Nonresident Utah deer hunter

d2admin

Administrator
I drew a nonresident deer tag this season for the Utah Central Zone.

I hunted this area last season in the Park City and Wasatch State Park areas. We took out deer (2 forks between 4 hunters) but nothing I was willing to shoot. Only saw one small 3x3 and a whole mess of forks.

Can any of you locals put me in a better area without giving up your “secret spots”?

I’m not a horn hunter but I do have a 3x3 or better standard, can’t bring myself to shoot forks.

Thanks,

Steve

Steve, I feel for ya buddy but all I can tell ya is that you the wrong tag. The central region isn't known for very big deer. The areas I hunt theres a few good ones but it's a bowhunting area only. If your looking for bigger deer, you need to go south and start putting in for limited entry. You probably won't find much help here but go over to www.monstermuleys.com for some tips.

We've been hunting the central region now for about 5 years. This year we did draw for the southeastern area. However, we have taken quite a few nice bucks out of there. Last year I got a 25 in 3x4 and two buddys got about the same in 4x4. Look on the map for a town called Nephi along I-15. It is just south of the Provo area by about 20-30 min. South of that is a town called Levan.....east of Levan in the mountains there is area called chicken creek. That is a good place to start. How is that? Let me know if I can help further..with out divulging my "secret" spots of course. Lol..good luck brother!

C

Levan Canyon is a great place, but if your looking for the biggest deer in the Central Region try hiking up Mt Nebo's Basins. On the eastern side there are some great bucks. A friend of mine killed a 29" four point in the basins last year.It is quite alot of hiking but if your looking for a decent buck thats your place. Starting from Nephi you can drive east up to the Nebo loop road. Once up the canyon a ways you will find a sign that will say Nebo Bench Trail. This leads up to the basins. Its a pretty long hike. send me an email if you need more info.

Steve.....depending on how you want to hunt, either is good. There is a lot more private land to deal with up by nebo, but it is still a good place. As for big deer, they are there in levan too! Last year I watched one that went about 30-31 in. wide and heavy hanging out with a 27 in. 4x4. Both of them laid there on the top of a saddle and watched the trucks roll past...sure enough they were deep into the thick steep crap the next morning! If you do happen to see and shoot the monster porcupine headed buck running around the levan area....at least let me come and touch him, I've been after him FOREVER!!!

Email me as well if you need any help.

Good luck!

C

I don't remember what unit its in, but if you can draw for the area of Monroe Mountain, you will be settin pretty. I drew for Monroe several years ago and took a nice 4x4 with a bow. Saw several others that were the same size or larger. Good luck on your hunt!

Back