how far do you sight in you rifle befor hunting coyote?

Quote:
Sure there was a time ..... But that was before the idea of shooting down the Pipe became popular. What is shooting down the pipe? Imagine the kill zone of a given aninal, then imagine a pipe between you and the animal with the pipe laying over the kill zone. The distance where your bullet starts at the bottom of the pipe and never raises above the pipe and falls to the bottom is your effective range. For many modern bullets sighting in at 1.5" high at 100 yards the bullet will stay inside the pipe (and inside the kill zone) well past 200 yards. I believe in the K.I.S.S. principle sighting in at 1.5" seems logical. By the way sighting in at 100 yards will put your bullet high at 125-150 yards in most modern firearms.

yes, I'm familiar with the philosophy... I just don't subscribe to it. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

I sight all my rifles in at 2.5" high at 100 yards. A coyote at 50 yards is dead-on or maybe a little bit low. It's hard to say for certain because when the crosshairs are on the dog, I squeeze. Pretty much all my calling shots are under 100 although I once took a 600 yard shot at a dog that ran past me and sat out there watching for about 20 minutes. I hit about 20 yards too short and covered him with dirt. Funny watching his reaction because at that distance the bullet gets there before the sound and I could see him thru the scope going "Hey,what???" when the dirt covered him, then the "BOOOOMMMMM!!!!" reached him and then "YIKES!!!!", he tore out of there.

Anyway... 2.5" high at 100 yards works for me. It's just whatever you get used to.

.223 is on at 100 as most of my called in shots are well under that, and I can still hold well within the dog out to 300.

I sight my rifles in at 50 yards. I can't see anything at 200 yards /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif They call me Ray....but I don't know why /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused1.gif

so when you say you sight it in at 1'' or 1.5'' hight at 100yds..does that mean you are aiming at the bullseye and its hitting 1'' high? or are you actually aiming 1'' high above the bullseye and hitting that spot above the bullseye? kinda confused.im used to zeroing it in at 100.

Quote:
so when you say you sight it in at 1'' or 1.5'' hight at 100yds..does that mean you are aiming at the bullseye and its hitting 1'' high?

Correct. Aim at the bullseye and the point of impact of the bullet should be a certain amount high (or dead-on, or whatever you want).

Here's a link:
http://www.rifle-accuracy-reports.com/sighting-in.html

I'm trying to find a diagram of the bullet crossover and not having much luck.

Back