It said, "CRACK!"

rainshadow1

Custom Call Maker
I pulled it out of the vice and looked it over, didn't see any cracks, so I went ahead and put it back in and laid it up. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused1.gif

After sanding down on the bone, sure enough, I found the crack. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smiliesmack.gif

It looks good from this side...
DSC02539.jpg

But the flip side make the heart sink! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/mad.gif
DSC02540.jpg

The bone is brittle enough that a flake of bone covered the crack when I pulled it out of the vice. But after sanding down, it showed plain as day... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/angry-smiley-055.gif
DSC02549.jpg

This one is a lay-up scale of Arizona deadfall Mesquite, and black Mycarta, followed by the infamous bone, with mosaic pins.

I think it'll probably end up in a Christmas stocking this year. I have someone in mind, they'll understand.

Back to the shed to redeem myself! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif

It is called "character". Beautiful work. So sorry it's cracked. I'm sure you put a lot of work into that piece.
That's gonna be one happy recipient.

Oh, it won't come apart, the epoxy bled up thru the crack as it clamped, it's essentially once piece again, just with a line thru it. It came out beautiful aside from that, but I've got a real worthy recipient come Christmas Morning. He'll be tickled. Hard working guy, uses his vacation days to hunt... there's a good gauge of character! He deserves something nice.

Several good lessons learned for me.

Quote:
I've got a real worthy recipient come Christmas Morning. He'll be tickled. Hard working guy, uses his vacation days to hunt... there's a good gauge of character! He deserves something nice.

Several good lessons learned for me.

Why THANK YOU rainshadow. Your awesome. Do you still have my address? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Keep watching, Bearle! The pinned bone wasn't new, I should have done two or three things different (things I knew but had never bit me before) and that's where the problem arose... The joint between the Mycarta and the Mesquite on the other hand......

The blade is flawless, I just didn't clean it properly or get the lights out for these photos.

Back