TC Pro Hunter

Craig S

I held a new TC Pro Hunter muzzleloader tonight and was quite impressed with it. If I were to purchase this rifle, I would also want the 12 gauge slug barrel for local deer hunting and the .204 ruger barrel for predator hunting. Now, would this mean I would have to purchase a rifle and a shotgun forearm to accomodate these other two barrels, if I bought the muzzleloader? Also, can you use the Encore barrels/forearms on this Pro Hunter frame?

Accuracy with either of these barrels? 28" barrel seems really long to me.

Thanks

Craig

Craig I have not bought any extra barrels yet but Encore barrels will fit the pro hunter accuracy is great with my 28'' 30-06 and a friend has the .50 cal muzzle loader and the same great accuracy. I think the forarms are the same but don't take my word for it. Do a search or check www.tcarms.com happy hunting

Stan,

I just checked the site and they list a Pro Hunter forearm for the muzzle loader and the rifle, but I did not see one for the shotgun Barrel. I may have to call TC tomorrow.

Thanks

Craig

different barrel shapes bull, muzzle loader,pistol,regular rifle barrels,shotgun diff. shape barrels take different forarms same shape same forarm

I have a TC prohunter with the 204 barrel. You will need to get a different forend for both the shotgun and the muzzleloader. I plan on doing exacly what you want to do. You can get the forends for around $50 or maybe a little less if you look around. My 204 is very accurate! My buddy has one also and loves it. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif

Hi Craig
Bucksnort is right on this. Muzzle loader, rifle, shotgun and pistol all different forearms. All encore barrels fit the pro hunter and visa versa. One thing to remember some calibers reach optimum velocity at shorter distances and the extra barrel length is just waste. Encore is great, but the trigger pull is terrible from the factory.

CaigS,

DO NOT BUY the 12 shotgun "slug" barrel. The 12 gauge SLUG barrel does not have enough steel in the breech area to allow for the standard Encore rear screw holes. The barrel requires a forward scope base to accomadate a scope. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smiliesmack.gif

The "recoil" of the 12 gauge slug barrel is just punishing.

However 20 gauge slug barrel "DOES" use the standard rear scope mounting holes and with the QUALITY of 20 gauge saboted slugs available today you will not sacrifice any killing power. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

I just "sighted in" a 20 gauge slug barrel for a friend using the Hornady 20 gauge SST ammo. The first 2 shots at 50 and 75 yards would touch and the last group shot at 100 yards measured 1.40 inches for 3 shots. This is exceptioal accuracy for a slug "RIFLE". /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ooo.gif

The Encore/Pro hunter 12 and 20 gauge use a seperate forearm. The pro hunter centerfire rifle uses a centerfire forearm and the ML uses its own forearm to accomodate the barrel diameter and ramrod.

Buy the muzzleloader first and then add the other barrels later. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif

Since you live in Maryland, the Gunshack in Mount Airy,MD has the Camo Pro hunter in .50 for $829.00. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/bowingsmilie.gif

Hoggy

Last edited:
Could anyone tell me the overall length of the Pro Hunter with the 28" barrel?

And, thanks for all your replies.

Craig

You won't be disappointed with the Pro-Hunter. I just bought a .50 Encore a week ago and am very pleased with it. About the only difference between the two is the swing hammer and possibly the stock options.

After taking it to the range three times this week I was able to work up a good load and got 2 shots in one hole at 50 yards before it got dark.

If you decide to get one just remember that even though the handgun barrels will fit it is illegal to put a barrel shorter than 18" on a rifle receiver. The butt pad even states this.

Toxophilis,
When did the law change to 18 inch for rifle. It was always 16 inch for rifled barrel with at least 26 inch overall gun lenth . 18 inch for shotgun with a full shoulder buttstock not sure of length. Thompson centers contender carbine barrels were initialy 16 1/4 inch in length. Revolvers are 3 inch minimum unless they meet an accuracy criteria at 7 yards.

(d) Rifle with a barrel length of less than sixteen
inches, or shotgun with a barrel length of
less than eighteen inches, or any firearm that is
made from a rifle or shotgun and that, as modified,
has an overall length of less than twenty-six
inches
found this under federal Gunlaws Arizona / Colorado project exile. Hope it helps

Quote:
Hi Craig
Bucksnort is right on this. Muzzle loader, rifle, shotgun and pistol all different forearms. All encore barrels fit the pro hunter and visa versa. One thing to remember some calibers reach optimum velocity at shorter distances and the extra barrel length is just waste. Encore is great, but the trigger pull is terrible from the factory.

Get Mike Bellms instructions for doing a trigger job, and it will go from being terrible, to being one of the best you have ever used.

Oops. Yes DancingBear is correct. My error. It was supposed to be written as a barrel less than 16" on the Encore. That is what I get for writing without wearing my goggles.

The shot gun uses the heavy rifle "Bull Barrel" forearm. Barrels are interchangeble between the "pro Hunter" and the standard Encore only differance according to TC is the swing hammer. Been looking to do somthing similar but Deer cal and varment cal with maybe a shot gun barrel as well.

Another question. I was able to shoot a standard Encore over the weekend with a 12 gauge slug barrel and the felt recoil and the muzzle jump off the bench was quite substantial. Does TC's new "Flex Tech" (I think that's what they call it) stock effectively tame the recoil over the standard Encore stock? They claim 43% less felt recoil with their new stock on the Pro Hunter.

Thanks

Craig

Craig I can't measure recoil but will say it feels a lot less than any other 30-06 I have shot. I bought the sims recoil slip on pad for my wife's .243 rem. and it seems to work well also.

The gun shop up the street is getting a Pro Hunter in tomorrow with the thumbhole stock. I've never held one of these types of stocks, but by just looking at it on the Pro Hunter, it appears as if this style may interfere with easily cocking the hammer versus the pistol grip style butt stock. Any difficulties you know of or are there no problems?

Thanks

Back