JS caller + night calling= no success

Skinny Shooter

This is a multi-forum post. I am new to predator calling and had purchased a JS caller last year but never really got out. I also have an Olt Flat reed call. Just got back tonite from hunting in a slight drizzle.
Was out for 4 hours and started just before dusk. We saw nothing. I used both calls at different times and spent about 20 mins at each spot. We only got to hit 7 spots.
I am not sure about the freqency of my calling and how long I should call each time before stopping.
With the JS caller do you just let it rip starting out soft and then increasing volume over time? With the mouth call it sure would be hard to keep it going for more than a couple of minutes. I no there are coyotes in our area, maybe I just wasn't in the right spot.
During daylight, my buddy covered the long distances with his .223 TC super 14 and I was out near the caller in my Shaggie camo with a 12ga.
Any thoughts are appreciated.

Skinny Shooter; You did nothing wrong my friend, when you use your JS Caller start out about almost 1/2 on your volume, for about 5min or so then lower down for about 3min then go to 1/2 volume for another 5min and keep going. I stay at a stand for about 15 to 20 min. Then I move on to another stand about a mile away or so. and continue to do the same thing over and over. You also might want to use hand calling it always seems to work the best for me. Just think of it this way just how long can a rabbit cry for till it gets tired or eaten up
smile.gif

------------------
Jason's Gun Room
Quialty Custom Gunsmithing

Thanx Jason.
Someone mentioned that the Eastern dogs take longer to come in, here in Pa. I should hang out for a good 1/2 hour.

Am going out solo this Sat am with the mouth call and JS caller. I can hardly contain myself with anticipation. The woods surrounding my home were logged last year so I will be hunting the overgrown logging trails and clearings.

Do you really think I should move that far between stands? If I was just mouth squealing in the woods I might only have to move several hundreds yards maybe between stands? This is definitely 12ga territory. Heard it is supposed to rain a bit so I won't be making much noise between stands.

Skinny Shooter, the sound waves can really go far I hunt in heavy areas here in Texas with sand hills and tall grass at times.

If a yote comes in fast to your call thats because he was just a few yards away. The sound range of your caller is about a mile thats ele. caller or hand call. Depends on the hand call on the way you blow it. We set up every mile and call if they don't come in with in 15 to 20 min. then move on beacuse they are not around.
Good luck on your hunt.
smile.gif

------------------
Jason's Gun Room
Quialty Custom Gunsmithing

Skinny,
I keep thinking about that thick stuff you mentioned. I certainly don't claim to know it all, but I think I can help you a little bit here. The heavy brush will cut down on the distance your calling sound carries, but also will cause sound to echo back at you if volume is too loud. I would want the volume to be about same as a real rabbit, maybe about half way point on your volume knob. Also remember that sound will not carry over top of a large hill, so many times you can call one side of a hill and just walk to the top and call other side. Using a light while calling at night in the timber country causes shadows which spook critters. The critters will come in daytime back there in that brush, and daytime is when I would call there. If you have no remote control, try placing each calling tape in a recorder and tape a minute or so of silence at beginning of the tape. This way you can set your caller in a small clearing, cross-wind of your hidey hole. The minute of silence after you hit the go button will give you time to get hid before the screams start. Now just sit back with shotgun at the ready and listen to the music. Be ever aware of wind direction when calling coyote. If you enter calling area with wind at your back, then the coyotes will know you are there already. Man oh man Skinny, are you ever gonna have some fun!!
smile.gif

Thanx. I am gonna hit em eventually. Was out last Sunday. No sightings. Each time I hit the woods it seems like I am able to refine my technique a bit more.
biggrin.gif

HI!
even
coyoties know to stay in out of the rain!
ok, seriously, calling in hi wind,rain,snowing, does no good, coyoties dont like it, they have very acute senses
and the weather messes with them, they den-up
in inclimate weather and wait for the calm.
you should have waited to go out at the first
light of the moon or sunup when the rain had
quit. they will have missed a meal and will
be quite hungry, thats providing your hunting
in an area that actually holds coyoties.

Back