Ultimate Eastern Calling Gun?

Hunted One,

I'm certainly not a BAR expert but I'm somewhat an expert in prices and availability of the Stalkers since I've looked intensely for one for over 6 months. That price you found is very good.

The 243 Stalker isn't a big seller because the people that primarily buy them are deer hunters that want a lightweight, quality semi-auto and varmint hunters like us.

Both those groups are pretty small.

Oh yeah... It's a nice rifle for women and kids to hunt with too but the temptation is GREAT for kids to blast away and that can develop bad hunting habits.

Most people that buy a BAR collect them because they have beautiful wood and nice blueing. For many, many years Browning has done well with the several grades of BAR's and have produced tens of thousands of fancy ones.

The 243 Stalkers don't cost any more than any other short action BAR but just don't experience the demand of the 308 which is pretty well known as the "perfect running deer" rifle and as such is very popular with the southern hound hunters.

Hope this helps some and maybe you can help someone else that is looking in vain for one. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif

$bob$

Thanks Idhunter.

I see a number of 30/06's and some 270's and some that are classified as Belgium made. Not a lot of 308's though. This was the first 243 I ever saw at that shop and the price just didn't sound right for what it was. Not compared to what they sell other guns for there anyway. They are kind of high most of the time

Oh well, I don't feel like I was robbed when I got mine. If I had seen the used one, I probably would have bought it but I'm pretty happy with the one I have. If I could justify a second one I would buy it.

Thanks again,

Al

Well, that's a super price for sure! Almost too good to be true, makes a fellow a little worried doesn't it? Hard to say, most likely it's a great bargain for someone. Do they offer a warranty/return? If a buyer feels risk free and shopping with a reputable shop, then someone will surely go for it and most likely have a great rifle. I have two BAR's an 06' steel frame for deer/big game and this lightweight synthetic .243 that i use for predator calling. Since this post got resurrected from the dusty archives and the BAR wasn't in my original post, here's my little jewel and a target to boot.

307736.JPG

307673.jpg

Well GC, believe it or not, it was your post over here and on Huntamerica that sold me on the BAR. I think it is the perfect calling gun for the areas I hunt and the size of some of the coyotes here in the east.

The shop is very large and will let you return a firearm if there is something wrong with it, and they will either fix it or refund your money. I think they give you 30 days but I am not entirely sure on that one. I have purchased a number of firearms from them over the years and never had a problem with any of them. It is nice to have a reputalble shop in your area.

It's nice to have folks like you give good advice on these borads too. The BAR recomendation was right on.

Al

Al,

They might just not be able to sell it. It's summertime and most people don't have any use for a lightweight 243 BAR anyway.

Gary,

Hey... Are you still using the 75gr V-Max bullet? I need somewhere to start my handloading from. If so should I load for approximate factory duplication velocity?

Also do you know the twist of these barrels?

And one more thing... How's your Dad doing? Haven't heard you mention him lately.

$bob$

Wouldn't it be wonderful if a man didn't need a small loan to buy a good rifle anymore /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-006.gif I'm getting old and fully realize it. I can remember whan just a couple hundred dollars bought a Bar.A hundred and change bought a rem 788.

Due to reg's in one area I hunt I am considering the rem 597 in 22 mag. Even that piddly little thing needs a small loan /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif Jimmie

THO,
Thanks for the good words. Let us know how your rifle works out for you this calling season. A few pic's with some shot dead critters is always nice and I beleive you're the guy to do it! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Bob,
I'm bouncing between the 75 grain V-Max and the 85 grain Sierra BTHP GameKing. Both are very accurate from my rifle and both give dead right there terminal performance. The one thing is this, there are some hogs in my calling areas and I'd feel more comfortable with the Sierra BTHP GameKing than the more explosive V-Max if I get a shot at a hog. Also, I think dad is going to use my .243 this coming deer season and certainly the Sierra is the best choice for dual purpose without changing over to a 100 grain load which would probably need a sight in change. So, if strictly coyote hunting the V-Max has served me exceptionally well. For dual purpose, I have to go with the tougher Sierra GameKing. I use Varget and could only recommend you begin with the starting load in the manuals and go through the drill of working up from there. My chronograph tells me I'm getting 3,121 fps from the BAR's 20" inch barrel for the 85 grain Sierra. The load is not maxed out, it's very consistent, and shoots nice tidy round bug hole groups. I do not know the twist of these barrels. I've not shot a bullet weight lower than 70 grains through my rifle and it shot those plenty accurate. Same for some 105 grain Speers I had on hand, those shot better the faster I pushed them. Dad is fine, though he's slowing up some. It saddens me that I know my days afield with him are numbered. He's a gamer though and is still making plans for this years hunts. Fact is he's getting antsy to go squirrel hunting, but it's still a little earlier yet.

Jimmie,
I feel your pain brutha!

Hey Jimmie,

I know where you can get a Rem 597 with a grey laminated stock in 17 HMR for 240. The gun is in like new condition. The shop had two of them. I bought one, the other is still there.

