Question for the experts

mach243

I have access to a whole mountain top and coyotes are here. Question is have any of you had experience hunting on mountain tops and around bluff lines?

------------------

The Eastern edge of the Mississippi River is lined with bluffs. Most of which I take well advantage of. I don't consider myself a pro, but my technique has always been to call em off them. Find a spot on the frozen river bottoms, or in the spring, set up in the marsh below and call. I can usually see them trotting down to the sound. Shotgun or Duanne could probably fill in here better. But this works for me here.
~River Runner~`

------------------
predatorlogo3jpg.gif

www.predatormasters.com

Thanks river runner, I have been on top of the bluffs and have had no luck. Seems they come up on top about an hour after dark. Maybe I should hunt the bottoms. I'll give it a try.

Roadkill, a bluff line is at the top of a mountain and is referring to the bluff that lines the top edge.

------------------

[This message has been edited by mach243 (edited 04-27-2001).]

SInce there isn't what is considered mountains in Minnesota and the plains - what we typically refer to as bluffs are where earth shifts and river erosion combine to make bluffs. There is usually a flat piece of land that suddenly drops several hundred feet and usually has a river or lowlands at the bottom. Picture the Great Divide or the Grand Canyon.

Coyotes and Fox usually run the bottoms of these bluffs, but occasionally come to the top and run the flat lands too. Actually, it may be a different group of Coyotes on the top and the bottom. With all of the food sources available at the bottom, and water, I can't seem to visualize a Coyote wanting to come up top.

In either case, you can not call one from the bottom to the top, as it appraches vertical. There are also lots of caves that make good homes for Coyotes, fox, and rattle snakes. Ya do have to be careful.....

------------------
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
one shot~one kill

Back