Hunting alone at night-my scanning/shooting method

kec

I've always had a tough time hunting at night alone here in CNY for coyotes and fox because of running the light and shooting by myself. Head lamps i have found are not powerful enough for rifle hunting/ID'ing and the ones that are were uncomfortable for me and seemed to shift at the most inappropriate moments. Gun mounted lights - I always felt like i was waiving the gun around like a 10lb american flag not to mention the safety factor and loss of targets who i felt saw me. I have all the lights including a lightforce who's solution is to scan, find your target, re-attach it to the gun, shoot. This solution wasn't working for me as it was awkward and quite frankly a P.I.A. no matter how much i practiced. Additionally carrying and running 2 lights was equally a P.I.A. Finally I seemed to solve my problem rifle hunting-at least, and i hope this might help some other single nitetime hunters who have the same issues i had weather using a lightforce or another brand of light. I removed my lightforce from the gun and attached it to a mono shooting stick w/swivel head. I attached it with plastic cinch straps and electrical tape. The stick allows me to scan or pivot the light (by just spinning the stick)in almost any direction effortlessly while the gun rests on the top of the stick in the gun swivel, motionless, until a target is spotted. When a target is spotted i can maintain the light on the target while shifting the gun (and my body) to the target for a shot. My set-up isn't pretty to look at but at least it works for me and has made night hunting more enjoyable instead of the hassel it used to be.
Hope this helps someone else....good hunting!

I am going to try this out tonite.I put the bow mount that came with the lightforce on this e-bay tri-pod that I got for $15 (including shipping)Im getting ready to camo it now [image]
000_0157.jpg

Kec, that's a great plan... I've tried lots of different options myself but none that I've been too fond of. Do you have any pics of your setup? I was thinking that I could do the same thing with a cordless recharchable spotlight that I use. You could also pan and tilt just by leaning the stick I would suppose? Great idea, man...

Thanx, it works for me...finally. Should work with any handhelds too as long as you can fasten it to the stick so it is fairly level. AND yes you can tilt it forward or backwards and lean it side to side as well as spin it while making the appropriate gun/body adjustments for shot positioning. When gun is cradled in swivel I can also lift entire unit to swing gun on fast moving targets...if i have too (not that i'll get em...tho). I don't know how to post pics here but would e-mail ya one if ya send me your address. Like i said it's not pretty nor perfect but it works for me the best so far.

I hunt mostly by myself at night... I have used a 24" tripod with a 140 lightforce for the past couple years. I can use one finger to pan for eyes. I also have a 170 scope mounted light for shooting. This works great for me.

kec, that certainly sounds worth a try. It is a never ending battle to find someone who wants to hunt at night.

My solution uses a Velbon tripod that will place the light up around 7 feet and allow near 360* movement, though something less than 270 is more practical. There is a dark shadow directly under the light that allows me to conceal my 6'1" carcase.
The biggest problem is noise.

I won't say that it works great but it works. Sure beats not hunting.

30661tripod.jpg

Gomer, the tripod light is not very bright at all. It is a $14.95 implement light bough from a local farm store. Most people who see it think it is too dim. It does what it is supposed to - pick up eyes and not overwhelm them.
The scope mounted Optronics light is used w/o the red lens to light things up for positive ID and a shot. It hits the other extreme from the tractor light - it is a bit too bright for my tastes. You almost think it would singe the hair....

Joe, do you leave the red light on even when you switch the white light on? Does the white light scare them off?

Not intending to hijack your thread, but this brings up a question....a fox or coyote can't see a red light as well as a white light. The red light doesn't scare them off if used correctly. If you have a red light on, and then add a white light to it just to I.D. and/or shoot, can they see the white light if both lights are on at the same time?

Thats a pretty neat idea, Joe.

I didn't intend to hijack kec's thread.

kec - send me your pic's to the e-mail in my profile and I'd be glad to post them.

Ace and Gomer - my set up is a very poor and distant second to having someone else run the red light that knows even 1/2 of what they are doing. Not that good, but better than TV.

Yes, the addition of the bright-white will scare them.

All this reminds me that I need to get the deer cam off the tripod and the light back on. We're burnin night time!

Quote:
kec - send me your pic's to the e-mail in my profile and I'd be glad to post them.

The e-mail in profile says it's hidden. if you send me your e-mail, i'll send the pic. thanx

Two photos of kec's rig, I'll let him fill in the details:

kec15.jpg

kec16.jpg

kec, if some of the other photos are more representative of a view you want shown let me know. I didn't upload them all because I'm also in the boonies on dial-up. No cell phome reception either, but that is another story....

Hey Kec, that's sweet! I have a q-beam mounted on a tripod, it works ok but is a little ungainly by the time you add all the other junk I have with me. That's a great option to reduce clutter and weight!! The gears are turning now....

KEC great idea.

I am going to rig one up as well.

Lot less bulky than a tri-pod and offers greater ease of movement...

Are you in Jefferson County along Lake O?

Back