Ream Your scope rings!!!!

Lapping or reaming is a great way to protect a scope and minimize the amount of windage/elevation needed to zero your scope. I've not used a reamer but have used some 600 wet and dry sandpaper with some wd40 on a steel rod. This works quickly too.

I have used the Burris rings with the inserts with good results but have two gripes with them and that is they use 2 screws for the upper halve instead of four. I find that with only 2 the top half will cant and for some reason that bugs me. The other is with their Weaver style rings they use a weanie sized regular screw for the base instead of a nice 1/4" bolt.

Lately I've switched to TPS (Tactical Precision System) rings that boast a manufacturing tolerance of .0002" and they say do not require any lapping. I buy their AL rings and find they are fantastic and cost way less than other tactical rings.

Have done or had done the lapping for years, also the skim bedding with JB weld(ruff up the rings a little put release on the scope tube and bed. Now I use nothing but the Burris and have moved to the Leupold twist in bases rather than the weaver.

LEN

Had a pistol scope that was moving back in the rings on my .480 Ruger pistol, I tried all the glues and goops I had in the shop to no avail scope was still moving.

I got in a pickle and used some Loctite® Liquid Metal Filler as that was all that was available at the hardware store in a small community.

This stuff is great; I used a Q-tip and put some on the rings and tightened them lightly; then wiped up the excess with acetone and Q-tips and let it dry for about 6 hours. This stuff worked great it is great insurance.

The nice thing is that if your rings are not exactly straight you can put a little in the rings snug them up a little, let dry and then tighten to specification.

When removing the scope a very light tap and the scope will pop out of the rings and the filler can be wiped off easily with acetone and a paper towel in less than 30 seconds. Some of my scopes have been in and out of rings a dozen times and there are no ring marks of any kind on the scopes. The scopes look like new.

Here is a link. http://www.loctiteproducts.com/products/detail.asp?catid=17&subid=165&plid=653

It worked great for me, on Nightforce, Burris and Leupold scopes and rings. I also use it to bed the scope bases.
Caveat try at your own risk.
Mike

Back