22-250 Bullet for fox

BrentWin

I know its over kill, but has anyone found a bullet that won't rip big holes in a fox. FMJ bullets are not legal in my state.

Thanks
Brent

Nope. Most of the guys doing the harvest thing use the 17 Remington. If you handload you may be able to load it down to 222 velocities that might help.

Brent, What cal. are you shooting?

Have you tried any nosler partitions? They seem to do allright by me.

Damage seems to be on how the bullet goes in, a good placement seems to yield little damage.

I used to have the same problem with bobcat. Seems when I am at gun shows I might find a unopened box or two of sierra fmj round nose. They are old but they still look good to reload. I notice you might get a runner every once in a while but they dont go far. For hide repair you cant beat it.

I have taken fox with several guns including a shot gun. Although one silver killed with a shotgun netted $80, wisdom says smaller caliber is better. If I had to choose one bullet for .22-250 it would be a pointed soft point. I have found that some of the factory loads are a little slower. Generally it will leave a small entry and small exit if you stay away from large bones. Trapped fox and a .22 look great. Good Luck

Tough call on the .22-250 as it usually gets ugly with the foxes for me. Of course I've always shot the 40gr noslers or vmax's.

Bobcat are a toss up on whether or not you hit a rib going out. Last weekend was a perfect example. First cat PURRFECT. Second cat, caught a rib and left a baseball hole going out.

Good Luck

I shot a fox in MI with a 22-250, only thing that saved that hide is it was an on comming shot (head on). I shot it with Winchester 45gr. HP. 4000 fps. and it only had a small hole in the hide.

I have shot other things with it like woodchucks, and it depends on the shot but sometimes it will explode the smaller ones.

BrentWin, years ago I shot a max load of IMR 4350 with the 60g Sierra hp, the bullet did not open up on yotes unless you hit a rib or a sholder. I remember shooting a kit fox with it and it put a nickel size hole in it.

The problem with shooting a bullet this tough is that you may loose animals. I did try and shoot FMJ in the early 80's, but lost a lot of animals...I got them, but I did not get them.

I have had great luck with the Accuracy loads that are listed in the Nolser manual. Not all of their accuracy loads are the loads that my rifle likes, but it is surprising how often the accuracy load for my gun ends up being within 1.0g of what the Nosler book says.

You may want to check the Nosler manual for some of their minimum loads that they say is the most accurate for that bullet. Just substitute for a less explosive bullet of the same weight.

Back