc3, cronks calls will all produce this same sound. Tapes are readily available as well. Turn the tape on and just leave it alone at medium volume.This sound is great on call shy animals.I use these sounds for cleanup .Jimmie

Rich
I have great luck with puppy whines.I have not howled much this fall because of all the young coyotes sometimes I think howls scares off the young ones.

So I know this is about hunting in thick cover and I do some of that, but here in Washington state we hunt open scabland or thick evergreen forest.

In each of these covers how far and how wide is this "scent cone" y'all mentioned, in say a five to ten mile per hour wind?

Thanks for all the great info so far, I feel like an old pro already.

Jeff /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

Krustyklimber,
We were talking close cover tactics for awhile there, but it is open for all terrain types now. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif I don't believe that anyone can predict EXACTLY how wide a scent cone will be at certain distances. Think of your scent cone as a funnel with the narrow opening of said funnel being YOU. Now the longer the funnel, the wider it gets, right? It is somewhat the same with your scent cone--it gets wider as distance increases, but also becomes weaker as your scent gets dispersed into the atmosphere. Wow, I'm starting to sound like a dang scientist or something here! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

I'm startin to get dizzy reading this! Info oversaturation.
Keep up the good work gent's!
Now, can anyone tell me where to find a snowshoe hare in distress call?

Krusty Klimber, if your talking about using the wind on a down wind setup try to have it where it is at least at a forty-five degree angle to the cover. That way it is still a temptation to the dog but not tight enough to cause a problem until it's to late for the animals to change.In theory the faster the wind blows the narrower the scent cone.

Sorry Roadkill, I sure wished you had shown up sooner. I can't find a swamp rabbit either /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif I hear they sound a lot like a jack rabbit.Jimmie

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back