Calling for coyotes during turkey season?

bowhunter57

I've seen a number of coyotes in eastern Ohio, during the spring turkey season.

I would like to know if you've had any experiences with calling for coyotes in and around an area where you'd normally hunt turkeys, during turkey season(spring).

Bowhunter 75,
The guys in my area are having problems with coyotes showing up when the start to call turkeys with their turkey calls. We have not tried just calling the coyotes yet. Yote Hunter.

Coyote season is closed here during the spring turkey season. Coyote season closes from March 31st through the end of May. I've listened to many turkey hunters who shoot coyotes responding to turkey calls during the turkey season regardless of the legality. I think this is a carryover of the old stigma of shooting all competeing predators. Competing with us that is. Yes, coyotes prey on a few turkeys. I've witnessed that. That's how the coyote stays alive and raises its puppies. Those hunters who shoot on sight all coyotes regardless of season, denning and rearing seasons, lack an appreciation of the real game animal in their woods. That of course is the coyote.

All right bowhunter57 I have to ask who you are? My name is Steve Cox I also live in Lima OH. I am going to Belfountain tonight to hunt coyotes with another board member.
Buckrun

I have a friend from Williamsport,PA who shot a yote that was sneaking in to his calls. My boss also told me that while hunting in Meigs County OH he & his partner had two coyotes circle their decoys. They whacked one when it pounced on one of his decoys!

My hunting partner had 3 coyotes respond to his first series of calls last spring while turkey hunting in vinton county.They came in hard and fast and he killed one within 30 yds. of where he was sitting. I hunted about a mile away and heard one when I started calling but never saw him.We have noticed coyotes in these woods for the last couple of seasons. This year I turkey hunted the spring season.I bowhunted, and muzzleloader hunted for deer,and made a trip to try calling for the canines.After the spring turkey season, the only sign that of a turkey that I could find was two sets of tracks in the snow.Normaly I will see a couple of flocks of birds while bowhunting.Its my belief that the dogs and coons have hurt the population of turkeys in this section of woods.I base this on the number of broken egg shells that I found away from the nests and in the trails.Based on these observations and experience's I believe that coyotes eat turkeys and will respond to turkey calls.

------------------
The more I practice the luckier I get.

Back