LOL, Sorry Al but I stopped squirrel hunting some years ago /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-006.gif

We have a Gander Mountain store in Paducah. It's the gunners candy store, where you can feel up the latest beauties in steel and wood or plastic. 240 is about the same price they have on them. They also have a pot load of the HMR'S that have been traded back in for real rifles /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-006.gif But for all the neat toys they have there isn't a single caplock rifle in the blackpowder section /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

They have a real problem keeping the drool off the floors back there. Just about all weapons makers are represented.Jimmie

GC,

I'm glad to hear that your Dad's still excited about hunting.

Say... Have you looked at the 85gr Nosler Partition as a hunting bullet choice for the wild porkers?

I've never tried the Sierra but I'm sure it'd be a good option too.

I was planning to try the 87gr Vmax and see if the 85gr Partition hit close to the same point of aim but from what I hear that 75gr V-Max is about perfect for 'yotes.

I hear yah on the Varget. It's my favorite rifle powder and I go through a lot of it. The reason I asked about duplicating a factory load was I din't know how the BAR would respond to "reduced loads".

$bob$

I thought of the Nosler Partition, but honestly feel the Sierra will do the job (I know it's a deer killer!) and I can afford to shoot a bunch of them for cheap as compared to the Partition bullet. For coyotes I've used the old style Hornady 87 grain BTHP for years and the later the newer 87 grain V-Max. Both do the job with authority! The 75 grain V-Max proved so darned accurate that it's hard to get away from it. The Sierra BTHP is about as good a shooter in my rifle so I don't think I'll be missing much do to any fault other than my own. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif Regarding reduced loads, I'd don't know and figure you'd simply have some trial and error until you figure out a reliable threshold.

Here I am, on the verge of building a new AR upper for yotes, and you guys have to pop up with this thread! Arrggghhhh!
I don't if y'all remember, but this was a post of mine a while back, rebuild AR upper or BAR. I pretty well settled on rebuilding the AR upper due to cost, but here y'all are, talking about BARs and their accuracy and awesomeness again. STOP IT! JUST STOP IT! I'm sitting here thinking, "if I trade in my cheap 1911 and my Vanguard .270 I'd have that BAR mostly paid for.....Then if I sell my AR upper and buy an inexpensive A2 upper I'd have it completely paid for and a nice AR...."
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused1.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smiliesmack.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/angry-smiley-055.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

(how much do those BARs weigh? nvm: a light 7lb 2oz, about 3lb lighter than my AR will prolly be)

Last edited:
Jim,
Actually I think the synthetic version of the BAR Lwt. and the Short Trac is lighter than the weight you quoted. That's one of my gripes with the AR, the weight. I've got a good AR and it's accurate and a ton of fun to shoot. But the dang hand grip seems to migrate to my kidney when slung regardless of how I carry it, it's heavy, not as natural a pointer as the BAR for quick shots, and then there is the caliber. The .223 will kill coyotes all day long with no problems, mostly... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

Quote:
Jim,
Actually I think the synthetic version of the BAR Lwt. and the Short Trac is lighter than the weight you quoted. That's one of my gripes with the AR, the weight. I've got a good AR and it's accurate and a ton of fun to shoot. But the dang hand grip seems to migrate to my kidney when slung regardless of how I carry it, it's heavy, not as natural a pointer as the BAR for quick shots, and then there is the caliber. The .223 will kill coyotes all day long with no problems, mostly... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

GC, have you tried using a sling similar to the "biathalon type slings" on the AR? I use the regular GI-type sling along with a second quick detach sling to carry my AR in the center of my back. This makes it easier to carry (for me) and the rifle lays flat against my back. If you've got a spare sling handy, you might want to try it. MI VHNTR

Two on Gunbroker right now. Sic 'em boy.

Quote:
I would give my other eye tooth for one of these little honey's in .243 Win.
031219m.jpg

GC,
When you told me about it a couple of years ago I took what you told me about the AR pistol grib gouging you to heart. This past winter I dug up a lenght of seat belt strap, did a little cutting, sewing, melting and painting and made a great sling for my AR that keeps it at the ready and the grip away from my body parts. I can strap it to hang diagonally across the front of the torso or slip it around to the back for a long hike. It allows me to keep it off the ground while setting up, too. Granted, it doesn't look like much but for the price I'm happy.
Rich, when you first posted that picture some time back I was ready to trade my newly aquired AR in on one much to my boys' chegrin. That is a pretty rifle. If I didn't use my rifle as a dual purpose for High Power and Hunting a BAR would get the nod. Shame they don't make them in .223.

I have a "tactical" sling that will enable me to sling the AR and prevent the kidney poking. I've also slung the rifle upside down. However, the weight and handling qualities don't compare to the BAR for me personally so my decision to convert to the Browning rifle was relatively easy. I also like the .243 cartridge and that's a plus in my view over the .223. I've heard tell of a .22-250 version of the BAR but have yet to see it. The new .223 WSSM would make a dandy varmint/predator rig too (if it's feed reliable?). It wouldn't surprise me if that euro look Short Trac was eventually chambered for the .223 WSSM, and if a guy was real lucky it'd come factory camo dipped!

I just found a 23" or 25" barreled Rem' SP-10, factory camo'ed for just under $600. Should I jump on it? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif
I already have a 11-87 SuperMag. (3 1/2" 12ga) Would the 10ga be that much more of an improvement? It did seem a bit heavy at the time, but I'm not sure it's that much heavier than the 11-87. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused1.gif
Well, what do you guys think? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Back