Fawn decoys?

Roadkill

We had such a good year pelt-wise, we broke down and ordered a fawn decoy in an effort to target those fawn eating coyotes. A pair with pups in Maine has a diet of 90% whitetail.
Anyone had any luck with these?
NiM

Last year I bought a fawn "decoy" in the lawn and garden department at Wall-Mart. It was almost to late to use it last year but I am going to give it a try right away. It looks so real I am sure it will fool a coyote. I plan on putting it close to a brush pile at the end of a field with a remote speaker a short distance away. It has glass eyes and realistic colors, and cost a fraction of some I've seen advertised.

Hey RoadKill. . .

Guess what I got? I got me a hide (and a dern good one too) of one of them huge Maine coyotes.

Man, is it ever purdy!!!!

Getting to your subject, the deer drop their fawns in Arizona beginning around June 10th. The fawn in distress sound is a killer during that period. I fawn decoy sure ain’t going to hurt you none, and it will work charms on them black bear too.

After seeing my new pelt, if I were you, I’d be calling your neck of the woods 24 hours a day! Use that Phantom - that booger is a predator’s worst nightmare.

Good luck....
wink.gif

------------------
yotewalk.gif

I have used a number of decoys,fawn coyote ,turkey, red fox ,coon and of course rabbit.Some were Feather flex and the others where either homemade or archery targets.I started using achery targets when our targets at the sportsmens club where torn up by bear. I figured if bear would attack them , they would dam sure fool other critters.

I really like motion in a decoy, it just seems so much more realistic. I wonder how one of the Tail-Wagger Decoys would work? It basically is a deer rear that you strap around a tree trunk or use a stake to plant in the ground. It has a battery operated tail which flicks and moves every eight seconds or so. It might be a good option.

------------------
"Doing the Right thing isn't always easy, but it's always RIGHT!"

Any time you can put motion into decoys they seem to at least attract attention.You know, when your in a duck blind and decide to set your gun down and move a few decoys in the spread.Thats when the ducks come! But that may not be the right kind of motion.haha
I think the tail wagger would be great.

AzWill,
Glad ou like it. It isn't the biggset or the best,but Bill wanted you to have a tanned one,and that cut the selection down.
I'll be trying the Phantom tomorrow morning with the fawn decoy. I'm hoping the combination will bring these open area shy coyotes out where I can see them. Our fawn drop should start any day. I need to get a pic for Bill
smile.gif

NiM

Roadkill:

Good luck on your outing and have fun! Let us know how the combination works.....

------------------
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
one shot~one kill

I blew it!. Got up late to start with. Didn't have much time. Then I broke one of my own rules on Eastern hunting. Stay on stand at least 45 min,if not an hour.
As I was headed down an old muddy tote road towards where I wanted to set up,I cut a good deer crossing, and decided I'd better make a quick set-up there. I know better. I only worked the Phantom call for 15 min or so, and headed down another mile or so to where I had originaly planned on. Made my hour stand there and had to head back.
Much to my horror,when I reached my first set,there were a fresh pair of coyote tracks in the mud.
You have to under stand,these are not ordinary coyotes. We've taken four times the coyotes from here that are even supposed to live in an territory here in Maine. The few that remain here,one huge dog in particular, have made a fool of me several times this winter.They've been hunted over bait,ran and outsmarted hounds,and been subject to every call I could get my hands on. I was fortunate enough to get one of the new Phantom callers to test,and even though I didn't belive these coyotes were callable, I had to try it here. A true test,if you will.
These coyotes are the equal to a B&C buck to me.
The Phantom worked,I didn't.
They're killing me.
NiM

Raodkill:

You are right there are some smart ones out there. It sounds like that particular one may have your number. We had one like that and as smart as they are, ya know that they can't count.

I would try again, same time same place, just like you did the first time, but bring a friend. Go to the first stand like you did and call for 15 min. Then make a big show of going-on-down the road, but by yourself. Leave your friend hidden there and go to the other stand and start your calling routine.

With any luck you will hear a bang....this has worked several times for me.....anything is worth a try once...remember this is east hunting and ambush counts as a means to an end....good hunting!

------------------
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
one shot~one kill

[This message has been edited by shotgun (edited 05-03-2001).]

RoadKill...

You learned a valuable lesson, to call critters you’ve got to cover all the little things, or they will soon turn into big trouble.

The new Phantom Predator caller will call any predator alive, East or West!

Get out there and give it another try.

Good luck...
wink.gif

------------------
yotewalk.gif

Back